Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buffy S9 # 15 Issue Discussion Thread + Greenberg Interview

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Comics Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Buffy S9 # 15 Issue Discussion Thread + Greenberg Interview Reply with quote

Preview pages for Buffy S9 #15.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=14085

EXCL PREVIEW: Billy's Origin Concludes in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer S9" #19

The origin of Billy the vampire slayer concludes on November 14, and CBR has an exclusive preview of the final chapter by Drew Z. Greenberg, Jane Espenson and Karl Moline!

Training has begun, bringing the newest Slayer and Watcher closer together. Will they be ready when they're needed most? The rapidly growing zompire population has overcome a local institution, and our heroes in training must take on the fight of their lives!

Buffy show writers Jane Espenson (Once Upon a Time) and Drew Z. Greenberg (Warehouse 13) reunite in this special two-part story about a young duo coming together to fight the forces of evil and discover their role in this strange, new ’verse.

Last edited by comic fan on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:09 pm; edited 5 times in total
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell me the rest of this issue is for something to actually happen.
dorotea
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, their hands might burst into flames ? But I guessed Devon cannot be vampire this late in daytime. (Will hopefully be more verbal tomorrow if/when we get home)
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First advanced review for Buffy # 15.

http://comicsgrinder.com/2012/11/09/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-season-9-15-review/

November 9, 2012

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER SEASON 9 #15 Review

The second and final chapter to “Billy The Vampire Slayer” rounds out for us a portrait of a new slayer. Drew Z. Greenberg’s script picks up where Jane Espenson left off last month. Both are seasoned Buffy television writers so they can be counted upon to know when a character is ready to cry, or laugh, or go into mortal combat. These are all things our hero, Billy, is called upon to do in this issue so he’s in good hands.

With great experience also comes greater ease in storytelling. Greenberg gives herself the time to allow Billy to express his doubts, his impatience and his euphoria when the time comes. One thing readers are always looking for are the quiet moments that tell us about the characters and their motivations. In the case of Billy, he seeks justice and he seeks intimacy. What if he could have both?

Well, it’s no secret that this intro to Billy is as much a love story as a coming-of-age story. That said, it’s hard not to have a coming-of-age story also be a love story. Billy’s love is Devon, a fellow classmate who is the coolest kid in high school. He’s also Billy’s watcher in charge of training him. That leads to a question. If Billy is the first male slayer, then what does that make Devon? I guess it’s a matter of protocol, right? Billy is the first to fall within the ranks of actual slayers, who are traditionally female, I guess. Anyhow, Devon and Billy get to spend a lot of time together and they like each other but Billy doesn’t know if it’s just “like” or if it’s “like like,” that sort of thing. It doesn’t matter that Devon, at every turn, helps him out and is loyal to him. Billy just doesn’t quite get it.

And then the zompires come through and, if they get anything right, it will be to finally get Billy and Devon together! Sometimes you need a zompie apocalypse meltdown to stoke the fires of love. And then, and this should not be spolier, amid the mayhem and destruction, Devon and Billy kiss. They are together and they can get their zompire fight on!

How compelling Billy will be as an ongoing character is still unclear but this was a good story and a good start. I sense we’d need some conflict to give Billy a bigger role to play. For now, welcome Billy, we’re happy to have you around.

“Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 9 #15″ is out November 14. Be sure to visit our friends at Dark Horse Comics.
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more advanced Buffy # 15 reviews.The second one is spoilerish.

http://www.threeifbyspace.net/2012/11/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-season-nine-15-sneak-review/

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Nine #15 – Sneak Review

Posted on 13 November 2012 by Nicci

** The following review while careful not to reveal any actual spoilers from this issue, it does tease the reader with hints as well as spoilers from issues past. Please feel free to purchase this issue on Wednesday. **

The Zompire menace is growing and one big question tops all others, is Billy ready? This issue reminds us of all the best the parts of being a young Slayer as Billy and Devon face the struggles and rewards in situations reminiscent of Buffy’s own young Sunnydale adventures with a perfect conclusion that all Buffy fans young and old should really appreciate.

I was very impressed on the color work this issue, particularly in regards to the flashing lights. Excellent attention to shadows and flares. Also those last few pages were boldly and brilliantly done arted by the whole team. Excellent job all around.

Devon and Billy were excellent together this issue, delivering the right dialogue for each occasion be it lighthearted or deep. If these are planned out to be long running characters, I could definitely get used to them being around. -N

http://fandomania.com/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-season-nine-15-comic-review/

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Nine #15 Comic Review

Posted by Kimberly Lynn Workman

Issue: Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Nine #15
Release Date: November 2012
Writer: Drew Z. Greenberg
Pencils: Karl Moline and Ben Dewey
Inks: Andy Owens
Colors: Michelle Madsen
Letters: Richard Starkings and COMICRAFT’S Jimmy Betancourt
Cover A: Phil Noto
Cover B: Georges Jeanty with Dexter Vines and Michelle Madsen
Publisher: Dark Horse Comics

Billy the Vampire Slayer’s story continues this month and he endears himself to readers even more. It’s often the non-lead characters that I find myself drawn to in the Jossverse comic series and that’s proven true once again with the emerging storyline between Billy and his Watcher, Devon. Forget Buffy, I could just read about these two every month and I’d be satisfied.

One of the reasons I’m particularly drawn to Billy is because of his sense of humor. He’s trying so hard to be a hero, to make Devon and the rest of the world proud of him, but it’s going to take some time and some mishaps along the way. That’s okay! The boxing training scene was hilarious and heartfelt because you’ve got Billy almost getting knocked out by the punching bag in the background while Devon is so clearly gushing over him in the foreground. Their building relationship is so delicate, yet so right, that I found myself mentally urging them to get together. Aside from the Watcher/Slayer dynamic, you’ve got two young men who are trying to build a life together and find purpose in the middle of the chaos around them. Of course you’re rooting for them!

Devon is a good Watcher and he’s trying to train Billy as best as possible before throwing him into the middle of a dangerous situation. He’s also trying to look out for him because of the building love he has for Billy. He doesn’t want his friend to be hurt, much less his maybe-boyfriend, so he’s got to balance the commitment to the greater good with the commitment to the one person he cares for the most. It rings very true for both of them. And their flirting back and forth just edges them closer to possibly getting together. When they are gathering intel at the strip mall, where the zompires are hiding out, the Hardy Boys joke made me smile so much. Billy obviously thinks Devon is Frank because he was the hot one, while Devon always had a thing for Joe, and by default he’s got a thing for Billy. They’re dancing around each other and you just know they’re going to finally make that deeper connection if you wait long enough.

Despite Devon’s attempts to keep Billy safe and out of the fight for now, that choice is taken away from them when the library is taken over by zompires and Billy’s grandmother Sky is caught right in the middle of it. This is what Billy’s been training for, but Devon’s not ready to let him put himself in danger yet. Is it Watcher common sense, knowing Billy’s not yet trained enough? Or is it love for a guy who Devon has obvious feelings for? It’s a little of both, but Devon’s protective streak isn’t going to help Billy. If Devon will not stand beside him for the fight, Billy will do it on his own. Thankfully, he doesn’t have to, since Devon shows up at the library not long after Billy does and assures him that they’re in this together.

The whole matter of their relationship gets put out in the open before they race head-long into danger. Billy likes Devon, Devon likes Billy, and even if it takes Billy a bit to realize that the coolest guy in school could be interested in him, they’re finally on the same page. They are just so cute together and I want them around, fighting the good fight and going on off-duty dates, for as long as possible. I always fear that might mean death for one or the other, considering how quickly I’ve fallen for them, but for now I’ll hold onto the fact that they went in, kicked zompire butt, and made it out alive and together. There’s a new Slayer and Watcher combo in town. Forget destiny, they’re making their own future… together.

Rating: 5 / 5 Stars

dorotea
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree that a pretty panel of Buffy and the 'hate mail' collection with exasperated replies from SA at the end are about the most interesting features of this particular issue.

The little scary and yet funny part for me - there was also a letter of encouragement from yet another Spuffy ('I know you work hard' , 'I am enjoying the slow burn' , 'I like that Spike is strong enough to give her that space') who is agreeing to wait till the end of S11 if needed for a 'compelling romance' story - 'if that what it takes'. LOL I am afraid it is letters like that that are keeping the writers from giving 'romance seekers' any kind of resolution indefinitely. After all - what the point of making the character say anything definite (or at all) if there are always 'enjoy-ers of the slow burn' out there willing to read fanfics (same author : ''If you want an easy resolution read fanfiction there's some good stuff out there really' ) in between seasons that are recycling the old dynamics of will-they-won't they go into 'the dark place' again ?

On the other side - there were a couple of more angry letters - mostly complainy about 'Buffy never openly tackling "Angel" question'. Gee, I guess Scott can never get enough of these. 'If Angel killing Giles cannot change her, and Spike-Buffy take two does not move her to admit something... anything about her feelings ?'

Dear letter writer #1 - see me quoting the letter writer #2 to get an answer to your question. Some enjoy the 'slow burn', so why should the editorial team give any answers where none are in order ?

In the mean time Buffy (the character) can go on endorsing various political issues of importance for 5 more years - while you guys enjoy your 'slow burn'. Sorry, I am getting an unholy glow type of emotion from that catch phrase. The writer #2 coined a phrase that goes to a new level of hilarity for me that even Frisky the bug cannot match.
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think i'll be able to get my copy until tomorrow but a lot of people are really panning this issue and arc as a whole.I still think this shoukld of been done a a seperate one-shot and than bring the new characters in to the main book after that.

Buffyfest is hosting a twitter chat with Jane Espenson.

http://buffyfest.blogspot.com/2012/11/wednesday-live-twitter-chat-with-jane.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Buffyfest+%28Buffyfest%29

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Wednesday: Live Twitter Chat with Jane Espenson! #JaneChat

Got questions for Jane Espenson? Well you're in luck! We're happy to annouce that tomorrow night, Wed, Nov. 14th at 6:30 PDT/9:30 PM EST, Buffyfest will be hosting a live Twitter Chat with Jane courtesy of Dark Horse Comics! Whether you're wondering about her hit web-sitcom Husbands, the Billy the Vampire Slayer arc currently taking place in the Buffy Season 9 comics or something from deep in her past.

Jane has been writing for the Whedonverse stories since 1998 with some of the best episodes of the show under her belt ("Pangs", "Superstar", and "A New Man"...just to name a fabulous few) and has written a slew of comics for Dark Horse. She has also written and produced for over a dozen hit TV shows including Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, Tru Calling, Battlestar Galactica, Caprica, Torchwood, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Game of Thrones, Once Upon a Time and many more. But you knew that!

So gather your questions and join us tomorrow at 9:30! Make sure to use the hashtag #JaneChat to join the fun.

ETA

Drew Greenberg talks Buffy # 15 and the billy arc with CBR.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=42182

Greenberg on "Buffy: Season 9" #15 & Billy's Inner Strength

Writer Drew Z. Greenberg tells CBR News about what keeps him returning to "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," gay vampire slayer Billy's hidden super-power, and compares and contrasts Buffy and Billy.

Jason Tabrys, Guest Contributer

In the conclusion to the Jane Espenson and Drew Z. Greenberg penned Billy the Vampire Slayer micro-arc in Dark Horse Comics' "Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 9," readers learn that Billy takes on "so much" because "he's... good." In reality, there is much more that guides this young man.

A normal teenager that has been marginalized by bullies due to his sexuality, Billy joins the fight against the zompires plaguing his town thanks to Devon, a classmate and the object of Billy's affections.

What is it that Devon sees in Billy that makes him think he is capable of taking on the blood thirsty undead and why is Billy drawn to the fight even when Devon tells him no? Comic Book Resources spoke with writer Drew Z. Greenberg about what makes Billy tick beyond that goodness, the consequences of being an amateur slayer and how growing up gay primed Billy for his new calling.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/thumbnail.php?file=/assets/images/preview/7281e2ei14085/prv14085_cov.jpg
Writer Drew Z. Greenberg talks about Billy the Vampire Slayer rising to the occasion in "Buffy the Vampire: Season 9" #15.Cover by Georges Jeanty

CBR News: Drew, what keeps you coming back to "Buffy?"

Drew Z. Greenberg: Oh, wow. Primarily, the characters, because I love them like old, dear friends I can't wait to see again. But it's more than that: it's a certain sensibility, a set of ideals that says anyone can be a hero, even the bubbly blonde cheerleader who you think will be killed by the monster in the dark alley, or even the sweet, sensitive gay kid who's learning to fight back. I like that the world of BUFFY is one in which inclusiveness is more than just theory, it's actually made real and that we don't just end up admiring these characters who rise to the challenge; we end up liking them. (Or, in my case, loving them.)

And then there's also getting to play in Joss's imagination, which is, frankly, one of the most fun, adventurous, scary, intimidating, satisfying places I've ever been. I'll go back any time he'll let me.

How active was "Buffy" creator Joss Whedon in the plotting process for these two issues?

Joss is overseeing the entirety of Season 9 -- he hosted this star-studded writers' summit well before Season 9 started (the kind of assemblage that makes fanboys' and fangirls' heads go boom). During that summit, Joss articulated his goals for the season and the story points he knew he wanted to hit. (It was also when he invited the writers there to brainstorm ideas for specific stories, and that was where the Billy arc was born.) In addition, Joss also installed the freakishly-talented (and, by the way, all-around nice guy) Andrew Chambliss as the one to handle the day-to-day storytelling on Season 9, and, of course, Joss always relies on [Editor-in-Chief] Scott Allie and his team for editor responsibilities at Dark Horse, and they provide invaluable feedback. So Joss' presence was large and comforting. Like a body pillow.

Any plans to re-team with Jane Espenson for another batch of "Buffy" books or perhaps something else from the Whedonverse?

I would partner on anything with Jane. "Buffy" stories, other Whedonverse projects, being a team on The Amazing Race. Whatever, whenever.

The other slayers are called and chosen. Billy obviously doesn't have those kinds of mystical shackles. He took is upon himself to be a slayer. Do you worry that people might cynically dismiss the possibility that Billy would rise up because of goodness and little else? Is it more than goodness? Jane said he was special because of a "fire in his belly," but what else is there that drives this boy to be so brave?

True story: when certain people in the world suggest that being gay is a choice, the standard response, naturally, is to ask them, "How could it be a choice? With all the risk of bullying and prejudice and misunderstanding out there, with the risk of being alienated and isolated, who would choose to be gay?" And that's the right question to ask, because, seriously, straight people, when did you choose to be straight? You know you didn't, and it's exactly the same with gay people. We don't choose this, either. But you know what? I have to admit something: I would. I would choose to be gay. And here's why: even with all the unpleasant crap that goes with being gay, my experience as a gay man has also given me a sense of empathy, an understanding of justice, an awareness of what it means to be ostracized, no matter why. It's given me insight into why we must fight for the rights of the oppressed, why compassion and love actually matter as more than just intangible concepts and why it's important to embrace and celebrate the qualities that make each of us -- gay or straight -- unique. In other words, being gay has made me the human being that I am, and I like the human being I am.

With that in mind, I think the story of Billy, ultimately, is the story of a young man who spent his whole life feeling like an outsider, but who gains from that experience a determination, a certain resolve to make the world a better place than the one into which he was born. Put in simple mathematical terms, being gay plus growing up in his particular circumstance helped make Billy into a hero. Billy's experience opens his eyes to what must be done in ways maybe others would never see. So yes, I think it's more than goodness, though the goodness helps. And the best part is, if Billy can come out the other side determined to make the world better, maybe so can any young person who sees injustice and prejudice in their life, too.

Are we bound to see other slayers like Billy? Other slayers that aren't equipped with slayer strength?

Well, that's an interesting idea. I don't know of any plans for more amateur slayers, but I suppose anything is possible.

This is obviously a story about Billy finding his place in this world. He's finding acceptance, and not just as a slayer. Was there ever a thought to deal with the other side of Billy's embrace of slayerdom? The possible consequences, or the lost youth and normalcy that Buffy dealt with when she was his age? If there was, were you concerned about scraping away the overall positive message or bungling the analogy?

You know, every character is unique. I don't think Billy had the childhood that Buffy had: I think Billy's living situation is an indication that Billy had to grow up pretty quick long before the zompires showed up in his town. So embracing slayerdom means something different to Billy, because Billy's in a different place when it happens. Specifically, in Billy's case, his embrace of slayerdom is almost a mirror image of Buffy's process -- it allows him, like Buffy, to find his real purpose, but unlike Buffy who came to realize her skill set had a price, Billy gets something of a payoff for his years of already feeling isolated (a scenario much more well-suited, I think, for the short-story format of Billy's two-issue introduction).
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summary and review. Well, at least I could do this one fairly quickly, which is a nice change:

Going to keep it brief this time. Billy and Cute Devon train and flirt for a few pages, but as they're about to have that all-important conversation about their feelings for each other, there's a news broadcast and Billy finds out his grandmother is in a zompire hostage situation at the library. The boys have the inevitable argument about whether to go save her, which comes to its inevitable resolution when Billy storms off to do it himself and Cute Devon follows and meets him at the war zone. They have their feelings conversation (and first kiss) in between the whole duck-and-run, dust-the-zomps action. They rescue Sky.

The line that Billy has been pondering about "the right way to fight back" is finished at the end of the issue by Buffy, who says, "...is to remember you are not fighting alone. Even when it seems you are." She and Dowling (that's Dowling, right?) are standing on a rooftop in San Francisco with Billy and Cute Devon. She welcomes him to his new team and gets ready to take him patrolling, and he muses about finally finding a place to belong.

This is actually the first time in my memory that New Comic Day has meant two purchases for me: the other one is Saga, and I knew well in advance that it was going to be much better than this issue of Season 9. I tried to offset the inevitable disappointment by reading this one first, but the Dark Horse app failed me and I was stuck with a fresh reminder of how good comics can actually be.

That little summary I just wrote really isn't missing anything. There are a few witty lines and inoffensively sweet moments, and I can't say the action is sub-par except inasmuch as how many times have we seen a character stake a vampire in this series or defeat a zombie in another series, a lot, that's how many. Billy and Cute Devon are like a pair of Care Bears; they're cute, pure-hearted, and laden with important messages of love and tolerance, but you don't read comics about them, because you're an adult and they're freaking Care Bears.

If I had any doubts about whether Jane Espenson was adding to the Buffyverse or just using it to place a public service announcement where it would reach a lot of eyes, this issue erased them. The plot was nothing - nothing - just an entry-level set-up for action and drama, way below Espenson's proven writing capabilities. The only thing that made it new was the sexual orientation of the characters, and the only thing that tied it into the rest of the series was Buffy's appearance at the end.

And speaking of which, that hit a nerve too. I admit I was glad to see her, just because it was getting near the end of the book and I thought they weren't even going to bother. ("Coming next: another issue in which Billy does some traveling and fights more zompires and learns more about himself and his true destiny and oh yeah then he meets Buffy!" I'd tear up my copy. And it's a digital one.) But in a way, the Buffy we know still wasn't there. Aside from one line about how she's needed to remember lately that she's not alone, everything she said was in service to Billy's story - and it wasn't even the kind of service that moves the story along.

I know it was too much to hope for Buffy to have an objection to Billy calling himself a Slayer, even a knee-jerk, quickly discarded objection, but it would have been nice to see a little discussion about the novelty of the situation. Or maybe a warning that he was taking on a huge responsibility and she wasn't going to be able to watch his back all the time. Anything but this cardboard affirmation schtick. I don't mind seeing Buffy from a newcomer's perspective once in a while; Season 8 #5 is still probably the only universally loved issue of the comics and that's in part due to the new way it made us see the main character. But Buffy as a hardened general isn't new, and neither is Buffy as a compassionate leader. There's no glaze over the last few pages - she's pretty much directly speaking to gay teens and other readers who feel like misfits, telling them they're not alone and they belong. Forget the fourth wall, there's not even a third, and the second one's looking a little shaky too.

If the reasoning here is that Buffy has become enough of a mythical hero to give this message the power it needs, that's great, and in spite of everything that's happened in the comics I think she just might be at that point. Go ahead and let her speak. Just learn from the classics - when Spider-Man talked to his young readers about the dangers of molestation, he did it in ads between the pages, not within his own adventures. The Buffy of the past two arcs feels phony, as if I could snap her apart with my hands. Until she's real again, I can't learn from her.
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dorotea wrote:

The little scary and yet funny part for me - there was also a letter of encouragement from yet another Spuffy ('I know you work hard' , 'I am enjoying the slow burn' , 'I like that Spike is strong enough to give her that space') who is agreeing to wait till the end of S11 if needed for a 'compelling romance' story - 'if that what it takes'. LOL I am afraid it is letters like that that are keeping the writers from giving 'romance seekers' any kind of resolution indefinitely. After all - what the point of making the character say anything definite (or at all) if there are always 'enjoy-ers of the slow burn' out there willing to read fanfics (same author : ''If you want an easy resolution read fanfiction there's some good stuff out there really' ) in between seasons that are recycling the old dynamics of will-they-won't they go into 'the dark place' again ?

Given the steadfast determination of some readers to see the potential for Spuffy in anything, I'm not sure the writers are entirely to blame for exploiting it. If Buffy tells Spike that she can't be with him because she's washing her hair, the forums will soon be full of fans talking about how sad it is that Buffy's dirty hair has to get in the way of her relationship with Spike, and how good Spike is to understand and give her space during her critical hair-washing time.

Personally I'm kind of enjoying the slow burn of the rising apathy on both sides - if this series is doing anything right (which is admittedly in doubt), it's the way Spuffy is being gradually deconstructed and examined, allowing the characters to come out on the other side of it at the end of the season. In the meantime, the writers might enjoy the varied reactions from the various factions, but the secret is that they've already given us a good chunk of resolution. They're just holding off on pointing it out.
dorotea
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kairos wrote:

If the reasoning here is that Buffy has become enough of a mythical hero to give this message the power it needs, that's great, and in spite of everything that's happened in the comics I think she just might be at that point. Go ahead and let her speak. Just learn from the classics - when Spider-Man talked to his young readers about the dangers of molestation, he did it in ads between the pages, not within his own adventures. The Buffy of the past two arcs feels phony, as if I could snap her apart with my hands. Until she's real again, I can't learn from her.

Yup, I got the Care Bears vibe as well. As well as pulled out of specific places references to Buffy's great love and 'that' first kiss - cute stuffed animal in the Slayer's bedroom anybody? Devon wearing fancy black leather coat and disheveled hair ? I am all for homages and sly nods - but not at the story's origin and not in an arc that is supposed to be part of main title. I am agreeing wholeheartedly with comic_fan that this belongs in the Tales of the Slayers book and should be treated as such. For myself , I will fanwank it as 'a story re-told by Andrew Wells from Billy's much less heroic and shiny original, in one of his wild fantasy head-games with camera phone'. LOL This will work for me whenever I look at Billy.

I am also wondering if turning Buffy into a symbol in her own book is intentional - it almost feels like she is being gradually phased out into the background. Her life is still central to the story - but it is much less important to the overall theme of the season - if there is such an animal. She is supposedly 'picking up pieces' but also becoming less of a 'center of her own universe', almost if Joss is prepping her to stepping out of the story into her own private life without anybody noticing ? Or maybe I am just getting this vibe out of this arc. There is definitely something major planned for the ending - but I wonder how much Buffy herself is going to matter for the end of season game changer ? So far Buffy's misfortunes had had zero importance for the Big Picture - the role of game changer have been relegated first to Faith , then to Willow. Any thoughts ?

I will add to this later on the Spuffy front.
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my copy now of Buffy # 15,"Billy The vampire Slayer part II of II."

I thought it was decent,not great but not terrible.About the same as last issue.Like I said last issue.I think Billy and Devon have potential but i feel this story took place in the wrong place.The arc IMO should of been a One-Shot titled Season 9 Tales of the Slayers:Billy.After that,than bring them into the next arc of Buffy as part of her team with Dowling which seems to be the plan.The last page with Buffy would of been a perfect capper to a One-Shot lead in.

I liked the art especially the Buffy appearance at the end although I tend to like Karle Moline's work usually anyway.

I thought this arc was better than "Guarded" but misplaced although both arcs were still sort of eh for me overall.
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad that these threads still exist so I can feel like I'm reading the comics with you all even five years later. Your reactions are much better than the issues themselves in Buffy S9.

This line here, for example, just made my day.

Kairos wrote:
Billy and Cute Devon are like a pair of Care Bears; they're cute, pure-hearted, and laden with important messages of love and tolerance, but you don't read comics about them, because you're an adult and they're freaking Care Bears.

Heart Heart Heart
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahahahahahaha! Laughing

Oh man, I better watch out or I'll find myself rereading all these old threads too. I'd forgotten about this one for sure.

(I wonder if I was already a My Little Pony fan when I said that? Makes me seem a bit of a hypocrite now!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Comics Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: