Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buffy Season 3: 20th Anniversary Rewatch Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonnaleah
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall thoughts on this episode? Anything stand out on rewatch?

This is one of those episodes that I like a lot in spite of Pete/ Debbie. Mostly I like it because it's so very focused on B/A.

How do you like the "Call of the Wild" narration?

I think it's perfect. The narration at the end coupled with Buffy watching Angel sleep is so, so, beautiful and moving. I think it's the most beautiful scene in the entire series.

And the strain of the primitive remained alive and active.''Faithfulness and devotion, things born of fire and roof were his...'...yet he retained his wildness and wiliness.' 'And from the depths of the forest, a call still sounded.'

I just love this passage so much, and how it fits so perfectly with the newly returned Angel.

Giles tells us there are two types of monsters: those that want to be redeemed and those that are devoid of humanity, who "cannot respond to reason or love." How did you feel about that theme to the episode?

I guess I was just pretty happy that Angel had survived the 100 years in Hell without becoming a complete monster. I loved how the point was made that it would take someone of extraordinary will and character to survive the brutal torment of the hell dimension, and retain any semblance of self. Pete was of course the real monster of the episode.

Thoughts on how Oz and Willow handle the possible wolf killings?

I felt bad that Oz was in such a position. Poor Oz has to trust that whoever is watching over him is actually and truly watching over him...and you know Xander let him and everyone down by not doing what he said he would do. It was clear that Xander had no intention of staying awake, since he immediately shut his eyes and went to sleep. So I lay the entire Oz scare at Xanders feet, and blame him for Willow and Oz having to worry so much about it.

Willow was a real trooper in investigating the dead body for clues, and I think when Buffy was questioning her so hard about the manner of the killing , she was worried that maybe Angel was the killer.

What did you think of Mr. Platt?

I thought he was great, and wished he could have stayed around a while.

Thoughts about Angel in this episode and how Buffy dealt with his return?

I understood her caution and secrecy. I think she was afraid that everyone would want to have Angel put down if they knew he was back....and they probably would have with the feral way Angel was behaving. We know of course that Buffy still loves Angel because of her conversation with Mr. Platt....Well we B/Aers knew it without the confirmation but confirmation was nice.

Mr. Platt: And you didn't stop loving him.

Buffy doesn't know what to add or how to respond.

Mr. Platt: Look, lots of people lose themselves in love. It's, it's no shame. They write songs about it. The hitch is, you can't stay lost.
Sooner or later, you... you have to get back to yourself.

Buffy: (considers) And if you can't?

So I think Buffy's actions were justified and I don't blame her for keeping Angel's return a secret.

Thoughts on other characters? Xander? Scott Hope? Faith?

Scott Hope looks like he is about 14 years old and I wonder if that was a deliberate casting decision to provide such a stark contrast to Angel. Faith was a team player in this ep so I didn't mind her.

Favorite lines/scenes?

Oz: About this cage? When that sun sets...

Pete: (whispers threateningly) You won't be alive to see it!

He rattles the cage again and steps back from it, seething with anger.

Oz: I'm serious. Something's gonna happen that you... probably won't
believe.

Pete screams as his head whips around and he transforms into his alter
ego again. He looks at Oz with murder in his eyes when the change is
complete. Oz is amazed, and takes a step backward.

Oz: Or you might.
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3x05 Homecoming
Written and directed by David Greenwalt
Original air date: November 3, 1998

Summary from BuffyGuide.com: "Buffy and Cordelia compete for Homecoming Queen and are hunted in a competition of a different kind; Willow and Xander's friendship takes a turn."

1. Overall thoughts on this episode?
2. What did you think of the Buffy vs. Cordelia storyline?
3. Did you like the Slayerfest concept?
4. Thoughts on Willow and Xander?
5. How about Buffy's scene with Angel and her decision to keep him a secret?
6. Were you happy to see Scott Hope go?
7. Were you happy to see the Mayor appear?
8. Thoughts about other characters? Faith? Giles? Oz?
9. Favorite lines/scenes?
bonnaleah
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall thoughts on this episode?

I really felt bad for Buffy this episode. She was really making an effort to get over Angel and then bam! She was totally blindsided by that little twerp Scott Hope. Like his personality is such a force of nature....yeah right. Good riddance to him. He was never going to be the guy that got Buffy over Angel anyway...so run along Scott. I guess in fairness to Scott there is never going to be a guy that gets Buffy over Angel.....but I dislike Scott Hope anyway.

And then Willow throwing in with Cordy against Buffy...I hated that.

What did you think of the Buffy vs. Cordelia storyline?

At this point in the series I'm still not a big fan of Cordy, and any goodwill that I might have been feeling for her character, quickly evaporated when she said hateful things to Buffy about not being a part of the school or having friends. I so wanted Buffy to win Homecoming Queen and rub it in Cordy's face, but if she couldn't win I'm happy that Cordy didn't either.

Cordy admits to being in love with Xander.

Did you like the Slayerfest concept?

What I liked best were the participants..I thought Lyle Gorch and his new bride Candy were hilarious....and Trick was pretty funny too calling spiny head, "my brother".

Thoughts on Willow and Xander?

I have always thought that Xander didn't really want Willow but he didn't like the idea of anyone else having her either. He's always known how Willow felt about him but he only returned the interest after she became involved with Oz. Aw poor Oz...he doesn't deserve that.

How about Buffy's scene with Angel and her decision to keep him a secret?

I understood her desire to keep Angel a secret, and I agreed with her reasoning. I don't think the gang would have just trusted that Angel was better...and who could blame them really. But I liked that Buffy was secretly taking care of him and protecting him. I think she was sincere in her efforts to move past her feelings for him, and was trying to be honest with Angel when she mentioned that she was seeing someone. I thought it was cool the way Angel straightened her collar after she told him. It was like yeah but you're still wearing the leather jacket I gave you.

Were you happy to see Scott Hope go?

Totally!

Were you happy to see the Mayor appear?

Seeing the Mayor makes me smile so much. I loved how he was so concerned about the cleanliness of Allan Finch's hands. So funny.

Thoughts about other characters? Faith? Giles? Oz?
If only Faith had stayed the way she was in this episode I would have loved her forever. When she told Scott Hope in front of his date that the doctor said that the itching and the swelling and the burning should clear up, but they gotta keep using the ointment, I really really loved her.
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall thoughts on this episode? I enjoy it! I think it's fun, and I like seeing Buffy try one last time to be Cordelia-esque before mostly putting that behind her. The downside is that it does seem to prevent the full healing of the rift between the Scoobies, though Xander and Willow's guilt is an even bigger factor. And now there are too many secrets.

What did you think of the Buffy vs. Cordelia storyline? The best part, to me, is that neither of them got to be homecoming queen in the end. I loved Giles' dad-like certainty that Buffy would win, but the recognition she wants for being part of her senior class and of Sunnydale High life will be much better when it's not a popularity contest and instead the lovely gesture of the Class Protector award.

As unpleasant as she can be, Cordelia's admission that she thinks she loves Xander does tug at my heartstrings. I wonder what would have happened if Xander had actually loved Cordelia back! Xander is still on my do-not-like list at this point in the series, and he doesn't help his case in this episode.

Did you like the Slayerfest concept? Yes! I like Mr. Trick, and I find the whole thing amusing, if silly.

Thoughts on Willow and Xander? As much as I don't like the repercussions this will have, I have to say I still find their kissing scene to be cute. They both look so nice and the music is good and there's just something about the changing-clothes-behind-a-screen thing that I find charming.

But bad Willow! Bad Xander!

How about Buffy's scene with Angel and her decision to keep him a secret?

bonnaleah wrote:
I understood her desire to keep Angel a secret, and I agreed with her reasoning. I don't think the gang would have just trusted that Angel was better...and who could blame them really. But I liked that Buffy was secretly taking care of him and protecting him. I think she was sincere in her efforts to move past her feelings for him, and was trying to be honest with Angel when she mentioned that she was seeing someone. I thought it was cool the way Angel straightened her collar after she told him. It was like yeah but you're still wearing the leather jacket I gave you.

Agreed with all of this, though I wasn't sure if that was *the* jacket. That's a nice touch!

I can definitely sympathize with Buffy's hesitation about telling the gang. Even the thought of having to go through the debate that would inevitably ensue would be incredibly painful. And she was probably totally unsure of how Giles would react, with good reason, as we see how he responds when Angel seeks him out in Amends.

Were you happy to see Scott Hope go? 

bonnaleah wrote:
She was totally blindsided by that little twerp Scott Hope. Like his personality is such a force of nature....yeah right. Good riddance to him. He was never going to be the guy that got Buffy over Angel anyway...so run along Scott. I guess in fairness to Scott there is never going to be a guy that gets Buffy over Angel.....but I dislike Scott Hope anyway.

I am happy to co-sign all of this!

Were you happy to see the Mayor appear? Ah, the Mayor. What a wonderful villain he is. I never tire of him.

Thoughts about other characters? Faith? Giles? Oz? I had forgotten how wonderful Faith was in this episode. She gets many points in my book.

Favorite lines/scenes?

Willow: No, I'm not a friend. I'm a rabid dog who should be shot! But there're forces at work here! Dark, incomprehensible forces.
Buffy: And I'm sure they're more important than all we've been through together, or... the number of times that I've saved your life.
Willow: What do you want?

Giles: We have to find Buffy. Something terrible's happened. Just kidding. Thought I'd give you a scare.

Giles: I suspect the, uh, finger food contains... actual fingers. I think I'll retreat to the library until the coronation. I wanna be here when, when, when Buffy... Well, uh, however the thing turns out for her.

Now, to the script comparison...

This exchange early on was cut:

Quote:
BUFFY
(to take attention off herself)
So, Cordy, what's your strategy for winning the election? Is it safe to say bribes are involved?

CORDELIA
Bribes are only a part of it. A year ago I would have had this thing sewn. But the public's fickle. There's competition now, not to mention my liabilities. (glances at Xander)

XANDER
Are you saying that dating me is some kind of hindrance to you bagging Homecoming Queen?

CORDELIA
Oh, sweetie... it's okay, I can overcome it, I'm that good.

XANDER
Well, all right then.

As a side note, I would personally love to have a conversation with Aura or Aphrodesia or someone about exactly how the social dynamics of the senior class have been reshaped by Cordelia dating Xander and essentially abandoning her old crowd. Smile

In the script version, Buffy calls Scott her boyfriend:

Quote:
BUFFY
And I'm going to help you keep getting better but... everything's different now, Angel. I'm working harder at school. I'm a Senior now, thinking about college -- also I have a boyfriend.

Angel suddenly moves to her. She doesn't know what he's going to do. He reaches for her -- very close, she can smell his bare skin -- he fixes the (twisted) collar on her jacket or blouse -- turns away again.

Our introduction to the Mayor:

Quote:
As Allan talks, the mayor takes the picture and we get our first good look at his face. It couldn't be more unassuming. One feels this man has not raised his voice in years, and although he is mild enough in demeanor, one hopes he won't.

So, I guess Buffy was going to threaten Jonathan to get his vote...

Quote:
BUFFY
Okay, how 'bout... you vote for me and I don't beat the living crap out of you.

Jonathan stops chewing, swallows.

JONATHAN
That works good for me.
(backs away)

BUFFY
(cheery)
Tell your friends!

This was cut during the homecoming dance portion of the episode:

Quote:
XANDER
Giles is developing a sense of humor.

WILLOW
I'm scared, too.

There was also some really obnoxious dialogue between Lyle and Candy Gorch that was cut, but no one needs to see that. Smile
dcai0830
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this review all typed out and then it got erased. Grr. Argh. I'll try to remember how insightful I was.

1. Overall thoughts on this episode?

I really love the feel of this episode. The whole thing is kind of like a teen movie back in the days. Think "She's all That." It has the dance, the popularity contest, it has the alternative music montage where Cordy and Buffy are campaigning for homecoming queen. Its a cool homage to the movies of that time I wonder if that is purposeful?

I think the Buffy looks outstanding in this episode from beginning to end. I think she looks even better than Cordy for most of it except Cordy's dress wins out over Buffy's for me because I really don't like A line tea length. Does nothing for the figure IMO. Buffy's green silk patterned skirt when she is brainstorming in front of the dry erase board is beautiful. Something straight of out of a Delia's catalog. If you are old like me you will know what I mean! Smile

Finally, the Buffy story kinda breaks my heart a little. She has still not let go of this idea of having a sense of normalcy. She is the slayer that is who she is but even after being repeatedly shown that her life is not normal she still tries to have the regular normal joe high school boyfriend, she wants to be remembered in the year book, she wants to be homecoming queen. It is sweet to see that she retains that naivete that she is anything close to normal.

2. What did you think of the Buffy vs. Cordelia storyline?

I am not the biggest fan of Cordy in general especially on BtVS. I don't like Cordy getting so much praise for constantly putting Buffy down. Its no difference in this episode. Cordy constantly tells Buffy she isn't good enough to be queen. I'm glad none of them win, I like that twist but overall i could use with less girl on girl hating.

3. Did you like the Slayerfest concept?

While I love Mr. Trick and Lyle Gorge, I found the Slayerfest deal a bit confusing. Was Mr. Trick working with the germans? He seemed to be invested in that guy winning? Who was running Slayerfest? How were they going to get Faith and Buffy there alone if the Scoobies had not given up the limo? Some plot holes took me out of it for a bit but overall I think the big bad was secondary to the story which was really Cordy v. Buffy.

4. Thoughts on Willow and Xander?

Too late. This ship sailed. I would have bought this story line last year but not this year. I find it incredibly OOC for Willow to cheat on Oz with Xander. Xander I can buy because he seems to never be satisfied with what he has.

5. How about Buffy's scene with Angel and her decision to keep him a secret?

I completely understand Buffy wanting to keep Angel a secret. After all the damage Angelus did, both of them are likely hesitant to let everyone know Angel is back and of course we'll see that when they in fact do find out.

I don't know how to tag users on this forum but as bonnaleah says, I completely believe that we were meant to understand that Buffy was wearing Angel's jacket when she is telling him about Scott. (As a practical matter I don't think its the same jacket but that is probably just wardrobe/prop issues its clearly an oversized leather jacket and it pulls Angel's attention). It's a heart breaking scene.

I really do understand on the one hand Buffy wanting the separation from Angel after all they have been through but I feel very protective of Angel here. She is a little bit rubbing Scott in his face, if even unintentionally. "He is a nice solid guy... that's what i need someone I can count on." I find it a bit unfair. He didn't commit any of those crimes that Angelus did. He has never been anything but solid and nice to her. He was always dependable. This frustration incidentally goes back to Beauty and the Beasts when they try to sell me on the Angel is an abusive boyfriend metaphor. As a metaphor it works, but textually that is not correct because Angel is not Angelus. Anyway, these are the growing pains of early Season 3 Buffy/Angel relationship and I recognize that they are just them trying to process everything that happened last season but it makes me sad to watch.

6. Were you happy to see Scott Hope go?

Abso-freaking-lutely. Scott Hope was an annoying little twerp. Good riddance kiddo.

7. Were you happy to see the Mayor appear?

Yes - I love the Mayor! And I love him and Mr. Trick's discussions.

8. Thoughts about other characters? Faith? Giles? Oz?

I forget how good of friends Buffy and Faith were. Faith is really great in this episode. She encourages Buffy to go to the dance and have fun, she sticks up for Buffy with Scott Hope in a hilarious only Faith would do that way, she is sweet.

9. Favorite lines/scenes?

"Just because you were Guacamole Queen when you were three doesn't mean you understand how this works."

"If this is the part where you tell me that I don't fit in here in your quiet little neighborhood, you can just skip it 'cause, see, that all got old long before I became a vampire. Do you know what I'm saying?"
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for joining us, dcai0830! I'm sorry you had technical issues, but you were plenty insightful, so you must have remembered it well! Smile

dcai0830 wrote:
It has the dance, the popularity contest, it has the alternative music montage where Cordy and Buffy are campaigning for homecoming queen.

I was definitely feeling the nostalgia during that Fastball song. I loved how Scott's appearance during that montage lined up with the lyrics "I may not be the man you want me to."

dcai0803 wrote:
I don't know how to tag users on this forum but as bonnaleah says, I completely believe that we were meant to understand that Buffy was wearing Angel's jacket when she is telling him about Scott.

First of all, if there's a way to tag people, I don't know about it. But I do know that if you type the name "Kairos," she will appear, so maybe she can tell us. Smile

Has anyone tracked all the appearances of that jacket? I always assumed that even though it looked like a totally different jacket (much better fitting!) that it was supposed to be Angel's jacket Buffy was wearing in Prophecy Girl. But I thought that jacket got left behind in the Hellmouth when the Master took it off of her before he bit her, so I wasn't sure what the status of it was.

dcai0830 wrote:
This frustration incidentally goes back to Beauty and the Beasts when they try to sell me on the Angel is an abusive boyfriend metaphor. As a metaphor it works, but textually that is not correct because Angel is not Angelus.

I like to interpret that metaphor as being more limited to the episode than about the overall B/A relationship. As in, feral Angel has attacked Buffy and she's covering for him by not telling Giles the full story, without actually knowing yet if he is too far gone to be saved. So she's similar to Debbie in that way. But at the end of the episode, we see that Angel still has his soul and is not completely feral, so then the parallel disappears.

You'll have to tell us if anything interesting comes up in the Buffering the Vampire Slayer conversation about Homecoming this week. I listed to their Faith, Hope & Trick one because I happened to be traveling, but my podcast time is otherwise pretty limited.
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace Newman wrote:

First of all, if there's a way to tag people, I don't know about it. But I do know that if you type the name "Kairos," she will appear, so maybe she can tell us. Smile

I was wondering if anyone had noticed that. (For those who are interested, you can also summon me by posting a picture of a gargoyle, stating an inaccurate animal fact, or leaving a cup of hot tea on your windowsill on the night of a full moon.)

But sorry yeah there's no way to tag people as far as I know.
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(For those who are interested, you can also summon me by leaving a cup of hot tea on your windowsill on the night of a full moon.)

Tried that, but the gargoyles kept drinking it!

You can't tag people I'm afraid, but you can send them a message. Hopefully they will respond...

"Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kairos wrote:
For those who are interested, you can also summon me by ... stating an inaccurate animal fact.

Oh, man, I will never be able to watch The Pack again without thinking of your list of all the things the writers got wrong about hyenas. So great!

Thank you for being so easily summoned by name. I will try some of the other methods in the future. Smile

And thanks to you and Dark Star for the info about tagging!
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Star wrote:

Tried that, but the gargoyles kept drinking it!

No no, they just deliver it to me, everything is working properly.

Grace wrote:

Oh, man, I will never be able to watch The Pack again without thinking of your list of all the things the writers got wrong about hyenas. So great!

I wish today's TV writers were as lazy about their research as they were in the 90s. I'd love to have an excuse for a few more lists like that one. Smile
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3x06 Band Candy
Written by Jane Espenson
Directed by Michael Lange
Original air date: November 10, 1998

Summary from BuffyGuide.com: "Candy sold by the SHS band causes the adults to behave like teenagers, with some interesting outcomes."

1. Overall thoughts on this episode? Do you think it's the funniest episode of BtVS?
2. How did you feel about how Buffy is handling the Angel situation with Joyce and Giles at this point?
3. Speaking of Angel, what did you think of that scene in the mansion with the sweaty Tai Chi?
4. Thoughts on Willow and Xander and Cordelia and Oz?
5. What about our trio of bad guys: the Mayor, Mr. Trick and Ethan Rayne?
6. How did you feel about the effects of the band candy on Giles? Joyce? Snyder?
7. Favorite lines/scenes?
8. Anything stand out on rewatch?
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall thoughts on this episode? Do you think it's the funniest episode of BtVS? How can you not love Band Candy? I do think it's the funniest episode of the series so far. I'll get back to you on the series overall when we finish the rewatch. Smile

However, I would rank Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered above Band Candy in terms of my favorite funny episodes. BB&B is more emotional, it has a really good bit of character development for Cordelia, and the twists are better, I think, especially the one with Drusilla.

How did you feel about how Buffy is handling the Angel situation with Joyce and Giles at this point? I still can't find it in myself to judge Buffy too harshly for this. I mostly wish that she didn't have to be in this circumstance at all, rather than feeling like she's the bad.

I think that's part of why this episode ends up seeming a little hollow to me. While Buffy isn't making the best choices, she has good reasons for making the choices she's making, so it doesn't seem immature to me. Lots of adults make immature decisions for way more trivial reasons.

Speaking of Angel, what did you think of that scene in the mansion with the sweaty Tai Chi? Seriously, I would like Band Candy even better if it was called Angel Candy and was 42 minutes of sweaty Angel Tai Chi. That scene is en fuego.

I was really surprised to see that it bothers the anti-Angel crowd, though. Ian makes fun of it in the Passion of the Nerd video guide (which, fine, whatever) and some of the comments complain about it, too. Spike fans complaining about "fan service" are always good for a giggle, though. Smile Smile Smile

Thoughts on Willow and Xander and Cordelia and Oz?  Sigh. While I admitted liking the kiss scene in Homecoming, I'm already over the Willow/Xander flirtation. It doesn't help that Cordelia "BX" Chase and Oz "She's always cute" Osbourne are particularly sweet in this episode.

What about our trio of bad guys: the Mayor, Mr. Trick and Ethan Rayne? I always love Ethan Rayne! The Mayor and Mr. Trick aren't super necessary, but they add a nice touch.

How did you feel about the effects of the band candy on Giles? Joyce? Snyder? OK, another reason that I don't love Band Candy as much as I could is that my huge crush on Giles massively deflates when he's a rowdy teenager. I feel like this is the opposite of most people. Smile

I also know that nitpicking humorous episodes is the quickest way to kill the fun, but I didn't understand the Ripper persona coming out if they were supposed to be teenagers. I thought that Giles dropped out of Oxford before he went all Rippy.

Quote:
Buffy: Giles at sixteen? Less Together Guy, more Bad-Magic-Hates-The-World-Ticking-Time-Bomb Guy.

I thought that was more Giles at around 20, but I guess maybe he was already a ticking time bomb? I know, I know, just go with it. It's more about immaturity than actual teenagery, etc. etc.

Favorite lines/scenes? 

Buffy: Isn't she cute when she's proud?
Oz: She's always cute.

Buffy: You could hand them out at the Gallery. 'Buy something Pre-Columbian, get a free cavity.'

Willow: He-he's usually less... topless.

Willow: 'Kiss rocks'? Why would anyone want to kiss... Oh, wait. I get it.

Also, the way Oz touches his hair after Snyder's compliment!

Anything stand out on rewatch? The stunt doubles! Smile And I hardly ever notice that kind of thing.

There was not much difference at all between the script available online and the episode as it aired. So nothing to offer you on that front!
bonnaleah
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall thoughts on this episode? Do you think it's the funniest episode of BtVS?

It's pretty funny and I guess overall it's the funniest. Prior to the eye gouging horror of S6, I would have said "Something Blue" was the funniest, because of the absurdity.

How did you feel about how Buffy is handling the Angel situation with Joyce and Giles at this point?

I think she was just doing what she had to do to in order to keep Angel safe and give him time to heal....so I didn't have a problem with her behavior at all. Sometimes the ends justify the means and that seemed to be what was going on.

Speaking of Angel, what did you think of that scene in the mansion with the sweaty Tai Chi?

Hey, I'm with you Grace....They should have just given us an entire episode devoted to Angel doing Tai Chi. But seriously, it really was a beautiful scene.....beautiful setting in the mansion's garden and beautiful Angel.

Quote:
Ian makes fun of it in the Passion of the Nerd video guide (which, fine, whatever) and some of the comments complain about it, too.

The thing with the "Passion of the Nerd video's", are that while entertaining...they are still completely subjective. Ian's opinions, are just that...his opinions....no more important or authoritative than yours or mine. I hardly ever agree with everything he says. He does have a very nice voice though...his voice sounds a lot like Dr. Drew. Anyway I'll have to give it a listen to see what the beef was about. Was it the Tai Chi, or the shirtless Tai Chi.....Cause shirt or no shirt David Boreanaz is a beautiful man. I had to google this Tai Chi stuff to even know what it's about, and apparently Angel knew exactly what he was doing. According to an article in Harvard heath publishing, Harvard Medical School, Tai Chi helps maintain strength, flexibility, and balance...with growing evidence that it has value in treating and preventing many health problems.

I love the entire scene...Angel is aware that it's hard for Buffy to see him because he asked her how she got away....Poor Angel is either still in a mental fog or he's just distracted by being with Buffy since he doesn't react to her very funny , prison laundry room fire, garbage truck escape joke. Angel has been thinking about what Buffy told him last episode too....."How's Scott?" Aw, I feel bad for Angel. Stuck in the mansion all by himself and probably just living for Buffy's visits, and now he's had a week of imagining Buffy and her boyfriend Scott.

My absolute favorite part of the scene is when they say that they worry about each other.

Thoughts on Willow and Xander and Cordelia and Oz?

Yeah I'm over it too although that's maybe because I know how it all ends. I can't remember my initial feeling about Willow/Xander but I'm pretty sure I would have been hating it because of Oz...Cordy on the other hand....I still didn't care about.

What about our trio of bad guys: the Mayor, Mr. Trick and Ethan Rayne?
I was never a big fan of Ethan Rayne, although I do love the episodes he is in. I still love Trick and the Mayor just cracks me up. He is quite the multi tasker....Feeding babies to a demon and phoning his secretary about sewer maintenance and repair, exposed gas pipes, infrastructure, ventilation, And, cancelling his 3:00.

How did you feel about the effects of the band candy on Giles? Joyce? Snyder?

I could have shipped Joyce/Giles. They were just so cute together.

Quote:
my huge crush on Giles massively deflates when he's a rowdy teenager.

I feel the same way. Even his accent changed....reminded me too much of cocky Spike.

Favorite lines/scenes?

Angel: I worry about you.
Buffy: I worry about *you*
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonnaleah wrote:
The thing with the "Passion of the Nerd video's", are that while entertaining...they are still completely subjective. Ian's opinions, are just that...his opinions....no more important or authoritative than yours or mine. I hardly ever agree with everything he says. He does have a very nice voice though...his voice sounds a lot like Dr. Drew. Anyway I'll have to give it a listen to see what the beef was about.

Yeah, you should check it out. Smile He was saying that it was lame for Buffy to say "I didn't know you could do that" because anyone moving slow to music looks good. And then he showed some video of his cat. It was funny (and then he used Angel for a Hotline Bling meme at the end, which was actually hilarious). I guess I'm so absorbed by the beauty of Boreanaz in that scene that the supposed lameness of Angel's Tai Chi never even occurred to me.

I also like Ian's voice! And I do love his videos, though I think a large part of it is that he uses Mark Field's book as his source, and it often seems like the stuff he says that I agree with is from Mark and the stuff he says that I don't agree with is his own. (Not that I agree with everything Mark says either, but Ian thinks Angel is boring, which is something I could never agree with.)
dcai0830
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace Newman wrote:
(Not that I agree with everything Mark says either, but Ian thinks Angel is boring, which is something I could never agree with.)

I'll come back to post my review soon but - WHAAAA?? I didn't know he felt this way! Sad He has a whole video about how people should give AtS a shot because its a great show. He doesn't like Angel Sad My heart is broken.

I have noticed he does the whole "bangel speak" thing which I find irritating. But his video in IWRY was beautifully done and I think well respected Bangel especially with his personally identifying with that kind of relationship.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: