Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buffy Season 3: 20th Anniversary Rewatch Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonnaleah wrote:
Grace, who is Mark Field? Is he the guy that did the Mark watches thing a few years ago?

He is my Yoda. Hee. Mark is the author of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Myth, Metaphor and Morality" (now available in paperback! lol) He's a longtime Buffy fan who has written an essay about each episode of the series with his analysis. The essays were first published as blog posts here: http://unpaidsophistry.blogspot.com/. His book is Ian's main inspiration for the Passion of the Nerd video guides (at least on the BtVS side; Mark Field doesn't cover AtS).

He's a different Mark than the Mark Watches guy.

Thanks for the behind-the-scenes video for Helpless!
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3x14 Bad Girls
Written by Douglas Petrie
Directed by Michael Lange
Original air date: February 9, 1999

(I know, I should have used Buffy and Faith...but I love Wesley and Giles!)

Summary from BuffyGuide.com: "Buffy's new Watcher comes to town; Faith lures Buffy into her world of reckless abandon, with fatal results."

1. Overall thoughts on this episode?
2. How did you feel about the Buffy and Faith stuff?
3. The Mayor is back! Thoughts on his storyline?
4. What did you think of our introduction to Wesley and his dynamic with Giles?
5. Thoughts on Angel and B/A in this episode?
6. How about Willow and Buffy? Or any of the other characters?
7. Favorite lines/scenes?
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall thoughts on this episode? I'd like to start off with a super deep and meaningful comment, which is that Angel and Buffy are sooooooo hot in this episode. I always think they're both very attractive people, but they are just especially gorgeous here.

I had to psych myself up a little to watch this episode. I kind of didn't want to start the last big arc of Season 3, because then the very best seasons will be over!

I loved seeing the Mayor again and I got so excited when I saw Alexis Denisof's name in the credits.

How did you feel about the Buffy and Faith stuff? I know Buffy having another drowning experience (plus a new authority figure) is supposed to be what inspires her to live on the edge, but I'm not sure it comes across as clearly as they intended it. I wish they would have built up Buffy's flirting with the dark side a little more, because it kind of feels like it happens to make the episode work, not because it's really driven by the character/events.

The Mayor is back! Thoughts on his storyline? That moment with his to-do list at the end is truly inspired. I love it. I also enjoy how with one line ("I like to read Cathy"), Allan Finch manages to make me kinda love him before he dies.

The Balthazar/Mayor connection made me think of a fun head canon I read the other day -- probably in someone's LiveJournal comments on a meta from many years ago -- that the Mayor was responsible for that perfectly timed earthquake that trapped the Master in the Hellmouth back in the '30s. I have officially adopted it.

What did you think of our introduction to Wesley and his dynamic with Giles? I love Wesley so much, even if he is just the worst in this episode. That "It pooches your jacket" moment is hilarious, as is Giles and Wesley cleaning their glasses at the same time.

Thoughts on Angel and B/A in this episode? Lotsa hotness? I think I mentioned that already Smile

Angel is seriously cool in this episode. I had totally forgotten about that moment when he strides in all, "His name is Angel." (Compare that to the yikesness of, "I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys," uuuuugh.)

The scene in the Bronze is one of those I get conflicted about. Because Buffy jumping into his arms and her "Them? Boys. I like you" are sooo cute but he's all business. Now, I understand there's a lot going on here -- scorching hot PDA is not really OK under the new terms of B/A, given that it makes people nervous; Angel has to stay under control, so Buffy being even slightly out-of-control makes him extra uptight; and there really is, y'know, actual business to discuss. But I want to embrace the hotness, grr! Luckily, Angel makes up for it with that sweet I-know-you-didn't-get-the-reaction-you-wanted-but-I-still-adore-you-now-we-must-take-care-of-work-stuff kiss. Smile

How about Willow and Buffy? Or any of the other characters? Poor Willow is getting stuck in the fray-adjacent zone, even though she just helped save the world in the last episode. I felt bad for her.

Cordelia did *much* better (well, worse) on the insult front in this episode, with the comment about her dad having a job. This is the kind of thing I was talking about with The Zeppo. But of course Xander is back to calling Cordelia a hooker. Bring on the post-Zeppo disappointment.

Favorite lines/scenes?

"We can't save the world in jail" - I love this in light of Wes later breaking Faith out of prison to help with Angelus/The First.

Scripty whatnots:

Wesley's introduction is hilarious:
Quote:
INT. LIBRARY - DAY
Giles HAS looked better - he's uncomfortable, bored and a teeny bit hostile. He is, however, trying to be polite about it.
The reason for his attitude is speaking to him. Incessantly. He is WESLEY WYNDAM-PRYCE, watcher. Young, not bad looking but a bit full of himself. Thinks he's Sean Connery when he's pretty much George Lazenby.

I don't know that this comes across as strongly as what's written...

Quote:
Vincent holds her down just a little bit longer, just to make sure. The remaining vamps surround Faith. She's next. Vincent relaxes his grip, stands, is about to turn when…

Buffy WHIPS HER HEAD UP. Alive. Newly baptized. Eyes blazing a glint we've never seen before lighting her eyes. She's crazy. Grins.

She uppercuts Vincent, catching him clean under the jaw and lifting him a good two feet off the ground.

BUFFY
I hate it when they drown me.

Buffy grabs his sword from under the water. Lunges.

Faith grins at Buffy's transformation. She uses the distraction to kneecap one of the vamps holding her with a crisp sidekick. He goes down. She flips one who rushes her from behind. Clears an entrance. Palm-thrusts an onrushing vamp, sending nose cartilage straight into his brain.

Buffy's Errol Flynn. She fences Vincent, kills and oncoming vamp without breaking stride, keeps thrusting forward…

A little cut here:
Quote:
BUFFY
We'll talk.

GILES
Of course.

BUFFY
About the overdue book fees.

GILES
Should have returned them on time.

This was cut:
Quote:
Buffy climbs out the classroom window. Kids laugh and point, but go back to their tests.

WILLOW
Buffy! This is fifteen percent of the final grade, and that's…

Buffy's gone. Willow turns to Xander.

WILLOW
…apparently meaningless.

From the Bronze scene:
Quote:
He leads her to a table. They sit. Buffy tries to match his seriousness, but she can't help the playful smile that floats about her lips. He's just so CUTE!

(Isn't he, though?)

A couple of lines cut:
Quote:
The light show is over. Buffy, Angel, Giles and Wesley approach the demon's tank. A big white hand flops over the side, lifeless.
GILES
You killed him.
BUFFY
(quiet)
Yeah. Hooray for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: