Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

COMICX "poll"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Comics Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: COMICX "poll" Reply with quote

Some of you actually like comics and comic book heroes or stories/movies stemming from them.

It may be hard to get used to, as there are little conventions in how they block a frame and use type to help a reader.

However, for those of you who follow Buffy and the Angel/Faith title:

What year was your favorite one? Eight through Twelve, probably the last?
What year was your least favorite? Eight through Twelve

I did this instead of the poll format so you might feel more comfortable in "hedging' or "explaining" your own comfort level with a new medium or whatever you feel is germane. For example, it really is wonderful to have the real stars 'in the flesh" showing and not the captured "stills" of comics that have to fit in tiny boxes, with flying thinky and talky bubbles. But they do show "action"--as does a painting and they aren't trying to make a 'photo' either, but to give a credibility to expression and POV.

Discuss various books or special editions (Joss actually wrote a good one, IMO)--and that's all you get for I have spoken on this and why, so I do promise to 'SHUT MY MOUTH' on any and all discussion of the comics because some of these people at Dark Horse work very hard to fit difficult ideas in very few pages and show a range of characters--the Jossverse is very rich and it is fun to see "revisits" as well as the strength of new characters and big bads, plus the action and the aftermath, if any.

For the non readers, you have to at least read a review if not the comic to be a little fairer in learning about a new world; or go and see the incredible covers that comic has posted all in a row, RIGHT HERE on the forum, for your enjoyment and ease at finding them. Come on, some are gorgeous or show a lot of pop culture, etc. Comic does a lot of work around here with precious little gratitude for keeping us informed and up to date! (And thanks, board mama for keeping this alive, despite the carping and bad smell I leave around here. hee hee).

So THANK YOU! I really do like going through the covers, and clicking on the connections to not have to "troll" sites I really don't want to visit, and YOU, comic, are the proof to show "the legs" of good work, (and appreciative fans) still are standing, no matter what winds blow (from me--snerk) right here at home.

Have fun!

HUGS!
sybil
dcai0830
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we haven't seen 12 come out so I can't comment on that (although I can guess it probably won't be my favorite). The best thing to come out of the Buffyverse comics IMO is Angel & Faith s9. I think its unfortunate that it came on the heels of having to clean up what s8 did but A&F s9 had Angel sounding more like himself for the first time.

Hell I even liked Spike in that season - not his solo comic because I didn't read that - but Spike in A&F s9. He felt very relatable like he realized that he had been super hyperfocused on Buffy and he needed to get his own life, his own friends, his own mission. Sucks because it turns out he doesn't. He goes back to Buffy in 10.

But Angel is repentant, funny, he tells Spike he is still not over Buffy, he thwarts Whistler's plans even when Whistler tells him it is the only way to save the world, he has a good arc with his son and realizes spending time with him and being a father to him isn't a bad/toxic thing. And he ends the season with the same realization he has in s2, that he wants to help people because one small act of kindess goes a long way.

My least favorite is BtVS s10. I skimmed alot of this season and there are chunks I just didn't read. I was bored, Buffy has never sounded less like herself to me that in this season. Too much Spuffy and it is all just over the top with the - let's get this relationship perfect, workt through all of our problems without much of a fuss, the way they handled the sexual assault was bad (that is an understatment), the way that Buffy handles her reveal of her and Spike's relationship to Angel seems a little cruel (with the bringing Spike in and holding his hand and smiling at him.) I just can't see my Buffy doing that. She would tell Angel sure but I can't see her revealing it like that.

Anyway - and then just Spike feels so vanilla. I was just bored out of my mind. I know we say this alot but really s10 did feel like I was reading a spuffy fan fiction.
Chosen One

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with dcai0830 that Angel & Faith Season 9 is the best comics season. (It's funny to say that now because when I first heard there was an Angel and Faith teamup in the comics, when I was still pretty new to the fandom, I was so upset because I thought for sure they had paired them romantically.)

I would say my least favorite is Buffy Season 9. I can't even remember most of it, except for that whole terrible robot abortion storyline and Billy the Vampire Slayer, which was a nice concept but way too Care Bears (h/t Kairos). Also, I loathed the way the Spike and Dawn stuff was handled.

Buffy Season 10 wasn't great either, but I liked the opening arc with Xander and Dracula, and I also enjoyed Xander and Dawn traveling through dimensions near the end.
Mylie
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace Newman wrote:
I agree with dcai0830 that Angel & Faith Season 9 is the best comics season. (It's funny to say that now because when I first heard there was an Angel and Faith teamup in the comics, when I was still pretty new to the fandom, I was so upset because I thought for sure they had paired them romantically.)

I would say my least favorite is Buffy Season 9. I can't even remember most of it, except for that whole terrible robot abortion storyline and Billy the Vampire Slayer, which was a nice concept but way too Care Bears (h/t Kairos). Also, I loathed the way the Spike and Dawn stuff was handled.

Buffy Season 10 wasn't great either, but I liked the opening arc with Xander and Dracula, and I also enjoyed Xander and Dawn traveling through dimensions near the end.

Same on both counts!

Honestly, I decided to power through the comics after the Twilight fiasco because Angel/Faith is my favorite friendship in the verse and I felt like I couldn't not read a comics series about them. Angel and Faith s9 reconciled me with the comics. I hate that I have to consider s8 canon for s9 to be canon but I'm already doing that with BtVS s7 and Chosen. I loved that the title focused on less characters. It was tighter and better structured. I felt like they were going somewhere and you could tell that Gage loved the characters. I also appreciated the many references to past episodes and seeing some familiar faces pop up.

s9 of BtVS is the one time I was more interested in the Angel side than the BtVS side. There's very little I enjoyed about that season. The only thing I can think of is Buffy's arc and dynamic with Kennedy in Guarded. The rest of the time, Buffy was incredibly purposeless and it felt like a rehash of s6 to me. It wasn't enjoyable to read at all.

I'm not in love with s10 but it has a very good beginning with New Rules. I remember being excited by that season and all the possibilities. And I really loved the crossover Old Demons. And I was glad that they finally found something fun and meaningful for Dawn to do, and something related to her mystical energy for once. I hated everything Spuffy though. I'm filled with rage just thinking about it.

Oh, I just remembered that Angel s11 exists... nevermind, that's my least favorite lol
Grace Newman
Chosen One

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I totally forgot that Angel S11 exists! Now that was a dumpster fire!
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Season 8.I loved the scope of the story and some of the wilder ideas.I also loved Angel & Faith Season 9 as much as season 8.

Angel Season 11.Thought it was terrible.I like some of the art but that was about it.What's funny is that the writer of Angel season 11 just wrote the Original Graphic Novel,Green Lantern Earth One which I love.Was just a bad fit with Angel combined with the mandates from Joss and Dark Horse.

Also disliked Buffy Season 9.Thought it was overall a boring season and Andrew Chambliss wasn't a good fit either.

I actually like Buffy Season 10 and 11 minus the spuffy.If you take out the spuffy especially season 11,I would love them.The spuffy brings those two seasons way way down.I really like Christos Gage as writer.I've enjoyed his Marvel stuff too especially his work on Spider-Man.Like I said,I love Angel & Faith Season 9.And if they hadn't gone the awful diection of spuffy in season 10 & 11,they would be great for me.The spuffy really hurts season 11 for me because the main story of the season I thought was a real winner.

That's my major concern with the upcoming season 12.No matter how good the main story of the season is(and I think it could rival season 8 IMO),If spuffy continues and especially if it's the end game since this is the last comic season,than it's going to bring it WAY down for me and even effect my enjoyment of the tv shows and ever wanting to go back and re-watch episodes.

Angel & Faith Season 10 was okay.Sort of middle of the road IMO.

I have to give Angel:After The Fall a honorable mention though.I loved it and thought that was a way better ending for ATS than Not Fade Away.I wish we had gotten that Angel Season 6 since After The Fall was based off those plans by Joss.
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, If I would have gone with what they intended, and not what they actually did, I might have liked these more, and for the astute reasons here;

And maybe that is my problem, I am letting the completely wrong choices ruin the entire series for me--you know, giving power to something that hurts me over and over for no worthy reason to the actual story that I do see was INTENDED. A complete reversal to the above sentence!

I actually "trusted the tale and not the teller," just as Joss had said. Which is why I took so much trouble to figure out if that "factoid" had any truth or validity in this story in its "bones." ANd Joss is right and I loved Joss back then, even if he got somethings "wrong" and even Sarah called him on it.

ANd that led me to symbols and myth and worlds of stories THIS story repeats and honors, but mostly the heroic journey of Odysseus, which is indeed rare as it had the "happily" after the after. Even if I knew three deaths would be required (we've had two for Buffy and for Angel) and the "happily" fulfilled might be the "next story."

I guess the fans of Spike liked only him and the rest of the world serves his story?

That demons are "just folk with problems" is clever, as internalizing the world is part of the process of "becoming" and I guess "icons" belong to another time/age (childhood), (as Joss IS an atheist), so season 12 is beyond my ability to--LALALALALA, fingers in ears, squinched eyes--right now to even consider as I am. This story of Buffy and of Angel and of the Scoobs, Giles, the fact adults were far and few between, even early Spike and Dru and all the others singularly shaped so much of my existence with really tough stuff "all around me," and gave me a world of beautiful people, including youse guys all!

Thanks! Thanks for holding true to what is true and doing the work to prove it!

HUGS!
sybil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Comics Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: