Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SMG Talks a Buffy Movie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: SMG Talks a Buffy Movie Reply with quote

SMG talks a Buffy movie.There is also a video of her talking about it.

http://www.eonline.com/news/444217/time-for-a-buffy-movie-kickstarter-campaign-sarah-michelle-gellar-weighs-in?cmpid=eonline-twitter&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=twitterfeed&utm_campaign=twitterfeed_topstories&dlvrit=48939

Time for a Buffy Movie Kickstarter Campaign? Sarah Michelle Gellar Weighs In!

by Kristin Dos Santos

If Veronica Mars can raise more than $5 million for a movie, why can't Buffy do it?

That's the Q we just posed to Buffy herself, Sarah Michelle Gellar, given that Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer is one of the greatest cult TV shows of all time. And while the resident slayer is not totally on board, there is a teensy-tiny sliver on hope for fans!

"Joss and I always talk about a movie," Gellar told me during an interview for E! News. "But the thing with Buffy is that Buffy was a movie, and it ultimately didn't work as a film. And I mean, we had such miles to overcome when we were trying to do a TV show based on a movie. And one of the reasons is that the story works better over time."

And now here comes the tiny sliver: "If there was ever the right story, we would do it."

We'll take it! Right, fans? Even though Gellar also jokes that, "At this point, the stake would be my walker and I would be hobbling in."

Gellar (who is only 36, mind you) is promoting The Crazy Ones, her new CBS comedy starring a young up-and-comer named Robin Williams, who plays her dad. Heard of him? Oh right, he is a legendary actor who got his start on TV with Mork and Mindy (a Happy Days spinoff) in 1978. This new CBS comedy from David E. Kelley is Williams' first foray back on the small screen.

"It was an amazing experience [shooting the first episode]" Robin tells me, "because it's been 32 years since I've been on network TV and a regular of a series, so I came in sort of like [looks terrified], ‘Oh, this is nice.' Then I started to relax. Because it's shot like a movie. There was no studio audience. Because the first live audience for Mork and Mindy was from a mental institution and they laughed at everything."

For the record, Williams is very clear that there are no plans whatsoever to ever reprise his role as Mork from Ork, in a movie or otherwise. So you can keep the dollar bills you've been saving for that.

Gellar and Williams' new series The Crazy Ones, also starring James Wolk (of Mad Men's "Not great, Bob!" fame), premieres this fall on CBS.

Do you want a Buffy movie?

That's pretty much what she's always said.Interesting that it sounds like she still talks to Joss and they've talked about it.

Truthfully as much as I would be thrilled to see a Buffy movie,I think that time has passed.Joss is pretty swamped the next few years.Sarah has a new series.The rest of the cast has things going on.And honestly,I think Joss is getting to scratch his Buffy itch with the comics.

As Sarah brings up,the serial format benefited things over a movie and the comics take that even farther without the issue of budget and real life factors.Seaso n8 began in 2007.Season 9 will end this fall 2013.Than we have season 10 that will probably run another few years.

I would go for a Buffy movie in a nano second but I don't see Joss having a real reason to pursue one since he has the comics to continue Buffy's story.

I think Buffy does need a definitve ending and have felt season 10 should be it with the verse continuing with other spin-offs or more Fray.In my perfect unrealistic world.Season 10 would be the last Buffy season in comics and than everything would wrap up with a movie.No chance in hell but that would be my perfect world.
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You? Weary? Knock me over.

You must have some end in mind that also allows for spin off *and * still provide for a movie. Are you thinking with the original actors or a "new cast" by mojo explanations used in how something demonic moves from slayer to slayer, or how something "spiritual" "infects" something mortal e.g. the vampire, which is canon, but isn't quite like reincarnation or in the use of a flashback story that takes us to the originals talking now?

I really think the comics are going to have it both ways. They will make Buffy an avatar, an archetypal being present in all human beings as the means to search the psyche and to integrate it, and they will show her heading to a "certain doom" with a brand new day on the horizon.

Something that got lost in the comics is that the vampire is a persona with particular qualities of ego who is also a predator of it; and a lot of human beings don't use this kind of persona toward both self preservation that is indeed self sabotaging in a human being. Not to mention, the means of telling the story, DOROTEA brilliantly showed the "conventions" of any old comic have invaded Buffy, which may be popular for some people who look at "Watchmen" as "all different people" than the reality of one guy.

Ibsen: To live is to battle with trolls
In the vaults of heart and brain;
To write: that is to sit
in judgment of oneself.

How do you think Joss views himself? All of these people, but learning?

I think that is where season 10 is going that shows the landscape of the psyche and and its discovery and struggles of the daring slayer's willingness to look and intuit and fight in pain and the pain itself, (as usual), as well as the 'magic mojo' of insight, only brings a new dawn to do it again, but it will be a view 'in the world' but not 'of the world'--(BONNELEAH). I don't know of a better way to describe the interior landscape and the "reflected" reality we call "out there in the world."

Now what I want? I want the full season eight "reversal." I want the mutual death scene of Angel and Buffy, for the world is both lost and split; and the movie to show them in normal and human, with two children. Then do the "retrospective how they got there. What happens "beyond death." It will show (new cast) the split in worlds "of the world" and "in the world" with normal and human Buffy and Angel, with their children, knowing why Fray sees the world as she does, why Harth is so attached and yet so heartless, (vampire) and why the magic of "daring to fight" is indeed Buffy and Angel's own fear and (near helpless) pain for them, but the wonder of them, also is the deepening path of joy and how to really "save the world."

From that I wouldn't mind the comics showing how these adults "visit" the land of childhood and confront the old monsters, that still "would own you" because those old pains often need re working, especially in different masks and "the big one" that death is a lover, for s/he is "process" and is always at one's shoulder.

Then, you don't have to have the magical three deaths, but have the tools to deal with all of them. That is the value of knowing myths, and recognizing, not only the patterns, but the patterns under the myriad of details. It's not "good enough" to just tell another story. That is what TV series do to "fill the time" until they are cancelled, when they should have "just told the story" even if "the story" is to show "the never ending story."

thanks for sharing your thoughts, COMIC, I am interested in why season 10 should "wrap it up" for you and "how" you would get a movie and spinoffs.

You may note, I kinda used your ideas to frame "my wants" and it doesn't mean "totally killing off certain characters, because everyone organizes their own archetypes, and they aren't liars, just "artistic; " and some masks may need to be removed to recognize "good ole' shadows" e.g. Spike, or crazy "visionary" Dru, or even Faith and "why" 'shifting' is the (destroying) path out of naivite, but innocence stands on the bones of wisdom, and the journey to self includes Death, to gain the authentic self, in the beauty of it, as well as the humility of “non existence” shown as the world, and still find old Glory of discovery, great helpers, and “the “key” to a new day in deeper joy and compassion, while living in the world.

HUGS!
sybil
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You must have some end in mind that also allows for spin off *and * still provide for a movie. Are you thinking with the original actors or a "new cast" by mojo explanations used in how something demonic moves from slayer to slayer, or how something "spiritual" "infects" something mortal e.g. the vampire, which is canon, but isn't quite like reincarnation or in the use of a flashback story that takes us to the originals talking now?

Nothing specific.Just an end to Buffy's story(and I do think Angel needs to be a part of that.Shipper factors aside,Angel is the other lead).As for spin-offs.Could be with some of the already esptablished supporting characters,other slayers,new characters and Fray.

Quote:
thanks for sharing your thoughts, COMIC, I am interested in why season 10 should "wrap it up" for you and "how" you would get a movie and spinoffs.

I'm a comic reader and most comics(Superman,Spider-Man) never end.There may be a occasional reboot like 1985's Crisis O Infinte Earths in the New 52 reboot from two years ago but comics are ongoing.

I feel Buffy's story shouldn't.Season 10 to me is a good place to end things.Seven seasons on T.V.,three seasons in comics.Comics that have gone 6+ years so far.Season 8 began in 2007.Season 9 concludes this fall in 2013.Season 10 will probably launch in 2014 and run altleast another two years.

As for how to do a movie.Set it at some point after the comics to factor in the casts age.
RomancexGirl
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, I'm surprised SMG would be willing to do a Buffy movie. I thought for sure she had left all Buffy-related things at "I ship B/A" and "I'm proud of all the I did on that show" sentiments. Wow is this a shocker.

As for a Buffy movie, I have mixed feelings over it. The super fan in me would love to see the original cast together again like I'm guessing all of us would (The comics are okay, but it's not the same as the flesh and blood actors), but part of me isn't agreeing. So much time has passed since the S7 finale, it'd be kinda weird to see all of them again with those roles. SMG, Eliza Dushku, Amy Acker could easily reprise their roles (Charisma Carpentar too, though I doubt there would be a Cordy appearance), but I'm not so sure about the others. 10 years is a long, long time.

If they go through with it, I'd like it to take place after the comics. Nothing too dragged out or complicated, just Buffy's final shiny moment in action and getting closure for whatever she still needs closure for. Though I gotta agree with SMG, the story has to be good and real. We don't want another crappy Buffy movie ruining the brilliance of the TV show in the process.

Most of me's for it I guess, as long as it's good and closure-y as well as post-comics.
janas
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

comic fan wrote:
I feel Buffy's story shouldn't. Season 10 to me is a good place to end things. Seven seasons on T.V. three seasons in comics. Comics that have gone 6+ years so far. Season 8 began in 2007.Season 9 concludes this fall in 2013.Season 10 will probably launch in 2014 and run altleast another two years.

I totally agree. Season ten should be the last.

"I just know that when you're around, whether I see you or not, I feel you. Inside."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: