Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buffy Season 3: 20th Anniversary Rewatch Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Buffy Season 3: 20th Anniversary Rewatch Thread Reply with quote

Season 3 Rewatch Time!

CALENDAR
September 5: 3x01 Anne
September 12: 3x02 Dead Man's Party
September 19: 3x03 Faith, Hope & Trick
September 26: 3x04 Beauty and the Beasts
October 3: 3x05 Homecoming
October 10: 3x06 Band Candy
October 17: 3x07 Revelations
October 24: 3x08 Lovers Walk
October 31: 3x09 The Wish
November 7: 3x10 Amends
November 14: 3x11 Gingerbread
November 21: 3x12 Helpless
November 28 3x13 The Zeppo
December 5: 3x14 Bad Girls
December 12: 3x15 Consequences
December 19: 3x16 Doppelgangland
December 26: 3x17 Enemies
January 2: 3x18 Earshot
January 9: 3x19 Choices
January 16: 3x20 The Prom
January 23: 3x21/3x22 Graduation Day (Parts 1 & 2)

I made the calendar without skipping any weeks, but since this takes us through the holiday season, we can *totally* adjust as we go. And no pressure to post on Tuesdays! Any time in a given week is fine. (Well, there's no pressure to post at all, of course! But you know what I mean!)

Feel free to jump in for just an episode or a few at any time. We encourage any amount of participation!

PROMO VIDEOS
Season 3 Fan-Made Trailer
The WB Promos for Season 3
Extended WB promo for Season 3 premiere

TRANSCRIPTS AND SCRIPTS
BuffyWorld

REVIEWS AND ANALYSIS
The Watcher's Diary (taaroko's reviews)
Noel Murray at the AV Club
Passion of the Nerd video guide
Mark Field at Fragments of My Imagination
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3x01 Anne
Written and directed by Joss Whedon
Original air date: Sept. 29, 1998

Summary from BuffyGuide.com: "Buffy's in LA, hiding from her friends, family and destiny, but she has to face who she is when something demonic is threatening kids living on the streets."

1. Overall thoughts on this episode? How do you think it compares to other season openers?
2. What did you think of the Scoobies' attempts to deal with Buffy's absence?
3. Thoughts about the dream sequence on the beach?
4. How did you react to Buffy's life in the city and her job? Were you surprised she stayed away from Sunnydale all summer?
5. What did you think of Chanterelle/Lily's return? What about her relationship with Rickie, and him repeating the words Angel said on the dream beach?
6. Thoughts on Willow/Oz and Xander/Cordelia?
7. What did you think about the scene with Joyce and Giles?
8. Thoughts on Buffy and Lily's trip to Ken's dimension?
9. How did you feel about Buffy handing over her life as "Anne" to Lily? And her reunion with Joyce?
10. Favorite lines/scenes? Anything stand out on rewatch?

As always, feel free to answer as many or as few of the questions as you like!
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall thoughts on this episode? How do you think it compares to other season openers? I like Anne. It tackles a lot of great thematic stuff. But, for me, it's never the same magic when the Scoobies are separated, so I don't like it as much as Welcome to the Hellmouth or When She Was Bad. I like the Sunnydale parts of Anne better than the LA parts.

What did you think of the Scoobies' attempts to deal with Buffy's absence? I loved how the opening scene conveyed the intensity of the Scoobies' Buffy missage but also showed that they found a way to keep going without her. I thought Oz's misfire with his stake was hilarious.

It had to be especially hard on Giles. Buffy is the person he's closest to, and after losing Jenny, it would have been just devastating to be desperately worried about losing Buffy, too. I felt bad for him, and all of them.

Thoughts about the dream sequence on the beach? Really lovely, and such a stark contrast with Buffy's real life in this episode. I liked how the dialogue was like a mirror of Amends.

Angel: Forever. That's the whole point. I'll never leave. Not even if you kill me.

Buffy: What about me? I love you so much. And I tried to make you go away... I killed you and it didn't help.

What did you think of Chanterelle/Lily's return? What about her relationship with Rickie, and him repeating the words Angel said on the dream beach? I like Julia Lee a lot, and her character is a great motivator for Buffy. Even at her lowest, Buffy has such a calling to help people who are vulnerable. (And it's incredibly great that she seems to have passed that quality on to Lily, right along with her "Anne" name tag.)

The Lily/Rickie thing is a good contrast to B/A as well. I was watching the AtS S3 opener, Heartthrob, the other day and, as usual, I noticed a lot of similarities. Smile The biggest one was the way that Lily/Rickie and Elisabeth/James are used as contrasts for Buffy and Angel's relationship. I think both episodes show us that B/A is *not* the kind of dependent relationship that the other ones are.

With Rickie gone, Lily needs Buffy to help her (and when she can't handle Buffy's news, she falls victim to the first sympathetic demon who comes her way). But while Buffy may be heartbroken over losing Angel and actively trying to lose her identity the way Lily has, she just cannot manage to *not* be Buffy the Vampire Slayer when it counts.

Thoughts on Willow/Oz and Xander/Cordelia? I did love the Xander/Cordelia vampire sandwich scene. Very cute. But Xander wanting to use Cordelia as bait was not so cute, even if his ultimate goal was to spend more time with her. I don't think Xander has gained a lot of maturity over the summer, and his feelings for Cordy still don't seem very strong.

Willow and Oz are so adorable that I forgive the very silly "Oz repeats his senior year" thing.

What did you think about the scene with Joyce and Giles? While my sympathies are more with Giles than Joyce, I feel like she has a right to be angry. Not with Giles himself necessarily, since he truly cares about Buffy, but with the system he represents and hasn't begun to seriously question yet. Joyce doesn't know it, but she's actually lucky that she didn't have Buffy taken from her a long time ago.

It's also messed up that Joyce's own life has been in danger multiple times but Giles held firm that she couldn't know, for reasons that stopped making sense a long time ago. I don't understand, really, why Giles wouldn't let Buffy tell her mom in Passion. It became a little silly when so many other people did know. It's not like Darla had any trouble figuring out who Joyce was even in Season 1, and Joyce was especially vulnerable since she had no idea the supernatural even existed.

I guess maybe Giles didn't want Joyce to know because he was afraid she would take Buffy away from Sunnydale, or have her committed, or something. But it seems like it would have been easy enough to prove to her that vampires were real.

Thoughts on Buffy and Lily's trip to Ken's dimension? I loved the symbolism. Buffy is so grief-stricken and guilty over sticking that sword through Angel that she's put herself in hell, so she ends up going there literally.

Favorite lines/scenes?

"I'm Buffy. The Vampire Slayer. And you are?" (Of course!)

Giles: For God's sake be careful. I mean, I appreciate your efforts to keep the vampire population down until Buffy returns, but... Well, if anything should happen to you and... you should be killed, I should take it somewhat amiss.
Willow: You'd be cranky?
Giles: Entirely.

Cordelia: He didn't meet anybody over the summer, did he? No, who's he gonna meet in Sunnydale, but monsters and stuff? But then again he's always been attracted to monsters. (worried) How's my hair?

Larry: This is our year, I'm telling you. Best football season ever. I'm so in shape, I'm a rock. It's all about egg whites. If we can focus, keep discipline, and not have quite as many mysterious deaths, Sunnydale is gonna *rule*!

Buffy: This'll probably go faster if we split up.
Lily: Can I come with you?

I also love how the dialogue in the scene where Buffy and Lily argue sounds like Buffy could be arguing with herself about what happened to Angel.

Buffy: Lily, this is something you're just gonna have to deal with.
Lily: But he didn't do anything wrong! Why would this happen to him?
Buffy: That's *not* the point. These things happen all the time. You can't just ... close your eyes and hope that they're gonna go away.

Anything stand out on rewatch? What's up with the nurses on this show?! This is like the second nurse in four episodes to be complicit with evil.

A few things to note from the script.

This exchange is a little smoother with Lily's line:

Quote:
RICKIE
Don't be stupid! We gotta eat healthy. Can't have cake.
(to Buffy)
Can we get pie?

LILY
(good idea)
That's better. That's got fruit.

BUFFY
We got peach pie. I can't guarantee there's a peach in it...

The note about that long shot on the first day of school is amusing:
Quote:
INT. LIBRARY - DAY

(WARNING: if humanly possible, the next five pages -- scenes 5 through 7 -- will be done in ONE SHOT, moving from the library to the cafeteria and capturing the vibrant cacophony of the first day of school. You have been warned.)

This line was cut after Buffy got run over:
Quote:
TRUCK GUY
You sure you don't want to sue?

Hey! A '90s gymnastics reference:
Quote:
WILLOW
Oh! That reminds me.
(pulls out a folded up piece of paper)
I asked around about Andrew Hoeflich, our gymnastic vampire, and apparently,
(looking at her notes) he used to like to hang out in Hammersmith Park and pick up grills! (looks closer) Or, okay, that could be "girls".

XANDER
Let's hope.

OZ
Are we thinking old habits die hard?

XANDER
Worth checking out.

WILLOW
Tomorrow night?

XANDER
Good. And this time we'll be ready for him. Take him out before he does a Kerri Strug on your face.

Buffy re: donating blood.
Quote:
BUFFY
Oh, no. I mean, I can't. Needles. They make me woozy. Which is weird, 'cause I don't have a problem with battle axes, but needles . . .
(recovers herself)
We're looking for a friend.

Some grammar fun in the "going through your private files" clinic scene:
Quote:
BUFFY
(steely eyed)
Give them to who?
(beat)
Or, wait -- give them to whom?
Or maybe it's who . . .

Some fun descriptions. This one references Gareth Davies, the line producer, who takes the script and figures out all the practical stuff, as well as production designer Carey Meyer and set decorator David Koneff.

Quote:
INT. MAIN CHAMBER - CONTINUOUS - NIGHT

It's enormous. And it's Hell. Part factory, part prison camp, with more than a little Spanish Inquisition thrown in. HUMAN PRISONERS work at hauling enormous stones, doing metal work, any and all demeaning and backbreaking labour. Along the tops of the huge concrete pillars, people have been hung up to die for crimes of one kind or another. Molten metal runs along gutters into metal vats. Everything is covered with a layer of grime. Carey and David K blow their entire budgets for the year, and Gareth can be seen in the corner weeping.

The people all wear the same kind of nondescript outfit that Lily has been put into, only dirtier. They are practically zombies, submissive and silent. Guards -- demons all -- patrol around, occasionally stopping to beat a prisoner. Their garb has a flavor of the medieval mixed in with the SS. It's all bad.

Searchlights at either end constantly sweep the place.

I assume this one is a reference to Joss himself, since he's directing, and Seth Green? But not sure.

Quote:
CRANE DOWN ON: BUFFY

Looking sweaty and cool as searchlights sweep across her face. She's waiting for the fun.

"The fun" comes in the form of, say, FOUR DEMON GUARDS rushing her. The first gets a hammer in the face, as Buffy spins and hurls her blade in Braveheartian fashion into the chest of the second. The rest of the fun will depend on the dictates of the location, the time at hand, and a certain amount of input from one of the 100 most creative people in Hollywood. (Not Seth, the other one). Anyway, it's mean, it's violent, it's good family viewing.

Also funny:

Quote:
She knocks out the two guards holding her and heads on up. (This may involve a spectacular stunt where she grabs a chain that's going up and swings and dives and all kinds of excitement. Or it may involve stairs.)

A couple little bits cut from the scene with Lily taking over Buffy's life as Anne:

Quote:
LILY
It's really nice.

BUFFY
The bathroom works a good part of the time. Don't bother to flip the mattress 'cause it doesn't get any better.

LILY
I never had a place, you know, that I wasn't sharing.

Quote:
Buffy smiles at her. Lily looks at the dress.

LILY
I don't think I'll fit in this.

BUFFY
You could wear it as a hat...
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Buffy is being forced to leave hell, she actually turns and looks as if she is get that feeling Angel is near--that conceit that is canon she can feel him inside, even if she can't see him (and also made season eight's "mystery guy" an impossibility), as if one of those passages leads to the hell he is (lost) in, not to mention, that is how it was possible, perhaps, for Angel to find his way out. I would argue her presence was that call: if I were blind I would find you.

WHAT CHA THINK?

I really think that pause is so important, and AGAIN, Buffy choses the other to save the world, and NOT her lover. The selfless act that actually seems to be her doom. No one works harder, either, to preserve "the world of the child." THAT will be her greatest sacrifice and third death, IMO. She can't stop that world burning, or being awash in an ocean of tears (Angel). See After the Fall's conclusion.

Am I just "seeing things" because it really made sense HOW to find someone lost in his own mind, which is what hell Angel usually is in and why he is so tormented and can't escape it. The hellmouth is also one big "vagina" kind of passage, as well, IMO, because "girls aren't supposed to" have or enjoy sex": the big evil, of course, that made everything "complicated." hee.

Do you think the female is 'fierce?' Do you think that is "evil?" Do you think the slayer is an archetype?

Later on, BTW, the ring on the floor actually is symbolic of the "hero's rebirth" (the birth channel) through which "our hero" can make that transition, transformation, even transfiguration. And yes, it is through the female and the lover--heh, Angel is Buffy's child, so what Angelus couldn't do, Buffy DID! (For Angel's path to transfigured humanity is always shown in the rites of love and of death, and that means with Buffy--which is also why he is wet. or getting rained on or drowned. That is female principle; and Angel is always "wet" in times he actually confronts the actual task of regaining his humanity that is his journey. And we usually see "the struggle" Joss is so fond of, in madness, as the Angel we know is dry. Actually TOO dry, as was shown in Fred's dissection.

The ring is not only the "eternal circle" for forever, it also holds the "zen"notion of "infinite emptiness" required of enlightenment and transformation. The union of opposites, yet again, that makes two into one.

That Angel is mad is no surprise, he is confronting the real possibility of "getting normal" and "mortality"--which he can't do, for he can't "integrate" nor accept the actual consequence of 'destroying the world:" he is a good man.

I also think Anne show the importance of the mother and that an unfinished task of parenting has such devastating effects that many can't ever "get over." All these street kids looking for love in all the wrong places and so easy to lure because they need nourishment of both food and love.

Buffy struggles with 'motherhood" a lot. The realm of wishing and a neverland of slaying, a reality she continues to perpetuate that denies her "normal."

Why? Because she is a GOOD GIRL, doing what is "right." That isn't the problem. The problem is what world is she trying to save? And why can't she fail?

Can we be surprised she ends up a vampire in season six? Her mother is gone (and that includes the mothering in Giles offering 'wisdom,' not to mention actual material cash to keep a roof over their heads) her mother figure in Willow is actually manipulating her own "mother figure", while Buffy is supposed to be the mother to them all, and get back to work, so the kids can have play time with new toys. And she sets LIMITS. (See Buffy and Dawn).

Material and spiritual are always part of argument, when I happen to see them both as "material," as we can't have a thought without it "being material"--its how our brains work. You can't perceive without "material." So do notice "how you look" is all that is female, while "smart, fierce, strong, brave" and the spiritual go "to the boys" THAT STUFf IS TAUGHT and WOMEN teach that stuff to their children.

Something else about "mother" and that is sheer endurance. Never give up because so often you have no choice! See "labor." ha!

It is not just "social orientation" to the world that "the father" does in order to make survival possible, it is the inner world or "the mother's job" that * insures* it!

(Yes, both "skills" from parenting, are meant in "male/female principles" of course, having nothing to do with gender or sexuality or different if there is only a single parent, whatever stripe.)

The other factoid about mother is that she is 'material" while the father is given "spiritual" conceits. I think Buffy--who became the mother for thousands of slayers--shows the slayer within that is necessary to keep "body and soul" in the same reality. Buffy was also smart enough to go back to her mother. that is why when she lost her mother, 'the body' and "bills" was all that was talked about, when we see the emotional wreckage is given us some guy to make"a funeral"--that itself requires "the material"--Willow worrying about sweaters aka "jumpers."

Buffy did nourish Angel from hell, but distanced herself eventually from providing his "life blood" and showing the extremes of hot and cold emotionally, in doing what they really should confront: understand why the curse works on BOTH of them and why the cost really is "destroying the world."

Which Angel seems to actually sense (See "Home") because that is what a "mad Angelus" *showed * he would do when confronted with his "total lack" when it comes to all things Buffy. She is mortal; he is not; and she wouldn't be Buffy if she was turned. SHE is his paradox, just as Angel/Angelus is Buffy's. THAT is the neon sign to the "way out" Solve the paradox.

I have a deep affection for Anne, the character, who can't find hers; and YET, I will never forget her "setting priorities" for her children needing things in that "give me the money" way, without a BLINK at Angel, standing there, (by sheer will) and being near destroyed to get it, even warning it is "blood money." She understands "a mother." (I made her Gunn's wife I think so much of her, even though I can't believe how she treated Angel. THAT is what her little trip to hell taught that she will Never GET OVER. WHERE are the "mothers?")

And, Joss made fun of "forever" with the lovers in this episode. The tattoo is actually a "forever mark" of a BROKEN HEART. But I don't believe this is the correct "B/A" story (and we all know it as the only thing we can believe is true.) It is not "childish" when these two prove to each other and to all others they are not merely some metaphor for "the unattainable ideal." They live it.

I guess, I know Joss's knows the third death must come for our couple--IT IS the "end of the story" because he so carefully has avoided it, ALL THESE YEARS!

HUGS!
sybil
bonnaleah
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall thoughts on this episode?

The episode has a darkness about it that always creeps me out. The LA scenes seem so lonely and depressing, not even counting the trip to Hell. I like it though.

How do you think it compares to other season openers?

It's probably my 3rd favorite opener. I think after the S2 ending they about had to show us where Buffy ended her bus ride and how she was coping with all that had happened.

What did you think of the Scoobies' attempts to deal with Buffy's absence?

I got the feeling that Willow and Xander had both kinda resigned themselves to life without Buffy, as neither of them seemed overly worried or upset. But Giles on the other hand seemed kinda consumed by Buffy's absence. His flying all over the country looking for her was sad and sweet at the same time. I'm not sure what I think about the patrolling for vampire thing they were doing. I always had the feeling that they were doing it mostly for themselves...because it made them feel kinda important. But I could be wrong about that.

Thoughts about the dream sequence on the beach?

I loved the dream and I loved the dialogue. FOREVER is the whole point of B/A. Dream Angel was right about never leaving Buffy....I think Buffy will carry her love for Angel until the day she dies.

small rant.....

[And if they didn't want us to believe it, they shouldn't have beat us over the head with it throughout the series]

How did you react to Buffy's life in the city and her job? Were you surprised she stayed away from Sunnydale all summer?

I was just glad that she had a job and place to stay...I thought that part was a little unrealistic but I think mostly they were just showing us how unhappy she was and that she really wasn't living...she was just existing...and dreaming about Angel. Staying all summer, which is 3 months, is a parallel to Angel being gone 3 months after Buffy died...so I love it. Both of them going to hell is of course another parallel that I love.

What did you think of Chanterelle/Lily's return?

Well I appreciate Chanterelle/Lily more after watching both series and getting to know her...but on first watch I didn't really feel for her one way or the other. She seemed weak, flighty, and air headed to me. I did love it when she had the guts to shove Ken off the ledge... that was a turning point for her character.

Quote:
I like Julia Lee a lot, and her character is a great motivator for Buffy. Even at her lowest, Buffy has such a calling to help people who are vulnerable. (And it's incredibly great that she seems to have passed that quality on to Lily, right along with her "Anne" name tag.)

This is so spot on. Lily and Buffy served to motivate each other in this episode.

Thoughts on Willow/Oz and Xander/Cordelia?
Poor Oz had to be made a flunkie to have a reason for him to be in school with the gang every day. Even so, I love Oz and he and Willow are so perfect for each other. I agree with Grace completely about Xander's idea to use Cordelia as bait. So not cool. And so very dangerous for Cordy.

What did you think about the scene with Joyce and Giles?

I thought it was heartbreaking. Joyce was surprised to see Giles and that just makes me think that Giles needed to have some contact with something close to Buffy....being around Buffy's mother might give him some comfort....except it's made him feel worse because she blames him. As a mother I can see where she's coming from.

Joyce: You've been this huge influence on her, guiding her. You had this whole relationship with her behind my back. I feel like you've taken her away from me.

I think Giles saw the truth in what Joyce was saying....because what she said was mostly true. Giles is somewhat guilty of taking Buffy away from Joyce because if she had known all along about Buffy being the slayer she wouldn't have been so freaked about Buffy needing to leave in "Becoming", and she would have reacted differently. Joyce would have had the chance to react differently to a whole lot of things and it could have made both of their lives easier. Joyce wasn't treated fairly at all. At the same time I agree with Grace that Giles was only doing what he thought was the best, but in the long run his choices made life harder for Buffy and for Joyce.

Thoughts on Buffy and Lily's trip to Ken's dimension?
The best part of the entire episode was...

"Who are you?
"I'm Buffy. The Vampire Slayer. And you are?"

I loved all the fight scenes and thought Sarah looked especially beautiful.

How did you feel about Buffy handing over her life as "Anne" to Lily?
It was great cause it meant she was going home.

And her reunion with Joyce?
So happy for both of them.

Favorite lines

"Who are you?
"I'm Buffy. The Vampire Slayer. And you are?"

Favorite scene

Buffy: How did you find me here?

Angel: If I was blind, I would see you.

She lowers her hand to take his again at her waist and closes her eyes.
She embraces his arms tightly to her.

Buffy: Stay with me.

Angel: Forever. That's the whole point. I'll never leave. (whispering
into her ear) Not even if you kill me.

Quote:
When Buffy is being forced to leave hell, she actually turns and looks as if she is get that feeling Angel is near--that conceit that is canon she can feel him inside, even if she can't see him as if one of those passages leads to the hell he is (lost) in, not to mention, that is how it was possible, perhaps, for Angel to find his way out. I would argue her presence was that call: if I were blind I would find you.

WHAT CHA THINK?

AW Sybil, I love it! Heart
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sybil wrote:
When Buffy is being forced to leave hell, she actually turns and looks as if she is get that feeling Angel is near--that conceit that is canon she can feel him inside, even if she can't see him (and also made season eight's "mystery guy" an impossibility), as if one of those passages leads to the hell he is (lost) in, not to mention, that is how it was possible, perhaps, for Angel to find his way out. I would argue her presence was that call: if I were blind I would find you.

WHAT CHA THINK?

I agree with bonnaleah. I love it. I also remembered a comment on the Passion of the Nerd video guide that I wanted to check out. The person said there was a chained angel in the background when Buffy was fighting the demons in hell.

What do you guys think? Does it look like an angel or is it some symbol I just don't recognize? I don't think I ever noticed it before, or if I did I just thought it was a crucifix.

sybil wrote:
And, Joss made fun of "forever" with the lovers in this episode. The tattoo is actually a "forever mark" of a BROKEN HEART. But I don't believe this is the correct "B/A" story (and we all know it as the only thing we can believe is true.) It is not "childish" when these two prove to each other and to all others they are not merely some metaphor for "the unattainable ideal." They live it.

Thank you! Yes!

bonnaleah wrote:
I'm not sure what I think about the patrolling for vampire thing they were doing. I always had the feeling that they were doing it mostly for themselves...because it made them feel kinda important. But I could be wrong about that.

This is such an interesting idea, bonnaleah, especially since things were so quiet for Willow and Xander between Seasons 1 and 2. I'll be thinking about this during the next ep.

bonnaleah wrote:
I think Giles saw the truth in what Joyce was saying....because what she said was mostly true. Giles is somewhat guilty of taking Buffy away from Joyce because if she had known all along about Buffy being the slayer she wouldn't have been so freaked about Buffy needing to leave in "Becoming", and she would have reacted differently. Joyce would have had the chance to react differently to a whole lot of things and it could have made both of their lives easier. Joyce wasn't treated fairly at all.

Such a good point.
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3x02 Dead Man's Party
Written by Marti Noxon
Directed by James Whitmore Jr.
Original air date: October 6, 1998

Summary from BuffyGuide.com: "Buffy finds her homecoming to be awkward and unwelcoming, but the gang must put aside their frustrations to deal with an army of zombies."

1. Overall thoughts on this episode?
2. Thoughts on the various reactions early in the episode to Buffy being home (Joyce, Scoobies, Giles)?
3. Any idea of what the dream sequence with Angel meant?
4. What did you think of Willow and Buffy's interactions and what they said about their friendship?
5. During the big blowup at the dinner-turned-hootenanny, do you tend to side more with Buffy or with Joyce and the Scoobies? Or do you see both sides pretty equally? Does Xander make you very, very angry?
6. How do you feel about how everything wraps up?
7. Favorite lines/scenes?
8. Anything stand out on rewatch?
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall thoughts on this episode? I'm really glad we've made it through this one, since it's my least favorite episode of the season (and the series so far)! It makes me so angry that I should probably just skip it on future rewatches. I tried to go into it with an open mind, since this is the first time I've watched it since seeing BtVS all the way through, but I'm still a big hater. Smile

I hate the Scoobies ganging up on Buffy at the party, I hate them changing the nice dinner Joyce had planned into a party in the first place, and I hate some of the arguments they use intensely.

For example, instead of complaining about how Buffy wasn't around to talk to about dating and magic, why didn't Willow say, "Hey, Buffy, I risked my life to try to put Angel's soul back so you wouldn't have to kill him! I'm sorry he's gone but it hurt that you never even called." And then Buffy could have brought up the whole "kick his ass" thing and they both could have been united in fury against Xander, who proved he deserved it with that "hop a Greyhound over boy troubles" comment. I don't actually understand how Buffy can still be friends with Xander after that.

Maybe I would have more sympathy for the Scoobies and Joyce if Buffy had been back for, say, two weeks and still wasn't willing to talk. But two days?

Thoughts on the various reactions early in the episode to Buffy being home (Joyce, Scoobies, Giles)? Giles' reaction was very sweet, and he really came out of this episode looking like the best of the bunch. I thought most of Joyce's actions were understandable, and it didn't bother me that the Scoobies seemed a bit wary and awkward at first. All of that makes sense. It was only the later part that bothered me.

Any idea of what the dream sequence with Angel meant?  My best guess is that when Buffy says, "I thought they'd be here," she means she thought her friends would be welcoming and she'd go right back to her normal life. When Angel says, "They are. They're waiting for you," he means that she needs to open up to them first. She's afraid to do that, and Angel tells her that her fears are justified because they clearly are!

Is there a better interpretation that I'm missing?

Maybe it's just me, but he seems very Angelus-y in this dream. Kind of smirky.

What did you think of Willow and Buffy's interactions and what they said about their friendship? Willow disappointed me in this episode. I thought all her explanations in Buffy's bedroom seemed pretty underwhelming for someone usually as perceptive as Willow is. Sure, she couldn't talk about Oz with Oz himself or Xander, but why couldn't she talk magic with them? Or Giles? And even bringing up her "serious dating" to Buffy at that moment seemed a little cruel, since she never asks about Angel or offers any condolences or anything.

I do think it's reasonable for Willow to be angry at Buffy for leaving them hanging for so long and to feel like Buffy didn't care about her since she never checked in. But still. It does seem like this is where her ambivalence/resentment about being a sidekick to Buffy starts to come through. She says reluctantly that she'll change her plans, then stands Buffy up, then is pretty harsh about Buffy not being there for her, despite everything Buffy was going through.

During the big blowup at the dinner-turned-hootenanny, do you tend to side more with Buffy or with Joyce and the Scoobies? Or do you see both sides pretty equally? Does Xander make you very, very angry?  I know I've been very subtle about it, but I'm thinking you can get a hint of my feelings. Smile

How do you feel about how everything wraps up? The same way I feel about the rest of the episode! That is to say, not good.

Favorite lines/scenes? 

OK, there are at least some good lines!

Cordelia: I'm the dip.

Stoner: Sorry. He's not here. You got the wrong casa, Mr. Belvedere.

Giles: Unbelievable.'Do you like my mask? Isn't it pretty? It raises the *dead*!' Americans.

Cordelia: How do we know it's really you and not zombie Giles?
Giles: Cordelia, do stop being tiresome.
Cordelia: It's him.

The script online had a few interesting things.

At the end of the "Nighthawk" vampire hunting scene in the beginning, the description reads:

Quote:
At last the gang reacts, shocked and excited. Move in to greet her.

Didn't see a lot of excitement.

This scene was cut:

Quote:
INT. SCHOOL HALLWAY - DAY
Joyce follows Buffy out into the hall. Giles, who's been lingering but trying non to look like he's been lingering, approaches.

GILES
Well. How did it go?

JOYCE
(furious)
Have you ever noticed his teeth? They're like tiny, little rodent teeth -

GILES
Oh, dear...

JOYCE
Horrible gnashing little teeth. You just want to pull them out with pliers.

GILES
Perhaps there's some way he can be over-ruled...

Now Joyce and Giles move away from Buffy, talking intently about her "situation." The BELL RINGS and the hall is suddenly flooded with students - all moving with purpose from one class to the next.

CLOSE ON BUFFY
As the kids pass, not seeming to notice her. She looks, and feels, lost - displaced.

We missed hearing about Jonathan's moped:

Quote:
INT. BUFFY'S HOUSE - LIVING ROOM - NIGHT
The party is verging on WILD. People dance. The ubiquitous JONATHAN chats up a CUTE GIRL, who looks like she'd rather be anywhere else.

JONATHAN
...I think you'll be impressed. It's the Cadillac of mopeds...

That's it. The girl walks away. Jonathan plays it off like it's all good. No problemo...

I wish they had left this line of Joyce's in, since I think it gives us more insight into both Joyce and Buffy:

Quote:
JOYCE
Really? I'm....
(then/letting down)
I don't know. While Buffy was gone - all I could think about was getting her home. I just knew if I could put my arms around her and tell her how much I loved her - then everything would be okay...

PAT
But?

JOYCE
But things are never that simple, are they? I mean, she's here. She's right in front of me... So now I can see how unhappy she is. And I still don't know what to say - what to do - to make things right.

INT. HALLWAY LEADING TO KITCHEN - CONTINUOUS - NIGHT
Buffy, still looking for a safe place to hang, moves toward the kitchen. Stops when she overhears-

JOYCE (O.C.)
Having Buffy home - I thought it would make it all better. But in some ways, it's almost worse...

I'm not sure if I like this expanded line of Willow's better or not:
Quote:
WILLOW
I don't just mean that. I mean my life. I have all sorts of -- I'm dating, I'm having serious dating... with a werewolf, and I've been studying witchcraft and killing vampires, andyou were my best friend, I didn't have anyone to talk to about all this scary life stuff. Then you come back and you didn't even ask about me. You just worried about whether I was mad at you.

A little moment for Jonathan and Devon was cut:

Quote:
ON DEVON AND JONATHAN
As Jonathan grabs one of the band's GUITARS to beat zombies with.

DEVON
Not my guitar! Use the bass.
bonnaleah
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What do you guys think? Does it look like an angel or is it some symbol I just don't recognize? I don't think I ever noticed it before, or if I did I just thought it was a crucifix.

Wow, somebody's got a good eye. I had never noticed it either but it does look like an angel with outstretched wings.

Grace, I'm nodding in agreement while reading your thoughts. I agree with everything you said! And you're right, Angel did have that Angelus smirk in the dream.

It's not one of my favorites to re-watch because it's so emotionally gut wrenching. This one gets my blood boiling far more than even "Empty Places"....but it also has scenes that I absolutely adore, so over all I think it's a good episode.

Thoughts on the various reactions early in the episode to Buffy being home (Joyce, Scoobies, Giles)?

I think Joyce was really trying to make it as easy for Buffy as possible. It's clear that she still didn't quite understand "the slaying", and I think the idea of Buffy slaying scares her. I had the feeling it was hard for her to let Buffy out of her sight....what with the 4 course snack after dinner, and wanting to drive her to look for Willow and Xander. I think it was wonderful of Joyce to invite Xander, Willow and Giles to dinner to help Buffy re-connect, and I loved how she stood up to Snyder, and how she referred to Snyder as " that nasty little horrid, bigoted, rodent-man". I also really loved that Joyce was trying her best to assure Buffy that everything was going to be alright.....Joyce didn't want Buffy to worry about school because she was going to find the solution and everything was going to be ok. I really love Joyce this episode.

The simple "Welcome home Buffy" from Giles was perfect and conveyed so many things that Buffy needed to know from him. He wasn't angry with her and he wasn't going to make her feel bad or question her about her time away. He was just happy to have her back home. I absolutely adore the scene of Giles making tea in the kitchen....when he takes off his glasses and leans against the cupboard it gets me kinda teary eyed. His love for Buffy and his relief that she's come back home safely is all right there in that little scene, as he shuts his eyes and takes a moment to savor the sound of her voice in the next room.

Xander and Willow both acted like brats imo. Xander, in an "in your face" way and Willow, in a passive aggressive way. One of the first things Xander did was point out to Buffy that she had ran away and abandoned her post and her friends and her mom.. and that Giles had laid awake every night worrying about her. Such a contrast to the way Giles had welcomed her home. Xander can be such a self centered jerk and he was that and more this episode.

'So, Buffy, did you meet any nice pimps on your travels? And oh, by the by, thanks for ruining our lives for the past three months.'

He and Willow were both going all drama queen in thinking their lives were ruined by Buffy leaving town....their lives didn't seem very ruined to me. Xander and Cordy looked happy together, as did Willow and Oz. In her own way Willow acted as badly as Xander did....As Grace pointed out earlier, there was and is some serious miscommunication between Willow and Buffy, thanks to Xander's lie in Becoming....Even so I thought Xander and Willow were all about themselves and couldn't be bothered to to think that Buffy must have had a good reason to leave.

Any idea of what the dream sequence with Angel meant?

Not a clue. I love that he is still appearing in Buffy's dreams though. Too bad it didn't last longer.

During the big blowup at the dinner-turned-hootenanny, do you tend to side more with Buffy or with Joyce and the Scoobies? Or do you see both sides pretty equally?

I sided with Buffy over Xander and Willow...no contest really. Joyce is another story. I tended to put hers side and Buffy's side on equal footing.

Does Xander make you very, very angry?

Well I've said before that I have this love/hate relationship with Xander throughout the series...I'm not feelin the love right now....Yeah, Xander makes me very, very, angry.

How do you feel about how everything wraps up?

I thought it wasn't very realistic. All those hurt feelings don't just go away because of killing zombies together....so the ending seemed phony to me. I did appreciate that Joyce got to see Buffy in action and now has a better understanding of what it means to be a slayer.

Favorite lines

Buffy: I got in a few hours ago, but I wanted to go see my mom first.

Giles: Yes. Yes, of course. How, how did you find her?

Buffy: Well, I pretty much remembered the address.

Favorite scenes?

Cut to Principal Snyder's office the next day. He's getting some files
from his cabinet. There is a knock on his door. It opens and Giles comes
in. Snyder glances over to see who it is, and goes to his desk.

Snyder: Do we have an appointment?

Giles: I'd like to have a word with you.

Snyder drops the files on his desk and turns to face Giles.

Snyder: If that word is Buffy, then I have two words for you: 'good'
and 'riddance'. Now, if you don't mind, I have an appointment with the
Mayor.

Giles: You can't keep her out of this school.

Snyder: (pulls on his jacket) I think you'll find I can.

Giles: You had no grounds for expelling her.

Snyder: I have grounds, I have precedent, and a tingly kind of feeling.

Giles: Buffy Summers is a minor, and is entitled to a public education.
Your personal dislike of the girl does not legally entitle you to--

Snyder: (interrupts) Why don't you take it up with the city council?

He grabs the files and his briefcase and heads for the door.

Giles: I thought I'd start with the State Supreme Court.

Snyder stops and faces him.

Giles: You're powerful in local circles, but I believe I can make life
very difficult for you, professionally speaking. (confidently) And Buffy
will be allowed back in.

Snyder: Sorry. I'm not convinced.

He tries to go again. Giles grabs him by the lapel and shoves him back
into his filing cabinet.

Giles: (grining) Would you like me to convince you?
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonnaleah wrote:
Joyce is another story. I tended to put hers side and Buffy's side on equal footing.

Yeah, I was probably too hard on Joyce. It wasn't great to argue with Buffy in front of the party instead of privately, but she certainly wasn't as out of line as Xander. Smile

You know how I love those Dawn AU gifsets from onegirlinalltheworld on Tumblr. This is a particularly interesting episode to think about in terms of how everyone's memory of it might be different now. Joyce wouldn't have been so alone over the summer, but she would have had the extra challenge of dealing with the emotions of a younger child. The gang may have been less likely to change the dinner into a hootenanny, especially if it was a school night. I could see Dawn being upset at the dinner, and that being what sparked the big fight instead. Or it could have gone completely differently. Anyway, interesting to think about!
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3x03 Faith, Hope & Trick
Written by David Greenwalt
Directed by James A. Contner
Original air date: October 13, 1998

Summary from BuffyGuide.com: "There's a new Slayer, a new villain, and a new love interest for Buffy... and the return of another character as well."

1. Overall thoughts on this episode?
2. How did you feel about our introductions to Faith, Scott Hope and Mr. Trick?
3. What did you think of the Scooby dynamic with Buffy and their reaction to Faith?
4. What do you think was the meaning behind Buffy's dream?
5. Did you like the way the Claddagh rings were used in this episode?
6. How did you feel about Giles' "trick" to get Buffy to open up about what happened with Angel?
7. ANGEL IS BACK! What did you think about the way this initial revelation was handled?
8. Favorite lines/scenes?
bonnaleah
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the episode a lot.

I loved Joyce's (sing-song) Nyah, nyah-nyah-nyah, nyah to Snyder.

I laughed out loud when Giles overheard Willow telling Buffy about the weird clucking sound he makes with his tongue when he's mad.

How did you feel about our introductions to Faith, Scott Hope and Mr. Trick?

I know I'm in the minority but I have never warmed up to Faith. Even now that she's redeemed, I still have a hard time liking the character. Eliza did such a convincing job in playing Faith, that all I see when I see Eliza is Faith....so the character has kinda ruined Eliza for me too.

Scott Hope seemed like a nice enough guy but he's no substitute for Angel.

What do you think was the meaning behind Buffy's dream?

I think Buffy must dream of Angel nightly...we've been shown a dream with Angel every episode. She loves him still and misses him....she's struggling with the guilt of killing Angel instead of Angelus. I know she didn't really kill Angel, but Buffy always describes it that way. The thing about the dream that stood out the most to me was the way her friends were watching stonefaced as Angel disintegrated....totally unfeeling and unaffected by Angel's demise. This is of course what Buffy believes because of Xanders lie. Her friends are happy that Angel is gone, and they wouldn't understand that she still loves and misses him.

Did you like the way the Claddagh rings were used in this episode?

I thought Scott was getting a little ahead of himself by giving Buffy the ring...I mean they haven't even had a date yet. ....

Buffy saying goodbye to Angel by leaving the Caddagh in the mansion was sad .....thankfully it was a short lived sad....I was totally not expecting for that ring to start shaking and for Angel to fall back into the mansion. Wow! Oh happy day...Angel is back.....and naked to boot. Very happy about this turn of events.

How did you feel about Giles' "trick" to get Buffy to open up about what happened with Angel?

Giles is always the smartest person in the room and he seemed to know that there was more to the story than Buffy was telling him. It was good that she got it all off her chest....and good that Willow knows her spell worked...
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall thoughts on this episode?  This one is in the middle for me, though it's better than Dead Man's Party. Willow and Xander are still annoying me with their attitudes, but I like the way Faith and Buffy's issues are paralleled. Especially the scene where Faith is packing her bag, because you could just imagine Buffy saying the same thing to the Buffy who was packing a bag when Willow came in during the last ep:

Quote:
Buffy: Yeah. You're a real bad-ass when it comes to packing. What was that you said about my problem? Gotta deal and move on? Well, we have the 'moving on' part right here. What about dealing?

And both of them end up dealing.

How did you feel about our introductions to Faith, Scott Hope and Mr. Trick? 

Faith: I really like Faith in this episode. In fact, this may be the most I ever like her on BtVS. I really like how she pulls through with Kakistos at the end.

Scott Hope:

bonnaleah wrote:
Scott Hope seemed like a nice enough guy but he's no substitute for Angel.

You said it.

Mr. Trick: He's funny, he thinks big picture and he's not afraid to totally abandon the guy he works for in his time of need. What's not to like?

What did you think of the Scooby dynamic with Buffy and their reaction to Faith? I think Xander and Willow are not over Buffy running away. They still seem distant with her, and their quickness to embrace Faith just reinforces Buffy's insecurities. Blargh.

Willow's "What's stopping you?" to Buffy re: Scott Hope especially got to me. C'mon, Willow!

Despite my annoyance with Willow, she and Oz continue to be adorable.

What do you think was the meaning behind Buffy's dream?

bonnaleah wrote:
The thing about the dream that stood out the most to me was the way her friends were watching stonefaced as Angel disintegrated....totally unfeeling and unaffected by Angel's demise. This is of course what Buffy believes because of Xanders lie. Her friends are happy that Angel is gone, and they wouldn't understand that she still loves and misses him.

Oh, wow. That's a great observation.

I interpreted Buffy's ring sliding off as a signal that she was getting ready to try to start moving on, but that triggered her guilt to rise up.

I liked the use of the lyrics from the Third Eye Blind song in the dream:
Everything is quiet since you're not around
And I live in the numbness now
In the background...

So perfect.

Did you like the way the Claddagh rings were used in this episode? 

bonnaleah wrote:
I thought Scott was getting a little ahead of himself by giving Buffy the ring...I mean they haven't even had a date yet. ....

Definitely! She should have known it wasn't going to end well. Smile

I thought it was a great choice to have Angel's return linked to the ring, and it definitely brought to mind sybil's comments:

sybil wrote:
Later on, BTW, the ring on the floor actually is symbolic of the "hero's rebirth" (the birth channel) through which "our hero" can make that transition, transformation, even transfiguration.

sybil wrote:
The ring is not only the "eternal circle" for forever, it also holds the "zen"notion of "infinite emptiness" required of enlightenment and transformation. The union of opposites, yet again, that makes two into one.

I love that Angel's return is mysterious. I know that people criticize that deus ex machina kind of thing, but I think it's really important for Angel's arc that he not know why he was brought back. It's a key step toward starting to find his mission on his own (and I like the "why am I here?" element).

How did you feel about Giles' "trick" to get Buffy to open up about what happened with Angel?  Giles is handling Buffy's return really well, I think. He's been low-key and not pushy and gotten right back to business, all the things Buffy needed. But he's also shown the most empathy and read between the lines in so much of what she's done and said.

I think he respects and trusts Buffy so much that he knew it had to be something really big that got her to react so strongly that she ran away. He knows she's not selfish and stupid as Xander called her.

(As a side note, I think it's funny that Giles is the only watcher with an active slayer, at least for the moment, but he doesn't get invited to the retreat. Someone in another forum suggested that maybe it's actually an unwanted job, since watchers all know their slayers will die, and training potentials or researching or whatever is less fraught most of the time. Though it would be extra-bad to be the watcher who took a potential from her parents at a young age and trained her and then she was called.)

Favorite lines/scenes?

Oz: Prepare to uncouple... uncouple.

Buffy: First of all, Martha Stewart knows jack about hand-cut prosciutto.
(This seemed like such an SMG thing to say that I couldn't help but love it.)

Willow: You're supposed to stop me when I do that.
Oz: I like when you do that.

Willow: You really *do* need to find the fun, B ... uffy.

Joyce: It's probably good you were an only child.
(Not for long!)

A few notes from the script available online....

Here are our introductions to the new characters:

Quote:
Willow sees: SCOTT HOPE, nice guy Senior, heading their way.

Quote:
We catch a glimpse of MR. TRICK as the darkened window rolls back up. He is young (20's), smart, easygoing and deadly. Speaks quickly and mellifluously, all charm.

Quote:
Start on the band (if we have one) playing something sexy. Drift through the dancers, lingering on a WILD GIRL (FAITH, young, loose and fast, 18-ish, biker type meets trailer park) dancing suggestively with an older GUY, mid-20's, his dance steps reminiscent of the seventies. Xander and Cordelia dance nearby.

A little cut from the alligator scene:
Quote:
WILLOW
(worried)
Did the alligator get hurt?

FAITH
Only a little. Then it was dead.

WILLOW
Oh. No...

In this version, the ring Scott gave Buffy would have been revealed to not be a Claddagh, despite what we initially saw:

Quote:
ANGLE - THE RING IN SCOTT'S HAND
Is not the Claddagh ring but a simple friendship ring, colored plastic or something markedly different.

And Buffy was supposed to slap Faith when Kakistos showed up:

Quote:
Faith starts screaming. Buffy slaps her hard across the face.

Buffy was also supposed to fight with Mr. Trick before he decided to skedaddle.

And I'll just quote the descriptions for the whole ending because it's fun to read:

Quote:
She opens her hand, lets go of the ring. It slips to the ground (again, not unlike in her dream?) She stays there very still, as if in prayer.

BIG INSERT - THE RING
comes to rest on the ground.

BUFFY RISES

She's not dancing and singing, but she's taken the first step in the long journey that will put him to rest and allow her to get on with her life.

She turns and walks out the front door.

HOLD THE ROOM

As our music gently builds to the end and the scene starts to fade. It fades to black, until the only thing visible in the room is the ring itself.

Visible because we now realize: it's glowing.

And then there's a LOW RUMBLING TREMOR which builds to a frightening crescendo culminating in --

A BLINDING FLASH OF LIGHTS

Something DARK AND LARGE hurtles out of the lights and lands on the cold stone floor. PUSH IN:

Naked and shivering, virtually mad, something huddles there -- something fresh out of hell -- his own hand inches away from the ring: Angel.

BLACK OUT.

Also, if anyone is interested in Buffy podcasts, the Buffering the Vampire Slayer one just happens to be following the same schedule as we are this season. They posted their Faith, Hope & Trick episode today. I haven't listened but the podcast gets positive reviews from people with good taste (as in, B/A fans) over on buffy-boards.com.

And I leave you with my favorite of the Dawn AU gifsets.
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3x04 Beauty and the Beasts
Written by Marti Noxon
Directed by James Whitmore Jr.
Original air date: October 20, 1998

Summary from BuffyGuide.com: "Oz-wolf is the suspect of a brutal murder, and Buffy secretly discovers that Angel is back from hell."

1. Overall thoughts on this episode? Anything stand out on rewatch?
2. How do you like the "Call of the Wild" narration?
3. Giles tells us there are two types of monsters: those that want to be redeemed and those that are devoid of humanity, who "cannot respond to reason or love." How did you feel about that theme to the episode?
4. Thoughts on how Oz and Willow handle the possible wolf killings?
5. What did you think of Mr. Platt?
6. Thoughts about Angel in this episode and how Buffy dealt with his return?
7. How did you feel about the handling of the Pete/Debbie relationship?
8. Thoughts on other characters? Xander? Scott Hope? Faith?
9. Favorite lines/scenes?

No watching of Beauty and the Beasts is complete without following up with Kairos' Damnation's Castaway Awakening.

Also, I'm starting to think that Miss Edith and friends getting left behind is the real reason Spike and Dru broke up.

Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall thoughts on this episode? Anything stand out on rewatch? Overall, I like Beauty and the Beasts, as heavy-handed as it is. The opening scenes especially make it feel like things are getting back to normal after the summer. Willow and Xander have a cute interaction, Buffy and Faith have some good banter, and it's feeling more natural again.

The thing I noticed more on rewatch was Miss Edith. Yes, she spoke out of turn, but I think being abandoned was a tad harsh. Not that Drusilla had any choice in the matter, being knocked out at the time. Smile Smile Smile

Also, if Pete was Mr. Science, why did Debbie need senior bio help from Oz?

How do you like the "Call of the Wild" narration? I like it, especially Wolfie Oz's reaction to the word "rabbit."

Giles tells us there are two types of monsters ... " How did you feel about that theme to the episode?  I really like that part. I think the Passion of the Nerd video put it well when Ian said that the episode shows us Oz, who has already figured out how to minimize the danger of his "inner monster," Pete who is definitely the kind of monster who can't respond to reason or love, and Angel, who we're not sure about initially because of his feral state. But by the end, of course, we see that Angel can respond to love. {insert emoji smiley with hearts for eyes}

Thoughts on how Oz and Willow handle the possible wolf killings?  Willow's willingness to do forensic detective work was incredibly sweet. Oz's reactions were so very Oz.

What did you think of Mr. Platt?  I miss him already. Poor Buffy.

Thoughts about Angel in this episode and how Buffy dealt with his return? I wish Buffy wouldn't have bothered with the "dream" cover when talking to Giles, but I can understand why she did it. That moment at the end when Angel falls to his knees is so amazingly done. Their facial expressions!

How did you feel about the handling of the Pete/Debbie relationship? Definitely the weakest part of the episode, I think. If they really wanted to tackle this issue, it might have been interesting to make Debbie the abuser. That would have given a twist to the "men are beasts" thing (not that I think the episode is anti-man). But even just making their dialogue slightly less cliche would have helped.

Favorite lines/scenes? 

Willow: He's just being Oz.
Oz: Pretty much full-time.

Xander: We're doing crime here. You don't sneak up during crime.

Giles: Oh, right. Bloody priceless.

Cordelia: Great. Now I'm gonna be stuck with serious thoughts all day.

Some notes on the script...

A bit of Buffy/Scott dialogue that was cut (deservedly, I think):

Quote:
SCOTT
Stable. Okay. Topics to avoid. The little men that live in your teeth…. Your compulsion to paint circus clowns….

BUFFY
(sincerely)
But if God keeps telling me to kill - it just seems snotty not to, you know?

SCOTT
You'll do great.

I'm kind of sad these Willow/Oz kisses were cut!

Quote:
INT. SCHOOL - HALLWAY - DAY
Buffy talks to Oz and Willow as they move down the hall.

WILLOW
Okay. You. Scott. School kiss.

BUFFY
Not a deal. We've kissed before.

WILLOW
But in the dark. Alone. A school kiss is a whole 'nother deal. It's statement-y. it says - hey, peers - we're smooching!

BUFFY (anxious now)
Do you think it was too much?

OZ
I thought it was right. It said "nice seeing you" - not - "take me now." Not that I have anything against a "take me now" kiss, mind you. But it's not very school.

WILLOW
Totally. That kind of kiss in school is all about showing off. The "haves" rubbing it in the faces of the "have-nots."

Now Willow stops at her locker. Oz lingers with her as Buffy, preoccupied, moves on down the hall.

BUFFY
So I'm good. Yeah. I think…..

And she's gone. Willow turns to Oz.

WILLOW
I'm not sure I completely understand. What was the first kind of kiss?

OZ
Oh. That would be the "nice seeing you kiss."

WILLOW
And - how does that go?

Oz smiles - getting it. He leans in, kisses her sweetly but quickly.

OZ
Nice seeing you.
(then)
Of course - it can be a fine line. The "nice to see you" kiss can easily morph into…. Now he gives her a slightly longer, more intense kiss.

OZ
Really nice seeing you. And if you aren't careful, that becomes….

A pretty intense smooch which shows no signs of stopping. So intense, in fact, that they don't notice TWO FRESHMAN BOYS who pass them and roll their eyes. Show offs.

This dialogue in the library was changed somewhat. I like that they gave Buffy the line about working together because that fit so well with the team seeming cohesive again. But Oz's line about overreacting comes off a little differently without the setup it has here:

Quote:
OZ
Or there just happened to be another werewolf roaming the woods.

GILES
Perhaps. Or perhaps it was something else entirely. Let's not overreact -

OZ
(frustrated)
Good in theory. Not very helpful for the potential nibbler.

GILES
That's why we all have to work to find out what happened.

BUFFY
I'll patrol the woods.
(to Willow and the others)
You guys try to get into the morgue.

WILLOW
Right, we can see if it's a werewolf kill or not. But what about Oz?

GILES
Why don't we have Faith come watch over him?

OZ
You're having a slayer watch me? Good thing we're not over-reacting.

Another Oz/Willow scene that got cut:

Quote:
Willow glances at Oz - worried.

WILLOW
I should know more after tonight. I'm doing hair and fiber tests.

OZ
You know how to do those?

WILLOW
(caught)
Not - I…like to sound technical when I'm scared. But I figure - wolf hair, hair found on the body. See if they match. It's a test.

OZ
So we're scared now. It's official.

WILLOW
What? Oh - no - I didn't mean it that way-

OZ
No. I'd say scared is pretty much called for. It's cool.

I wish they wouldn't have cut this Willow line from the locker room confrontation with Debbie.

Quote:
DEBBIE
(meekly)
Would they take him someplace?

BUFFY
Probably.

DEBBIE
(rising panic)
Be away from Pete? I can't -

WILLOW
Of course you can. And we'll both help you. Believe me - we understand.
(then)
But you have to choose. It's got to be you over him.

Another little Willow/Oz moment:
Quote:
INT. SCHOOL - HALLWAY - NIGHT
Faith and Willow cautiously approach Oz - who is unable to fend off the powerful drugs in his system. He lifts his head - looks at Willow - and with a grunt, passes out. Willow reaches down and strokes his fur tenderly.

WILLOW
We have to get you a better cage.

And, like last week, I'm just going to put the description of the Angel kneeling scene here for reading fun.

Quote:
CLOSE ON BUFFY AND ANGEL

As Angel approaches her. Buffy isn't sure what to do - whether she should be on the defensive or not.

But before she can make up her mind, he MORPHS back to human face and speaks his first human word - desperate and hopeful…

ANGEL
Buffy?

They lock eyes. It's him. She sees the kindness returned there. The familiarity.

She nods.

And with her affirmation - Angel falls to his knees at her feet. Despite the chains and shackles, he wraps his arms around her waist. Begins to cry as he feels the first comfort he's know in a hundred years.

ANGEL
Buffy…

ON BUFFY
Overwhelmed. Fighting her own tears. This can't be happening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: