Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buffy Season 12 News:Article On End Of Buffy DH Comics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Comics Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priceless brought this over to Buffyforums.

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?20765-Season-12-Announced!&p=723417#post723417

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but a French site, Slayer Revival are saying (google translated )

At the level of history, this season 12 resumes after the end of the events of season 11 where it is stated that the gang spent a year in calm, far from the forces of evil. And yet, when Xander and Dawn are having a little homecoming party, familiar faces knock on the door, forcing Buffy and her friends to regain service. Faced with a horde of vampires, Wolfram & Hart and a future vampire called Harth, Buffy will find herself trapped in a temporal rift that could put an end to the Slayer line.

The 'trapped in a temporal rift' wasn't in the original CBR post. Sorry if I'm repeating old information, but I don't remember this.

The temporal rift part is new I believe.I don't remember that.
Grace Newman
Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it might just be the translation. The original said "time warp."

Initial announcement: Following the world-altering finale of Season 11, Buffy and the Scoobies have had a laid-back year in the saving-the-world department. But as they've learned over their years of fighting the forces of darkness and thwarting many an apocalypse, nothing stays quiet for long. When Dawn and Xander's housewarming party is crashed by some familiar faces with news of an amassing force that must be reckoned with—Wolfram & Hart, a legion of demons, and Harth, a vampire from the future—Buffy finds herself in a time warp that could alter the fate of the world and could spell the end for Buffy, her friends, and the Slayers, forever.

This action-packed miniseries reunites the Buffyverse with the return of Angel, Faith, Illyria, and Fray, the Slayer from the future!

ETA: Link https://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/2662/joss-whedon-and-christos-gage-bring-reckoning-buff
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right,that may be just a translation thing.
Grace Newman
Chosen One

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote:
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think it has to be Fray-related. Plus, I really think they want to keep the comics vague in terms of exactly how old Buffy and the gang are.

Hey! I was wrong again.

I have terrible fear of a looming Spuffy kids talk.
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another tweet from Editor's Note Comics about Buffy S12 # 1

https://mobile.twitter.com/EdsNoteComics/status/1004743640789536769?p=v

Editor's Note Comics

The issue out this month gives her age. No, it doesn't work with pop culture stuff. But I'll just assume things in that universe happened quicker than in our own.

8:15 AM - 7 Jun 2018

Might just mean the whole leisurely way comic book time works.You see this all the time with DC and Marvel.For example,Buffy Season 8 started a year and half after "Chosen" but the comics reflected newer more recent pop culture.

ETA

Just beat me to it. Smile
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Cristos Gage interview for Buffy Season 12..

https://www.previewsworld.com/Article/211447-Buffys-Reckoning-In-Season-12

Buffy's Reckoning In Season 12

Jun 13, 2018

by Vince Brusio

The time for rest and relaxation is over, as Christos Gage hops on board to co-write with Joss Whedon Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 12: The Reckoning #1 (APR180011) for Dark Horse Comics. In this PREVIEWSworld Exclusive interview, Gage explains that he and Whedon are about to write some impossible stuff. Earth-shattering apocalyptic stuff. It may just give the artists migraines. So grab some Tylenol, and read on, fiends!

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 12: The Reckoning #1 (APR180011) is in comic shops June 20.

Vince Brusio: Season 12 takes place a year after we last saw Buffy and the Scoobies battling a big bad. It sounds like they had the opportunity to take a break. What did that down time look like? Have they had a chance to reflect on what they do, and if it’s still worth doing?

Christos Gage: Things have progressed in their lives, in different ways for each character. Without an apocalypse or Big Bad attacking, they've had a chance to spend more time thinking about what they want their future to look like. Some of the changes are bigger than others...for instance, SOMEONE'S got a baby! We see Buffy holding it right on the cover. Is it hers? Dawn and Xander's? Willow's? Harmony and Clem's? Okay, probably not that last one.

Vince Brusio: In this first issue, we’re said to expect the return of Fray. What’s the special occasion? How is this indicative of where the story will take us in Season 12?

Christos Gage: We're finally dealing head-on with something referred to as ancient history in the future-set Fray comic Joss wrote a few years back, which leads to the end of Slayers for two hundred years. It's this huge battle against the massed forces of evil...and it will affect not only our time but Fray's future time period as well.

Vince Brusio: “The Reckoning” is being touted as “the culmination of all the Buffy seasons.” That is one tall order, to say the least. Can you give us a heads-up on how such a massive feat will be executed?

Christos Gage: Well, Joss and I got together and talked about what we wanted to accomplish, and there was general agreement that Fray's world has been set up like this almost "Days of Future Past"/Ragnarok type future that the Buffyverse was headed towards, springing out of a huge apocalyptic battle that led to all Slayers and most supernatural creatures being banished from Earth. So we figured that to NEVER show that or address it was kind of a cop-out. Plus something that huge was a great reason to get all the characters together. As to how it will be executed, we'll write impossible stuff, and Georges Jeanty and Karl Story and the rest of our amazing team will somehow make it real.

Vince Brusio: If you could geek out over a particular scene in issue #1, what would it be? Why does this scene strike you as special?

Christos Gage: Gotta go with Buffy and the baby. Whose baby is it? What does it mean to Buffy and her life? And everybody else's? You'll have to wait and see.
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the covers for Buffy Season 12:The Reckoning # 4.

http://buffythecomicslayer.tumblr.com/post/174903121751/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-season-12-the-reckoning

comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Christos Gage & Georges Jeanty Interview.

http://www.comicon.com/2018/06/19/is-this-the-end-for-the-slayers-christos-gage-georges-jeanty-talk-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-the-reckoning/

Is This The End For The Slayers? Christos Gage & Georges Jeanty Talk Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Reckoning

by Hannah Means Shannon

Coming up this week on June 20th, Buffy the Vampire Slayer hits a major milestone when Season 12 kicks off in Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Reckoning #1 (of 4) from Dark Horse Comics. The series sees Joss Whedon return to writing duties alongside Christos Gage, Georges Jeanty powering through epic scenes in the art department with a decade of Buffyverse experience at work on pencils, and Karl Story bringing on the inks, with Dan Jackson on colors.

What makes this story particularly poignant and might leave readers with a hint of apprehension going into the tale is that this could be an equal or bigger “event” in the Buffyverse than even the finale to Season 8. Set about a year after Season 11, “The Reckoning” catches up with the gang as they’re about to face off against a new hoard of foes including Wolfram & Hart, a legion of demons, and Harth, a vampire from the future. Wait, the future? That’s right. They’re also going to be joined by Angel, Faith, Illyria, and Fray, a Slayer from the future. Fray brings some heavy tidings. The events that are about to play out, known as “The Reckoning”, spelled the end of Buffy and all the Slayers in her timeline. What could possibly avert a future already written?

Christos Gage and Georges Jeanty join us today to really dig into the workings of Season 12, and how they handled the emotions, as well as the challenges, of crafting “The Reckoning”.

Hannah Means-Shannon: Christos, how is your writing process different on this epic season with the return of Joss to more direct work on the series? How does your experience of developing the story change and what do you find fun about collaboration in writing?

Christos Gage: It hasn’t been hugely different, but there are differences. The traditional pre-season summit where we create a one-day writer’s room to figure out the big beats of the season usually included whoever could make it from the Whedon inner circle, like Jane Espenson, Drew Greenberg or Andrew Chambliss. But this time it was just me and Joss. We probably focused a bit more on specifics than usual (facilitated by the fact that it was only four issues), including key bits of dialogue.

From there, I write the first draft of each script, then kick it over to Joss for any changes he wants to make. I’ve always loved collaborating…I co-write with my wife on virtually all my screenwriting work, and I’ve worked with other writers, like Dan Slott, in comics. In TV, of course, you’re always collaborating…that’s what the writers’ room is. The great thing about collaborating is that you have other brains working on the story, solving problems and coming up with great stuff…and bouncing off each other to come up with things you never would have alone. Working alone is fine too, it’s just a more solitary experience and you never know if you’re totally off the rails until someone else reads it.

HMS: At this point, has your view of Buffy as a character changed over time as she, in turn, changes through new experiences and adventures? If you had to describe her mentality and perspective in “The Reckoning”, what would that entail?

CG: People change, and Buffy has too, though who she is at her core has always stayed basically the same. It’s been a year since our last series, a year of relative quiet in terms of demon apocalypses. In the sliding timeline of the comics, Buffy is thirty years old. As a lot of us do at that age (because Buffy has always been about life stages many of us go through, with a supernatural spin) she is taking stock of her life and evaluating where she wants to go from here. For a long time, I think she was just trying to survive from one moment to the next, but now she’s coming to grips with the fact that she might be around a while and evaluating what she wants that to be like. Then, of course, she comes face to face with the knowledge of the Reckoning – which to Fray, the Slayer from the future, is ancient history – a big battle in which Buffy disappeared forever, and all the Slayers with her. I’m deliberately being a bit vague because I don’t want to give anything away, but her perspective on the relationships with the people she cares about is front and center throughout all of this.

HMS: Working with so many characters, and on an even more action-packed scale than usual, what challenges did you face putting this series together, and how did you resolve them? (If that’s not too spoilery a question!)

CG: The biggest challenge was finding room to do all the things we had in mind, which sometimes meant we had to cut bits we would’ve liked to do, and other times left it in and hoped Georges didn’t hunt us down and kill us! Poor Georges. The fact that we know how brilliant he is made us be very mean to him…casts of thousands on every page…and he’s doing an amazing job with it, of course. At the end of the day, though, it was about the characters, so when there was a choice between big action spectacle and an important character beat, the character beat won out, and I think that was the right choice. Besides, we’ll never top the cosmic scale of Season 8, and we didn’t even want to try. The epic scale of this particular series is because of what it means for the characters…they’re up against a moment that history already says will happen, when Buffy and all Slayers will disappear forever! We’ll get into what that means for all of them and how they choose to confront it.

HMS: Georges, do you feel that your art style working in the Buffyverse has evolved over time? If so, what changes do you think have come about in your approach to characters and art methods?

Georges Jeanty: I have been involved with the Buffyverse since 2007 going back to Season 8, and given that much time I would think any artist worth his salt would grow and mature artistically. I look at a lot of season 8 and cringe thinking how much better I could do it today, 10 years later. But that is a sign of growth. I wish that extended to the character likeness. I still struggle to this day on some of those characters. Drawing Buffy herself has gotten a lot easier, I will say. My approach with these characters is the same. I always try and draw an issue as if it were an episode from the show. A lot of the ‘directing ‘. I try and have it infused with how the show was filmed, only with a bigger budget

HMS: When working with a number of characters at once, and really focusing in on action scenes, do you have any strategies for making sure readers can follow all the beats easily while keeping the pace up?

GJ: This is always a difficult thing for me because there are so many characters. I remember talking to George Perez one year because he’s always been well-known for drawing books with multiple characters in them. He said he would write down all the characters that were supposed to be on the page, or in that scene, and then check them off as he would draw them. Now, at any given time, I’m not drawing as many characters as George, but I have written the names of the characters in the page gutters if it starts getting to 8 or 10 characters on a page, and I want to make sure I’m not leaving anyone out. I try and have everyone wear something different, so the reader can follow, if not the character likeness, then what he or she is wearing. Some cases are no-brainers like Spike’s leather trench coat, but then that can get confusing when Angel is also wearing a leather jacket and it’s a scene from afar. Keeping the pace up is all about storytelling. That holds true regardless of the subject matter. As a storyteller, it is paramount that I focus on keeping the reader engaged and make the action easy to follow.

HMS: Can you tease what have been some of your favorite elements to draw in “The Reckoning” in a non-spoilery way? A particular character or moment?

GJ: Some of my favorite moments of Season 12, which I was totally unprepared for, were the scenes in the future with Fray. I’m a huge sci-fi fan and I seldom get to draw future-scapes, so it was a blast to make up elements I thought would survive the future. While I struggled with drawing all the characters, it was also sentimental to have all the characters that I’ve drawn at one time or another for the last 10 years come back for the final round. I’m always a sucker for the character moments and while they’re brief this time around, there are many.

HMS: What do you guys think reader reaction is going to be like for “The Reckoning”? How might the outcome of this series effect the Buffyverse as a whole?

Christos Gage: I have no idea, I just hope they like it. I know there will be things that make some people furious, and hopefully other things people will like. As for how the outcome will affect the Buffyverse, that’s why we make the books…you gotta read ‘em to find out!

Georges Jeanty: I’m not sure what reader reaction will be this time around. With previous seasons, it was always a given that something was going to happen and it might have been something you don’t like, but at least there was going to be another season, but this time things are coming to an end and we all know with Joss, when things are coming to an end, no one is safe.

Truth be told, I’m a little frightened…

HMS: What do you find continues to make this world and these characters so appealing to work with?

CG: The characters themselves. How memorable they are and how real they feel. Even the supporting characters…I could write Harmony and Clem all day. The world is awesome, but it’s the characters that make it live. Also, how much the readers care about it. I’ve been approached a lot at cons by parents who watched the show growing up and now share it with their teenage kids, and that’s really moving to see.

GJ: One word. Heart. There is so much heart with this series in general that I feel when people read an issue or watch an episode they are already being fueled with a huge helping of heart. Even if you’ve been away from this world for a while. As soon as you read something in the Buffyverse all that heart comes racing back and puts you in that mood you are when you first fell in love with this series. These characters are so distinctive and familiar that it’s impossible not to associate with them. And regardless, if you stick around long enough this world creeps under your skin and ends up touching your… heart.

Thanks to Christos Gage and Georges Jeanty for taking part in this epic interview that’s only fitting for Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Reckoning, which arrives for #1 in shops on Wednesday, June 20th!
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solicitation for Buffy S12 # 4.We got the covers last week.

https://www.cbr.com/dark-horse-septe...uffy-predator/

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 12: The Reckoning #4 (of 4)

Christos Gage (W), Joss Whedon (W), Georges Jeanty (P/Variant cover), Karl Story (I), Dan Jackson (C), Stephanie Hans (Cover), and Steve Morris (Ultra variant cover)

On sale Sept 19
FC, 32 pages • $3.99 • Miniseries

Buffy, Fray, the Scoobies, and the Slayers are in an epic battle against Harth, and his army of baddies. His attempt to steal the power of the Slayers has brought Buffy and her crew to the turning point that they have been trying desperately to avoid. With all other options spent, it is only Buffy and her sacrifice that can save the world . . .
The entire Buffyverse is united here in the culmination of all Buffy seasons!
The return of Fray!
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christos Gage is finished season 12.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DMN1984/status/1010272007928369153?p=v

Diana
@DMN1984
@Christosgage Have you finished writing issues #2-4 of BTVS? Or are you still in the process of writing/editing etc?

2:23 PM - 22 Jun 2018

Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @DMN1984

Finished! Except for lettering correx on 3 and 4.

comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Horse has lost the rights to Serenity/Firefly.BOOM! Studios will produce the comics now.

http://ew.com/books/2018/07/02/new-firefly-comic-unification-war-greg-pak/

New Firefly comic will tell the story of the Unification War

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fewedit.files.wordpress.com%2F2018%2F07%2Ffirefly_legacy_v1_sc_simon.jpg

Christian Holub
July 02, 2018

Firefly fans are about to get some very interesting answers to long-standing questions. The short-lived space western series only lasted one season on Fox back in 2002. Although interest in the show only grew after its cancellation, leading to the 2005 movie sequel Serenity, there’s still an element of tragedy to how much storytelling potential was left unused by taking the show off the air so quickly.

Over the course of 14 episodes, creator Joss Whedon and the rest of the creative team dreamed up a universe where humankind had taken to the stars but still didn’t distribute its resources evenly. This led to tensions between the wealthy central planets and hardscrabble outlying systems where people struggled as hard as they did back in the Old West. Those tensions came to a head in the Unification War, the devastating conflict briefly glimpsed in the opening moments of Firefly‘s pilot but rarely discussed otherwise other than as a source of lingering trauma for the main characters.

But now, a new Firefly comic will finally explore the Unification War and what characters like Mal and Zoe experienced during those battles.

Firefly‘s rich potential of unexplored mythology has produced several spin-off comics already. Miniseries like The Shepherd’s Tale explored the hidden backstory of characters like Shepherd Book, while No Power in the ‘Verse followed the Serenity crew through new adventures after the film’s conclusion. Now that publishing rights have shifted to Boom! Studios, a new ongoing Firefly comic is launching this November from writer Greg Pak and artist Dan McDaid, and will explore the characters’ war-haunted past as it comes back to bite them in the present. Pak wrote the epic Planet Hulk comic that provided much of the basis for last year’s Thor: Ragnarok, so he’s well-acquainted with complex sci-fi stories.

“It’s high time we got to see the full story of Mal and Zoe’s meeting and mission in the War of Unification — the good and bad that the pressure of war brings out in them, and the unforeseeable consequences,” Whedon, who serves as a story consultant on the new series, said in a statement.

Mal Reynolds (played by Nathan Fillion in the original series) always saw the space-faring life as an escape from his past battles, but the new series will find him and his loyal second-in-command Zoe (originally played by Gina Torres) hunted by Unificators, mercenaries deputized to hunt down war criminals.

“Firefly spoke to so many people at the time because of the themes it dealt with and the way it allowed characters to deal with them, and those themes are even more relevant today: found family, identity, and the emotional toll of resistance, to name a few,” Boom! editor Jeanine Schaefer tells EW. “Our job is to craft stories that will be exciting and rewarding for Firefly fans that have been with these characters from the beginning, but also to introduce it to a new audience. We want to cement Firefly as a pop-culture touchstone, enduring yet modern, in the tradition of other perennial sci-fi epics that are still teaching us about ourselves.”

EW caught up with Pak to ask him about his plans for the series and the things he’s most looking forward to about exploring the Firefly world. Check that out below, along with exclusive promotional art for Firefly #1 and for Firefly: Legacy Edition, Book One, which will collect previously published Firefly comics.

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fewedit.files.wordpress.com%2F2018%2F07%2Ffirefly_001_main_promo.jpg

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fewedit.files.wordpress.com%2F2018%2F07%2Ffirefly_001_variant_promo.jpg

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: This is the first Firefly comic at Boom!, following a bunch at Dark Horse over the last decade or so. How is yours going to be different from and/or similar to the ones that came before?
GREG PAK: It’s a huge tribute to the creators of the original show that their rich, intriguing world and hilarious, compelling characters could inspire so many additional stories. We’ve gotten the incredible go-ahead to do something particularly special in this new series — we’re digging deep into the Unification War, the galaxy-shattering event that shaped so many of our central characters. Many of the show’s central themes revolve around the way everyday people handle the threat of tyranny, the trauma of war, and the danger of falling into villainy when resisting a world run by villains. We’re getting the chance to reveal essential truths about our heroes’ pasts and put them through experiences in the here and now that they’ve never fully dealt with before. As a fan of the show who adores these characters, I can’t wait.

One of the things that has always bummed me out most about Firefly’s early cancellation is how much detail Joss and the other writers were able to build into this world just in the course of those dozen episodes. How will you continue to build on the world they created? What are you looking forward to exploring with the Unification War?
One of the things I love about the show is how much is implied about the world but not fully explained or explored. In the very best kind of way, those fourteen episodes always felt like the first season of what shoulda/woulda/coulda been a 10-season show, meaning they brilliantly took the time and care to layer in plenty of mysteries and curiosities for later exploration. And I think that’s why the show’s been so great for follow-up comics: There’s so much room to tell new stories that deepen the world and the characters in genuinely significant ways.

Our story will reveal key experiences for Mal and Zoe during the Unification War that you’ve never seen before. And we’ll introduce entirely new corners of the star system with characters, organizations, and subcultures that are absolutely true to all the world-building you know but absolutely brand-new at the same time.

Who are your favorite characters? Who are you most looking forward to writing?
Oh, I love them all. On an emotional level, we’re probably going to dig the deepest with Zoe and Mal in this story. But it’s funny — when I think about writing this book, I never have just one or two characters in my head. Every time a scenario starts to form, I get excited about the interactions and dynamics of all of the principal characters. That’s the glory of the work of Joss Whedon, his creative team, and the amazing actors. They created a tremendous cast of characters with infinitely compelling and entertaining voices and relationships. The way these different characters react to situations and each other is always the most essential thing in every Firefly story. So they’re all my fave, and I can’t wait to see them drive each other crazy in the story we’re putting together.

This isn’t quite Firefly-related, but I’m dying to know: What was it like seeing your amazing Planet Hulk saga transform into the equally amazing but very different Thor: Ragnarok?
I loved it! Of course Ragnarok was absolutely its own thing with its own vibe, but I loved that vibe. I’m a total sucker for big humor and big heart side by side in genre stories. Of course, someday I’d love to see (and write!) an epic Planet Hulk story for the big or small screen that’s a more straight adaptation of the original. But I loved loved loved Ragnarok, especially the way Korg’s essential nature as the rock man with a heart of gold shone through in every scene.

https://www.newsarama.com/40642-joss-whedon-s-firefly-jumps-to-boom-studios.html

Joss Whedon's FIREFLY Jumps to BOOM! STUDIOS

By Chris Arrant, Editor July 2, 2018

https://img.purch.com/o/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMzEvMTMxL2kwMi9maXJlZmx5X2Nhc3RfcmV1bml0aW5nX2Zvcl9maXJlZmx5X29ubGluZV9oZXJlc193aGF0X3RoZXlfbG9va19saWtlX25vdy4wLmpwZWc=

Joss Whedon's Firefly franchise has a new home: BOOM! Studios. First reported by Entertainment Weekly, BOOM! Studios has taken over the Firefly license from Dark Horse - which had held the license since 2005.

“It’s high time we got to see the full story of Mal and Zoe’s meeting and mission in the War of Unification — the good and bad that the pressure of war brings out in them, and the unforeseeable consequences,” said Whedon, who will act as a story consultant for BOOM!'s Firefly.

Writer Greg Pak and artist Dan McDaid are working on the new series, which according to the Hollywood trade will "finally explore the Unification War" and the experience of Serenity crewmembers such as Mal and Zoe during that time.

“Firefly spoke to so many people at the time because of the themes it dealt with and the way it allowed characters to deal with them, and those themes are even more relevant today: found family, identity, and the emotional toll of resistance, to name a few,” BOOM! editor Jeanine Schaefer said. “Our job is to craft stories that will be exciting and rewarding for Firefly fans that have been with these characters from the beginning, but also to introduce it to a new audience. We want to cement Firefly as a pop-culture touchstone, enduring yet modern, in the tradition of other perennial sci-fi epics that are still teaching us about ourselves.”

In addition to the new series, BOOM! plans to reprint various Firefly titles from the franchise's Dark Horse run.

Firefly #1 is scheduled to launch in November.

ETA

New Firefly Comic Will Tell the Story of the Unification War

The most famous, yet largely unexplored, era in Firefly mythology will be at the center of a new comic by Greg Pak and Dan McDaid.

https://www.cbr.com/firefly-comic-unification-war/

It might not mean anything for Buffy or it could be why season 12 is the last season.I was under the impression Dark Horse would still be producing occasional Buffyverse comics.Around the time of te initial season 12 annoucment,Dark Horse said more news was coming on the future of the Buffyverse comics.I was thinking may at SDCC.But maybe they are about to lose those rights too?
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dexter Vines posted some artwork for a upcoming issue of season 12.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlLCdDxHNT5/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1gygp9zco76uw

comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From A New Joss Whedon Interview with IGN.The first part is about the Dr.Horrible comic.The second part is about Buffy.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07/21/joss-whedon-talks-unexpected-dr-horrible-alliance-ending-buffys-story-again-comic-con-2018

Here's the Buffy part.

Conversation switched to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, a franchise that is coming to an end at Dark Horse before moving over to BOOM! Studios. Before the change of the publisher guard, the story that started in Buffy Season 8 will find its thematic conclusion in the pages of Buffy Season 12.

“We have to go back to where we started in season eight, and make sure that we made something that is one holistic being,” Whedon said. “This doesn’t exactly mirror that, but is an answer to the question we asked, at least about that period of their lives. But then [Dark Horse was] like, that’s great! You have four issues to do that in. Luckily Chris Gage and I sat down and plotted out, and he’s been doing the scripts, and he’s been a phenomenal writer this whole time for the book. He’s just crushed it. Which tonally and structurally, it’s not an easy thing to do.”

Buffy is also celebrating a landmark anniversary, its 20th to be exact, and Whedon had a lot to say about the legacy the show left behind.

“The thing that I take away the most is the ending, is getting to make the statement that I have always wanted to make, because I write about these bigger than life characters. And that’s just how I roll, I can’t help it. But I struggle with it, because I feel like there is a fascistic underpin to the superhero story of, I am a superior man, and only I can fix it. And I struggle with that. And with Buffy, took the idea of the Chosen One and said, every women in the world deserves to be that. And can share in that power. Honestly, there is no other way that I would have wanted to have ended that, there is no other statement I wanted to go out on. And that’s the thing that I feel like, because it’s the last thing that you take away with it, is that every woman watching it can go, I got a piece of that. Like, that’s in me.”

As for Buffy’s future, news broke that the show will be returning with a new slayer.

So like with Firefly,Dark Horse is losing the rights to Buffy and they are going to BOOM! Studios and that's why season 12 is the final season and only four issuies.It's also why Dark Horse has been so quite on Buffy's comic future.
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New season 12 art from Georges Jeanty.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlnQAv6nPp9/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=nmrhyldybi1e
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some tweets From Christos Gage and Dark Horse about Season 12 in relation to the new reboot tv series.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Voldemorgoth/status/1020502978841673728?p=v

Michael
@Voldemorgoth

Buffy S12 #2 was quite epic. Finally a lot of the lore about the final battle is laid out. But much of it also felt like mere exposition & set up for the actual battle and I missed relationship interactions between the characters. And god do I miss @rebekahisaacs ! @Christosgage

Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @Voldemorgoth @rebekahisaacs

I always miss Rebekah (and Megan) but I am thrilled to have Georges, he rules. The exposition is on me. I am a wordy mofo. Georges is sending in issue 4 pages now and they are stunning. Tell me what you think about #4!

Michael
@Voldemorgoth Replying to @Christosgage @rebekahisaacs

I am curious. You said the exposition stuff was on you. But arent't you co-writing with Joss ? How much of it does he write and how much do you write ? or are each of you writing specific issues ? Or is Joss only being showrunner and you are scriptwriter ?

Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @Voldemorgoth @rebekahisaacs

We wrote the story together but I wrote the actual scripts. It is a lot like he is the showrunner and I am the episode writer.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sparks_smxth/status/1021503621471633410?p=v

Sparky 💥
Sparky 💥
@sparks_smxth Replying to @DarkHorseComics @Christosgage and 3 others

Does this season have anything to do with the reboot we’ve heard about all week? Or are they completely separate deals?

2:13 PM - 23 Jul 2018

Christos Gage Christos Gage
@Christosgage
Jul 23

Replying to @sparks_smxth @DarkHorseComics and 3 others
Separate

Dark Horse Comics
@DarkHorseComics Replying to @Christosgage @sparks_smxth and 3 others

^ As Christos says, they are separate. These seasons of comics are the official continuation of the original Buffy TV series. 12 is the final season in the "season" format.

There's new article about the new Buffy tv series. The showrunner confirms that this isn't a hard reboot with new actors in the roles(so no re-casting of Buffy,Angel,Xander,Willow Spike etc).The new series will follow a brand new character as the slayer.It sounds like a legacy sequel/revival rather than a hard reboot.The interview is in the reboot thread too.

Buffy Reboot Will Follow New Slayer, Showrunner Confirms

Buffy Reboot Will Follow New Slayer, Showrunner Confirms
The black actress lead will be a new Slayer character

By Grant Hermanns ON July 26, 2018

Buffy reboot will follow new slayer, showrunner confirms

It was officially announced last week that the hit WB series Buffy the Vampire Slayer is getting the reboot treatment at Fox with a black actress leading the series! Fan reaction as mixed at first as it was initially seen as though Sarah Michelle Gellar’s portrayal would be replaced. However, new showrunner Monica Owusu-Breen (Alias) has just confirmed that the new series will not be replacing Gellar in the titular role, but rather will focus on a new slayer.

“For some genre writers it’s Star Wars. Buffy the Vampire Slayer is my Star Wars,” Owusu-Breen wrote in a tweet. “Before I became a writer, I was a fan. For seven seasons, I watched Buffy Summers grow up, find love, kill that love. I watched her fight and struggle and slay. There is only ONE Buffy. One Xander, one Willow, Giles, Cordelia, Oz, Tara, Kendra, Faith, Spike, Angel…They can’t be replaced. Joss Whedon’s brilliant and beautiful series can’t be replicated. I wouldn’t try to. But here we are, twenty years later…And the world seems a lot scarier. So maybe, it could be time to meet a new Slayer…And that’s all I can say.”

Owusu-Breen’s previous credits in the TV world include the J.J. Abrams espionage thriller Alias, mystery-drama Lost and sci-fi drama Fringe, as well as the ABC drama Brothers & Sisters and Marvel series Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. The reboot’s network is currently unknown, given that the original series ran on The WB and UPN, both of which are now defunct, and that the rights to the franchise are owned by 20th Century Fox.

A follow-up to the Whedon-penned Buffy the Vampire Slayer feature film, the Buffy TV series ran from 1997 to 2003 for seven seasons. The series starred Sarah Michelle Gellar in the title role alongside Alyson Hannigan, Nicholas Brendon, Charisma Carpenter, Anthony Stewart Head, David Boreanaz, Seth Green, James Marsters, Emma Caulfield, Michelle Trachtenberg, Amber Benson, and Kristine Sutherland. Since its conclusion, the series has continued in comic book form, with some of the characters continuing their journey in the Angel spin-off series. There was previously a feature film reboot of the property in development at Warner Bros., but it failed to materialize.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Comics Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: