Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My B/A Fanvids

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Graphics and Art
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamlin
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: My B/A Fanvids Reply with quote

Current videos: Over You | Favourite Colour

I'll make this a general ~I'll share my vids here~ place but basically I'm starting this thread so that I can discuss a fanvid I have an idea for and hopefully get some ideas for the planning process. First I should probably mention that the laptop I use for editing needs to be repaired, and I don't when that will be, and then I have another vid that I want to finish up first. I probably wont even get to this vid until after I finish my rewatch so that I can make some notes along the way Smile

I'll set the stage by saying that I was rewatching this vid last night and I was thinking about what this would look like if the whole song was used. So, I listened to the song myself – Somebody to Die For by Hurts – and I thought, "Y'know, this song could work for just paralleling their heroic selves." I don't think I've ever seen a shippy-vid focusing on the characters involved as individuals, so I got myself intrigued by this idea lol

Here is a link to the lyrics.

There's a brief instrumental break at the beginning, so I'll have – probably just as voiceovers – Buffy's "Strong is fighting." speech as well as Angel's "I do know it's important to keep fighting. I learned that from you. (...) That's not why we fight. We do it 'cause there's things worth fighting for." speech as a way to establish their characters; I think it fits with the song well.

In general, there'd be lots of Dawn/Connor stuff; their bonds with the Scoobies and Angel Investigations; their roles as 'Big Damn Heroes'; their griefs and losses (just one example: Buffy on the phone hearing about Jenny's death vs. Angel hearing about Cordy's); similar action-y shots; their resurrections and consequent issues as well as Angel's ATS S2 arc vs. Buffy's S6 arc; etc.

Some lyrics that I already have ideas for:
    "I could drag you from the ocean" – Buffy drowning in 'Prophecy Girl' vs. Angel sinking to the ocean in 'Tomorrow'
    One of the "I don't need this life" lines – Buffy in 'Normal Again' vs. Angel in 'Birthday'
    "When I'm standing in the gallows" – Angel waiting for sunrise in 'Amends' vs. Buffy standing on the tower in 'Bargaining' (the set up of these scenes feels very similar with the positioning of Buffy and Dawn pleading with Angel and Buffy respectively)
    "I will look him in the eye, And I will let the devil know that" – Buffy face-to-face with The First when it's wearing her body in 'Chosen' vs. Angel face-to-face with Angelus in 'Orpheus'
    "I was brave enough to die" – Buffy sacrificing herself in 'The Gift' vs. Angel willing to sacrifice himself for Darla in 'The Trial'

So I guess what I'm asking for are your thoughts on this, if there's anything you'd in particular you'd like me to include, or just any ideas you have for certain lyrics
Grace Newman
Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love love love your vids so much, jamlin!

I don't want the silence here to indicate a lack of enthusiasm. I just haven't really thought of anything that seems particularly good.

One thought I did have is that for this section of the lyrics:
And there's no hell that he can show me
That's deeper than my pride

It might work to use Angel in 'Beauty and the Beasts' and Buffy in 'Anne.'

Also, for some reason this song makes me think of Buffy and Dawn crawling out of the grave in Grave. It would be cool to find an Angel and Connor moment to parallel with that.
dcai0830
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started looking at the lyrics and then got distracted! Darn my ADD. Some thoughts:

"And I could give you my devotion
Until the end of time"
(I know you're going for parallels less shippy but it seems like from Angel's perspective any way you could do the initial cross necklace scene as the beginning of his devotion to helping Buffy's cause/parallel with the EoD/Chosen amulet necklace scene both are signs of devotion to the cause)

But when I'm standing in the gallows
I'll be staring at the sky
(Buffy in the Gift when standing at the platform would work here too... as she looks out before jumping)
(Angel looking out at the sunset before smashing the Ring of Amara - not a perfect parallel but the imagery works)
Because no matter where they take me
Death I will survive
(Angel falling on his knees in Beauty and the Beasts comes to mind here/Buffy in Bargaining - or when she is talking to Spike about heaven - editing to leave out Spike obviously)

Don't go gentle into that good night (Angel in the NFA battle as the rain comes down and when he says Let's go to work)
Rage on against the dying light (Buffy in the post Chosen battle smiling)

If you wanted to give the vid a slightly more shippy feel every time the lyrics say "with you by my side" you could show a clip of them together.

"And you will never be forgotten
With me by your side"
(There are two the first could be Forever the second could be Chosen)

And then the final lyric is a little different it's
"Cause I will never be forgotten
Forever I'll fight"
(This one could also work well for the final battles, Angel slashing his sword in the final NFA scene/Buffy swinging her Scythe in the Chosen battle with the Turkey Khans)

I can't wait to see your vid!
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've neglected to check here so I'm late to say this, but thank you so much for your input! Shippy parallels could be worked into the vid as well, no worries.

Finally I have finished this "All I Want" video, and now I can move onto other things Very Happy I'm really happy with how this turned out, so I hope everyone else enjoys it!

NEW VID: buffy & angel | all i want
Grace Newman
Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This video is lovely and everyone should watch it!
dcai0830
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So good Jam! The coloring is amazing. I like the transitions with the black/white fade out/ blurry. You have some mad skillz and I am in awe! Thank you for sharing Smile
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, thank you! I can't take credit for colouring but I think it's loooovely. I did some experimenting with transitions throughout this, so I'm glad you liked them/even noticed them Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Graphics and Art All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: