Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEED a hero: YOU!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Misc/Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: NEED a hero: YOU! Reply with quote

I have suffered in the assertion of Joss Whedon's feminism in the fact I have noted so much of its absence. It is what is missing that seems to point to the "other existence" of feminism, humanism, and atheism attributed to Joss's work. Of course, the narrative points to the notions of order and chaotic continuum, as well as, the (lack of) morality in "ends justifies the means" and the struggle to "prove" fate or free will, the struggle to find purpose and even if meaning means anything when "everything dies." Except twinkies.

However, the general sexism encountered by the "minority" in actual structural systems of power that are encountered by females, GLTG, etc--isn't that really what everybody else does? The entrenched view of gender roles has been actually been given lofty notions of virtue? Even when more diversity in the roles people actually could fill are choices that must be avoided for power or even a job?

http://io9.com/5863094/what-if-the-male-avengers-posed-like-scarlett-johanssons-black-widow

I found this in a Times article—I read the nobel prize economist Krugman, recc'd by my friend, chuckit25, so I see this newspaper regularly, if you want the original source.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/movies/the-amazing-spider-man-and-the-modern-comic-book-movie.html?pagewanted=2&_r=3&ref=movies

I am aware comic book has many conventions that readers have to “understand,” and I appreciate the idea that Buffy is supposed to have, somehow, transcended “female story” to be a “human story”—which eludes me, in the male figures, as well, as all persons have “male” and “female” principles that are merely descriptive in the understanding of human experience, development and perceptions, thus are hugely symbolic, which in their naming, is actually simplistic and absolutely does therefore lose its truth--which therefore can't be "talked about."

However, women still carry and have the babies and the political interest here in the US to control “lady parts” was deftly not dealt with in season 9 Buffy in actual consequence. The thing Joss really is supposed to like to talk about in his story book activism.

Raising the question still is important in places where a man with no donkeys for work or wealth, chortles he has no need of donkeys, as he has five wives, while women near a roadway were seen as mere obstacles and not persons, let alone the reality they are an actual (and often entire) economic force for their (entire) families.

But, language itself, no matter how precise, is symbol and a system of symbol (s).

Please show me how my favorite feminist figure in Buffy, and I believe she was created to not be the "victim" who broke her ankle and needed to be saved by some square jawed hero still remains a symbol of feminism, or where "the story" lost sight of its own avatar and what new paradigm holds your interest. The romance of Buffy and Angel looms large here, whatever one desires as ideal.

I would be grateful if any of you could point me to fiction media that has an actual feminist social structure and human beings whose minds comprehend the notion of freedom of all because of it. Yes, people will be flawed and still fail each other and themselves, but the understanding of such a human landscape in existence would be lovely. Besides Sweden. hee hee.

I really am looking hard for this mythical creature and, that could be any gender, maybe a (utopian? ha!) build a world from the edge. Like we actually have.

"I guess I don't believe the only job is "war," and that competition is the human answer to Darwinism, when I do see, even in insects and animals ,that cooperation provides much greater success for all. Ursula le Guinn showed a dominant female world that itself must discover feminism. I guess I need to fall in love and haven’t the eternal time line Joss gives Buffy, even as he readily kills people for their even more horrorific existence. I think he requires his audience to hate the characters they once loved before he kills them to love them again. It's not useful to me, but I'm not all that complicated, I guess. I love loyally.

In fairness, feminism , to my mind, ameliorates emotional isolation and rigid social structures with diversity, in the respect and celebration of a full spectrum of equal human rights and considered experience, including freedom of speech and access of expression, freedom from fear, the right to meaningful work, and therefore freedom from want, physically and psychologically, whatever gender or sexual orientation, beginning with the right to one's own body and the right to know.

Be my hero and point the way to (modern) wonders I haven't seen! Thanks!

HUGS!
sybil
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I can be of help here. I've never really been interested in feminism as a genre, and when I do explore my feelings on it as a philosophy, I find they come up a lot differently than my peers.

I do look for realistic and interesting female characters, but to recommend my favorite sources of them would just be to recommend my favorite stories. And I usually have plenty of complaints for those, anyway.
Kean
Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I can help either. My relationship with feminism and feminist works has been almost entirely academic. I really don't know of any truly, singular feminist hero in any form of fiction right now. But as you say, if that hero did exist they would be at a loss for the other elements of the human existence that were not just the focus of the female gender.
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What in the world isn't the focus of the female gender? I don't think your academic interests are necessarily off base nor are feminist stories not human stories, as women are humans and mostly super or ultimately human, if you get down to it.

I'm bored with noir, I'm sick of fatales and both are what comic books are made of. The idea that we are told to be moral beings in life and the culture of individualism seems to mean competition, get ahead, kill and some unseemly percentage is literally theft, I find little solace in what is supposedly so admirable these days.

I really don't understand your posts. I probably would like a "human story" that the love affair of the word "hero" was not associated with war. Sick of.

While everyone is watching the blockbuster, I have some awful premises show the world isn't pure excrement because real people actually do have a heart. An example of hope and freedom is out there, e.g. Hanna. I hope Buffy gets that dance you have in your logo, Kean. It's the promise to me.

Thanks for trying.

HUGS!
sybil
LittleRaven
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not entirely sure I know what you mean, or that what I'm about to recommend was intended to be feminist, but Utena's a classic anime with what I and many others read as a feminist storyline and romance. It's got dueling in it, but it's not exactly a fighting solves all problems story. It's complicated.

I'll be thinking on this.
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found a real horror story by Heather Fowler, the BFN of Ducks herself, or Anti-joss. And a fairy tale for I know some of you love the fae.

http://www.quarterlywest.utah.edu/iss_75/iss_75_thecityofgrandmothers.html

NO, this is not what I am looking for exactly, and reminds me of Ursula Le Guinn, but I had to share this with you.

This storywas horrifying as I have "been there," yet have a son (from it) I love with every cell of me, yet I do live (in terror) that he grows and becomes a REAL man. No, not a man's man, his own man.

I would that he be easy in his own skin, and I have encouraged him with martial arts, begun with chuckit25, to be in control of himself, understand that what he feels as pain is exactly why inflicting it on another doesn't help him, and understand that the immediate defense of another is the only reason to ever use what he knows. I hope he can avoid the compettition world that males seem to be "guided" into for all those superlatives for respect that look like pride to me. I hope he has a full emotional palette and is strong and compassionate for it.

I just thought you guys might remember her and her funny and fierce way of writing.

Her page for current and coming work.

http://www.heatherfowlerwrites.com/
and this is the fairy tale sample, about 7 pages:
http://necessaryfiction.com/writerinres/HeatherFowlerAFaerieTale

OF COURSE she is an original B/Aer who really gets it, and she is a feminist, who embraces the whole of being human, (and loving them, in spite of themselves) I think.

LITTLE RAVEN, I thank you (too) as I have had such difficulty in finding something that doesn't require a "kick ass" female to literally physically kick people around. (I always understood the "metaphor" of Buffy fighting demons, so that violence was not quite the same, even if "ugly" and "species" are arguments of one kind of injustice--why beautiful Angelus was so superb to me thwarting this convention). I am sure there will be much to admire in emotional content for our hero! I will happily take up your rec and thank you deeply for it, in advance! I hope we all may "advance!"

HUGS!
sybil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Misc/Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: