Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

READ!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> The Library
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: READ! Reply with quote

I think it is a small disgrace that a "rec" thread hasn't been updated in so long.

The board's latest postings seem interested in alternative romance, shall I say. May I rec this one: ELEGANTLY NAKED IN MY SEXY MENTAL ILLNESS. 17 short stories.
Heather Fowler (NOT DUCKS or ANTI JOSS--wrong coast)
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20876890-elegantly-naked-in-my-sexy-mental-illness#other_reviews
While I am in old B/A fic and BFN's.
I have never watched a soap or read Robb tales. I read “pure erotica” soapy "Kresley Cole" world of supernatural lore, basically two impossible enemies and "making it work" in a context of surviving a race, racial enemies that expunges immortals. IMMORTALS AFTER DARK series

Reading fanfic, I was rec'd Diane Gabaldon's OUTLANDER by anti-joss. (ducks) Historical Romance.
I categorically must warn you that some "cliff notes" version of the series of "Outlander" sucks so hard the fabric of space/time itself--part of the reason for "historical" in the actual narrative-- implodes into awfulness chasing even "huger" awfullerness in sheer inexplicableness why there is a romance at all other than physical proximityand is really showing some interest in fabrics. READ. THE. BOOKs. Vioence/violation don’t escape history nor fiction.
I seem to be on a jag of not only typical “journey tales,” but "alternative societies"--which sounds very science fiction. So, I am reading Storm Constantine. (sci fi and fantasy). There seems to be no way to escape violence/violation even in creating a system meant to get rid of it. THIS writer knows how to develop a magical system. In Wraethu, it is sexual. Also, the notion of “soul mate” is of great focus, especially when each, so needed by the other, is never there.
I think B/aers know about this and we most certainly have a right to have an honest and satisfying ending/promise, which this story gives.

“Gay sexuality” may seem to be the “hook” to follow for everyone is “he”; but IS NOT—physicality is hermaphroditic; think of the “making” of “fallen angels” and those building a new order out of the ruins of man; and thus uses sex as “the means” to select and also * force * change, (see what I mean about violence/violation?) and then sex is used in health/cultural/spiritual technique which (eventually) can create/call gods (and in the later Histories advance other dimensional powers/power struggles. But you need the basics in first trilogy).

You may note that Storm writes/uses pagan lore/angel lore. including an other entire series, the Grigori series (fallen “watcher” angels/nephilim) The Grigori series is the horror genre).

Questing and tropes (make identifiable “anchors” to “character/world building”) but don’t let them “get in the way”—they kinda help understand intended layers in surprising ones. She has a poetic characteristic to her writing. She is work, yet I see tropish-hack in the "special" are the point. Well, Buffy was, too. ha!

Storm is descriptive, sensual, erotic, but the violence/violation are (too) brutal (for me). Capital BRUTAL, underline, bold, exclamation marks in some books of all these series. I think we all wonder why horrific lasts and exhausted sadness is all there is left to deal with. She doesn’t cheat. She does that, too.

Wraeththu Chronicles
· The Enchantments of Flesh and Spirit (1987)
· The Bewitchments of Love and Hate (1988)
· The Fulfillments of Fate and Desire (1989)
GRIGORI Chronicles for those who want fallen angels
· Stalking Tender Prey (1995)
· Scenting Hallowed Blood (1996)
· Stealing Sacred Fire (1997)

Magravandias
· Sea Dragon Heir (1998)
· The Crown of Silence (2000)
· The Way of Light (2001)
And yes, thar be dragons. Also mythic tropes of brother/sister incest, (fire and water oppositions).nature of warriors in destiny/fate.

There are "updates" still going on but I chose these in light of interest in Angelus and the nature of sexuality, other worlds, the psyche.
Hugs!
sybil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> The Library All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: