Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buffy Needs an Equal, Not a Subordinate
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> B/A Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mylie
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

angelisbetter wrote:
Interesting... I had no idea what a gargoyle was, so that's what I learned today!

Hi, Grace! Thanks!! It was probably my focus on Angel that gave me away. You girls, for example, like Angel as much, or maybe less, than Buffy. I like Angel a lot more than Buffy so I feel like that's a dead giveaway. I make everything about him!

Well... I am guilty! But not by much, it's almost equal!!! I think Angel is one of the rare male characters that I really really care about. I have maybe 2 others that would make my top 10 favorite characters so that says a lot.
Grace Newman
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kairos wrote:
*hugs gargoyle* I shall name you Aberystwyth.

Yay! So happy that the old "post a pic of a gargoyle, mod appears" trick worked! Aberystwyth is also adorable. Next time, I'm going with the inaccurate animal fact method. Gotta test 'em all.

angelisbetter wrote:
It was probably my focus on Angel that gave me away. You girls, for example, like Angel as much, or maybe less, than Buffy. I like Angel a lot more than Buffy so I feel like that's a dead giveaway.

Yes, I was just telling dc yesterday that I would pick Buffy over Angel if forced to chose. But I am much more protective of Angel. People can criticize Buffy and it really doesn't bother me. But I take everything about Angel personally. Smile
dcai0830
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tumblr post has been hijacked by Spike apologists. Lame.
Mortal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it weird to like Angel a lot more than Buffy when it comes to shipping Bangel? It's curious that Bangel is my favorite ship for so many reasons: how happy it makes Angel, the interesting parallels, the overall complex writing, how it helped develop Angel's character, etc. but Buffy is honestly not even one of the main reasons I ship Bangel?

When you guys ship a couple, do you tend to like both halves? (Not that I don't like Buffy.). I ship Logan/Rory but I prefer Logan a lot more to Rory, despite loving her too. However, I ship Weslah and I love Wes and Lilah about the same, and I ship Trinity/Neo and Carrie/Hood and like the women a bit better...

Dunno... I was trying to notice a pattern there. Most of the time, I prefer one side of the couple to the other. And my appreciation of a ship tends to start because one of the character's stories benefits from it...

What about you guys? (Sorry, off topic...)
Grace Newman
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcai0830 wrote:
My tumblr post has been hijacked by Spike apologists. Lame.

Of course it has. Tumblr is the worst. Very Happy

angelisbetter wrote:
Is it weird to like Angel a lot more than Buffy when it comes to shipping Bangel?

I don't know about "a lot" more, but I don't think it's that unusual for B/A shippers to like Angel more. Just from the reading I've done, it seems like there have been plenty of fic writers over the years who were more inspired by exploring Angel's character than Buffy's, for example.

I'm not much of a shipper outside the Buffyverse, so I don't really have a personal pattern to look at. Buffy and Angel are my two favorite characters, and I think liking them both so much is what makes me ship them.
Mylie
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace Newman wrote:

Yes, I was just telling dc yesterday that I would pick Buffy over Angel if forced to chose. But I am much more protective of Angel. People can criticize Buffy and it really doesn't bother me. But I take everything about Angel personally. Smile

I'm exactly the same way!! I don't know if it's because of the amount of Angel bashing I've witnessed over the years or? I can't really explain it. I also have that with Dawn. Angel and Dawn are the 2 characters where I almost take it personal if they are attacked. I feel very protective of both. It might have to do with relating to them more than to Buffy, though some of the things Buffy goes through I relate a lot, just not with her personality like I do with Dawn and Angel.
dcai0830
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

angelisbetter wrote:
Is it weird to like Angel a lot more than Buffy when it comes to shipping Bangel? It's curious that Bangel is my favorite ship for so many reasons: how happy it makes Angel, the interesting parallels, the overall complex writing, how it helped develop Angel's character, etc. but Buffy is honestly not even one of the main reasons I ship Bangel?

When you guys ship a couple, do you tend to like both halves?

I don't think it's strange. You often identify with one character, feel so emotionally attached to him/her and want the best for him/her and you may feel another person out there is what makes them happy.

BUT --- and this is only the type of thing I can say here because its a gross generalization--- I really really believe that most people who ship Spuffy are more inclined to like Spike over Buffy. That is what I have come across generally. I think the ones who ship her with "whoever she wants" are those that really care for Buffy's character. If she feels happy with Riley or Angel or Spike then good for her. But some Spuffy fans want her with Spike because he is "the best thing for her" and I've heard things like that comment that Grace got on her fic like "if Buffy can't see what she has then screw her." If you like Buffy and you see her in absolute misery in s6 and then cold and sad in s7 why would you want her paired up with someone who doesn't make her happy? In the comics I can see it because he makes her happy but in the show, it's a hard sell.

Angel literally makes Buffy's face light up. I want Buffy to be happy AND I want Angel to be happy.

NOW - I get told ALL of the time that if I really liked Angel I would ship Cangel because Cordelia is the only one who made him happy. To which I just say... shut up. Buffy is literally Angel's perfect happiness. It's ridiculous. I'm reading a fic right now where Angel is so freaking over the moon content with Cordy and Buffy comes in and makes him miserable. Its so frustrating lol. (I have no clue why I'm still reading it...)

I am not a big shipper outside of Buffy and Angel... like literally not even in the Buffyverse do I feel very strongly about other ships. I sometimes LIKE other people together but I'm pretty fickle. I'm not sure what this says about me??

I felt pretty strongly about Meredith and Derek on Grey's years ago but Meredith was so mean to him sometimes. I didn't always like her, but I felt sympathetic towards her. I thought he was so patient with her and I think I liked him better. But I also knew that she made him happy so I wanted him with her.

I can't think of any other ships I cared about too much. But anyway - no I don't think it's weird. I just think we are all different.

I kinda love being here in this beautiful spuffy free zone **spins in circles***
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> B/A Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: