Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buffy movie in the works (for real)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raquin
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, all very true. I wasn't part of the fandom back then, but I do know that Joss took on a multitude of projects and sort of neglected BtVS as well as AtS. And all I can make of that is this: remove Joss and the end product just isn't as good. And that he apparently has a lot of ambitions and less focus.

I did hear something about that girl from Glee being cast! Although, I also heard Megan Fox somewhere. Confused Pick your poison.
Kean
Chosen One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I recall there has been absolutely zero confirmed casting announcements. In fact, I don't believe there has been anymore talk on it since the initial announcement. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing was shelved.
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kean wrote:
As far as I recall there has been absolutely zero confirmed casting announcements. In fact, I don't believe there has been anymore talk on it since the initial announcement. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing was shelved.

I was wondering about that.

Welcome, Raquin! I can't express how wonderful it feels whenever we get a new member here, especially an enthusiastic and well-spoken one.
Raquin
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't surprise me either way, to be honest. I'm guessing they want to milk the cow for all the money it's worth, even if they don't expect the movie to turn out great.

Kairos wrote:
Welcome, Raquin! I can't express how wonderful it feels whenever we get a new member here, especially an enthusiastic and well-spoken one.

Thank you! I'm only semi-new -- I came here a few weeks ago as mondegreens but had to get a new username -- but it's great to have an active BA haven. Smile I've been lurking quite a bit.
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Buffy reboot movie is dead according to Hero Complex.

https://twitter.com/#!/LATherocomplex/status/149895882542817280

@LATherocomplexGeoff Boucher

Remember the stir about the first-time screenwriter hired for "Buffy" reboot? (http://lat.ms/adE2EF) She's been fired & project is in limbo.
46 minutes ago via web

@LATherocomplexGeoff Boucher

@theonetruebix I don't have details about the back and forth but I know 100% (and from two sources) that script was rejected as unworkable
12 minutes ago

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/12/22/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-movie-looking-for-new-writer/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=63378

‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ movie looking for new writer

Dec. 22, 2011

Screenwriter Whit Anderson (Sam Comen)

That big-screen revamp of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” has been dealt a setback — it looks as though the movie’s first-time screenwriter bit off more than she could chew.

Two sources close to the project say that the script submitted this past summer by writer Whit Anderson fell far short of expectations and, in the end, was rejected completely. That’s news that will spark celebration from some longtime “Buffy” fans who were less than thrilled by the prospects of a “Buffy” revival that didn’t involve Joss Whedon. Whedon, now directing “The Avengers” for Marvel, himself took a few shots at the reboot project — although he did so with a sly wink.

“This is a sad, sad reflection on our times,” Whedon said last November when that deal was announced, “when people must feed off the carcasses of beloved stories from their youths — just because they can’t think of an original idea of their own, like I did with my Avengers idea that I made up myself.”

As for the future of “Buffy”? A new writer is being sought but the entire endeavor may have lost some steam. There also might be some healthy fear among the producers who witnessed a spasm of fan criticism when the project was first publicized.

“If you’re going to bring it back, you have to do it right,” one key player in the project told Hero Complex. “[Anderson] came in with some great ideas and she had reinvented some of the lore and it was pretty cool but in the end there just wasn’t enough on the page.”

— Geoff Boucher

http://www.avclub.com/articles/that-new-joss-whedonless-buffy-the-vampire-slayer%2C67001/

That new, Joss Whedon-less Buffy The Vampire Slayer movie may not be happening after all

by Sean O'Neal December 22, 2011

The big-screen reimagining of Buffy The Vampire Slayer—which would imagine a world where Joss Whedon had no involvement, and somehow everyone who might want to see a new Buffy movie would be okay with that—might not be such a sure thing anymore, reports the L.A. Times, who notes that producers have apparently had second thoughts about that earlier script submitted by novice screenwriter Whit Anderson. According to one unnamed source close to the project, Anderson’s take had “some great ideas and she had reinvented some of the lore and it was pretty cool, but in the end there just wasn’t enough on the page.” (Though to be fair, it was better than what Warner Bros. initially had on the page, which was “NAME RECOGNITION + REMAKE + SEXY GIRLS - WHEDON - WHINERS x 3-D? = FUCK YOU.”) Anyway, while there’s some speculation that the studio may continue looking for a new writer to take a run at it, but even more speculation that the idea “may have lost some steam” after the Internet self-immolated over the news, and the studio remembered that, oh yeah, Buffy The Vampire Slayer fans are kind of protective of that show.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2011/12/22/buffy-reboot-stalks-new-writer/

Buffy Reboot Stalks New Writer

Thursday, December 22nd, 2011
by Kevin Melrose

It’s been more than a year since Warner Bros. drew jeers from fans of Joss Whedon by announcing plans to remake the 1992 Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie without the involvement of the writer. Since then, except for the occasional dismissive quote from the cast of the television series, it’s been pretty quiet on the Sunnydale front. And now, thanks to the Los Angeles Times, we may know why.

Citing “two sources close to the project,” the newspaper reports the studio rejected the script submitted over the summer by screenwriter Whit Anderson, whose concept for the reboot was described last year as “pretty compelling and a lot of fun.” But this morning on Twitter, LA Times writer Geoff Boucher said her draft is now being called “unworkable.”

Buffy is apparently now in limbo as Warner Bros. and Atlas Entertainment search for a new writer, news that will likely be met with cheers from Whedon devotees.

http://blastr.com/2011/12/remember-that-joss-less-b.php

Remember that Joss-less Buffy movie? It's deader than a staked vamp

No one was really thrilled when Fox announced they were going to reboot Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer as a feature film without Joss Whedon's participation—no one save the screenwriter who landed the gig. Now we can all breathe a sigh of relief, as this NuBuffy seems destined for the Development Hellmouth.

According to The L.A. Times' Geoff Boucher, who runs their Hero Complex blog, writer Whit Anderson delivered the script for her attempted reboot of Buffy Summers and her world-saving crew and it has been received less than favorably:

When asked if he could elaborate, Boucher responded thusly:

Listen, as much as we're glad this project has stalled, it's not because we wish Anderson any ill. She was faced with the unenviable, Herculean task of revamping one of pop culture's greatest characters in the face of what must've been crippling fandom scorn and massive studio pressure ... without any help from the man who made Buffy relevant in the first place.

A Whedon-less reboot was a bad idea, from soup to nuts, and Anderson seems to have been the person designated to fall on her sword.

Maybe, post-Avengers, the money men will come to their senses and go straight to the source.

(via Hero Complex's Twitter)

http://www.moviehole.net/201150959-merry-christmas-whedonless-buffy-movie-may-be-dead

Merry Christmas! Whedonless Buffy movie may be dead!

Whit Anderson’s script completely rejected

Author : "Caffeinated" Clint
Thursday, December 22nd, 2011

Remember the brouhaha that erupted when it was announced a new “Buffy, the Vampire Slayer” movie was in the works… creator Joss Whedon, series spunk Sarah Michelle Gellar and, most criminally, Danny Strong as the luckless Jonathan!?

Well, consider your prayers answered purists!

Not only has screenwriter Whit Anderson been fired from the movie reboot but the film itself may have given up the ghost.

“fell far short of expectations and, in the end, was rejected completely.” The source continued to explain a little more into the firing: “If you’re going to bring it back, you have to do it right,” one key player in the project told Hero Complex. “[Anderson] came in with some great ideas and she had reinvented some of the lore and it was pretty cool but in the end there just wasn’t enough on the page.”

Hero Complex say they’ve heard from two sources close to the project who say that the script submitted this past summer by Anderson fell far short of expectations and, in the end, was rejected completely.

“If you’re going to bring it back, you have to do it right,” one source said. “[Anderson] came in with some great ideas and she had reinvented some of the lore and it was pretty cool but in the end there just wasn’t enough on the page.”

The idea stunk, anyway. We all know, having witnessed the 1992 “Buffy” film, that not having Whedon in charge of the property only sees the offering go awry.

Here’s what should be done : The CW should recognize the potential in those “Buffy” telemovies that Whedon tried to convince them to make five years or so ago and greenlight a couple. Sarah Michelle Gellar is back doing “The Ringer” at the network, so surely they can push her into the stage next door for a couple of hours to hold a stake and swoon over an undead vampire? And you just know Anthony Head, Nicholas Brendon, Emma Caulfield, James Marsters, Michelle Trachtenberg, Eliza Dushku and D.B Woodside are waiting ror the call.

They’ll be hard-pressed convincing David Boreanaz, now a bonafide star again thanks to FOX’s “Bones”, to come back as Angel and CBS likely won’t want to free up Alyson Hannigan from “How I Met Your Mother” to reprise her role as Willow, and it may take a medium to get John Ritter to reprise ‘Ted’, but there’s enough Whedon-regulars still keen on the idea of a “Buffy” reunion to make it possible. And hey! if Whedon hasn’t got time for more “Buffy” at this stage, what with those multimillion dollar blockbusters he has under his charge, there’s always a protege like Tim Minear or David Grossman or Drew Goddard!?
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://movies.ign.com/articles/121/1215440p1.html

Buffy Loses Screenwriter, World Cheers

But the project's not dead... yet.

December 22, 2011

The Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie reboot has hit a snag, with the project's newbie scripter reportedly going all Ted on everyone. Reference!

Hero Complex reports that "the script submitted this past summer by writer Whit Anderson fell far short of expectations and, in the end, was rejected completely." Anderson's hiring seemed odd back in November of 2010 if only because no one had really ever heard of her before.

Meanwhile, the site reports that the hunt for a new writer is on but "the entire endeavor may have lost some steam. There also might be some healthy fear among the producers who witnessed a spasm of fan criticism when the project was first publicized."

Don't worry. They'll reboot it eventually.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52378

.A. Times: That Willow-Free, Giles-Free, Whedon-Free Big-Screen BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER Has Entered ‘Limbo’!!

Published at: Dec 22, 2011

I am – Hercules!!

One of the least-loved projects in all of movie development, a reboot of “Buffy The Vampire Slayer” that would have excluded the characters of Willow Rosenberg, Xander Harris, Rupert Giles, Oz, Angel and Spike, is dunzo, according to Los Angeles Times’ Geoff Boucher.

Whit Anderson, a twentysomething actress with little screenwriting experience, has been fired as the project’s writer. Her script “was rejected as unworkable,” according to two of Boucher’s sources.

Joss Whedon, who masterminded the widely acclaimed Sarah Michelle Gellar TV series, would have had no creative participation in the proposed movie. Whedon was never offered creative control of the project, and has been busy writing, producing and/or directing such big-screen projects as “Cabin In The Woods” and Marvel’s “The Avengers.”

Millions of fans, meanwhile, continue to clamor for a Whedon-directed “Buffy” movie featuring the TV series’ cast and characters. Perhaps if “Cabin” and “Avengers” do well in the spring, Fox will contemplate reviving the series in, as Ben Stern would say, a proper manner.

Find Blastr’s story on the matter here.
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://badassdigest.com/2011/12/23/the-new-buffy-movie-is-temporarily-staked/

Published December 23, 2011 by Devin Faraci

The New BUFFY Movie Is Temporarily Staked

Newbie screenwriter gets dragged through the mud.

You have to feel bad for Whit Anderson. The screenwriter is a newcomer, and out the gate she ended up with a not-so-choice assignment: writing a remake of the movie Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Anderson was stuck with the movie, and couldn't use any of the larger mythology or characters created for the TV show. On the one hand she was being forced to use a movie that wasn't that great, but on the other hand she was looked upon as encroaching on sacred territory, even though she wasn't really.

And a year later it's all done anyway. Anderson's script was rejected and the producers are now said to be second-guessing the very idea of rebooting Buffy. The fan uproar was apparently loud enough to scare them off. Does this mean the property just lays stagnant, occasionally appearing in comic books?

By the way, check out the original LA TImes Hero Complex story for this. Does it seem unneccessarily meanspirited to you? Does it seem weird to have a huge photo of a completely unknown screenwriter staring out at the reader? Wouldn't it make more sense for it to be a picture of either the movie Buffy or the TV Buffy? And there's the information from anonymous sources, saying the script "fell far short of expectations and, in the end, was rejected completely." That feels mean as well. Something here is making my gender politics area itch.

http://screenrant.com/buffy-vampire-slayer-movie-reboot-sandy-144958/

‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ Reboot Falls Into Development Limbo

Dec 23, 2011 by Sandy Schaefer

Warner Bros.’ ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ movie reboot has lost its screenwriter. It now looks like the project will stall before it can reach the screen.

When it was announced that Warner Bros. was developing a film reboot of the Buffy the Vampire franchise, the fan reception was pretty overwhelmingly hostile – not only because of the general fondness for Joss Whedon’s TV series, but also due to the writer/director’s complete lack of involvement with the reboot (he is currently busy helming The Avengers for Marvel, as it were).

However, according to a new report, progress on the Buffy revamp has been halted; in fact, for the time being, the project looks to be in danger of collapsing entirely – or, at least, not happening in the (relatively) near future.

Hero Complex has learned that Buffy reboot writer Whit Anderson handed in a script draft for the project back in Summer 2011 that left Warner Bros. officials unimpressed; in the end, the screenplay was rejected entirely. According to an insider, Anderson had originally developed a new take on the traditional Buffy mythos that convinced studio heads to give her ideas a shot, but “in the end there just wasn’t enough on the page.”

The search is now on to find a replacement screenwriter for the Buffy reboot, but immediate indications are that the project has (essentially) fallen into development limbo and doesn’t look to climb back out in the near future. Then again, Warner Bros. has a precedent for giving stalled remakes/reboots a second shot at development (ex. Akira) so don’t completely count out the possibility of a renovated Buffy movie just yet.

All the same, this is good news for those who just couldn’t get behind the idea of rebooting the Buffy franchise – which now encompasses a television show, comic book series, novel tie-ins, and the original (ultra-campy) 1992 movie. Recycling entertainment is all the rage in Hollywood right now, but this is one instance where almost everyone seems to agree: leave the original(s) alone and try something new instead.

Are you still hoping to see a Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot sometime in the future?

Source: LA Times
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COMIC FAN! YOU just brought the bag of prezzies, the tree in lights and the great star of all--that picture when BTVS was so perfect, our hopes rooting for each of these people to have the triumph they deserved, and each of the couples to show love has flowers of every hue that say "I LOVE YOU"--GOSH, you brought the whole holiday in sharing this great news! THANK YOU! COMIC FAN! Heart Embarassed Very Happy

I don't think anyone here ever had anything bad to say for the writer trying to even try and duplicate the magic--AND I just squee'd again thinking of that picture of Giles, BuffynAngel, CordynXander, WillownOz--even though Tara was great, I wouldn't be sad if these ALL had worked out--I am sure the KAZUI-FOOEY is still a seasonal raspberry that still cheers us on. GOSH, JOSS DOING ONE THING was just so GOOD!

WHEW! SUCH a wonderful treasure of memories and SUCH. GOOD.NEWS!

HAPPY WINTER: the sunlight sticks around more and more for ALL of your heart to heart, hand to hand celebrations!

HUGS!
sybil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: