Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buffy Reboot
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taaroko
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's frustrating how Angel and Buffy/Angel have been handled in the comics compared to Spike and Spuffy, but this show isn't about any of those characters. Why does it matter that Joss prefers Spike over Angel if neither will be in the new show and Joss won't be running it anyway? Are you worried it will treat the comics as canon? (If it does, I'll be very annoyed, but I seriously doubt that it will. The priority will be winning over a new audience, and you don't do that by implying that there are several years' worth of comics you have to catch up on to understand what's going on. I expect it will be designed to function on its own, but that anyone who has seen the first two shows will be able to enjoy it even more.)

I'm excited for this new series because it's more of the TV Buffyverse, which was so great because it had interesting lore and well-developed characters. There is room in my heart for new well-developed characters and their stories. There's no reason the new show can't draw from things established by either existing series, because they're already in the same continuity together. I'm not sure I understand this feeling you have that Angel will be snubbed. I've always thought of the two shows as just two branches of the same thing, not really separate (as hard as the two networks tried to make them so). Without any of the old characters coming back for more than cameos, what could they do that would be specifically Angel and not BtVS, anyway, besides having W&H lawyers or Pyleans show up? (Neither of which would be hard to do.)

BtVS is the easier series to do a legacy sequel to anyway, because it's built right into the premise. In every generation, there is a Chosen One. And "Chosen" only blew that wide open by activating all potential Slayers going forward, so now we don't even need to kill off the previous Slayer to tell a new story. The same cannot be said of Angel, which is about one specific character, as opposed to an individual who is part of a long chain of individuals in similar situations.

If they come up with a new vampire-with-a-soul character, they'd better do a good job of explaining it, because it'd be weird and annoying if there just happens to be another one that we didn't hear about in all 12 seasons of the other shows. And even more, they'd better not water down their vampire lore and make it possible for a soulless one to be a good guy. That sort of nonsense, which would validate all the Spuffies' insistence that Spike was always kind of good even before he got his soul, might be enough to put me off the new show entirely.

It'd be really cool if, after two decades of Twilight and Vampire Diaries, we could go back to vampires being scary and evil. (As much as I enjoyed Vampire Diaries, it had very serious morality issues with all its sometimes good/sometimes evil vampires.)
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^dont get me wrong, i can understand new characters under the same mythology. Though, based on my experience, there are only prequels/sequels from other “mythos” with new characters that mesmerize me as the originals.

I can understand ur excitement for this spin-off (i refuse to call it as reboot, coz it’s not), but i have qualms on what timeline this continuity will be based upon. My belief since I watched Angel, is that Angel is VERY PIVOTAL part not only to buffy but to the whole “slayerverse”. Even if Ats was solely based on a single character, it has its own “mythos” that joss used to establish this whole slayerverse i.e. Wolfram & Hart, Vampire with a soul, Shanshu, Hell Dimensions such as Quor’toth and Pylea, Demons and half demons that assimilated with human i.e. doyle & lorne. Even the whole “demon” slayer is even expanded thru Ats, as Angel has been battling demons other than vampires as compared to the “vampire slayers” tagged to slayers.

So, like i said earlier, they CAN’T just ignore Angel if they are going “re-tell” this whole slayerverse in point of view of the new slayer. Plus, what’s the point of Connor? The miracle child?! He wld just live as “normal human being”?! It’s so frustrating as an Angel fan to see that there will be “new stories” involving a “new vampire slayer” under a new spin-off, when the idea of FIRST spinoff was just abandoned due to the fact that Angel is NOT the only vamp with a soul existing in slayerverse? That’s the very source of my qualm.

Now as to the issue of canon-continuity of this spin-off, Btvs and Ats both had open-ended finale; thus, fans wanted to see its continuation. And joss gave us the comics. And we know how things turned out for Bangel fanbase. My qualms were due to the fact that the tale of Buffy and Angel WERE NOT properly concluded. If the comics will conclude at S12, then, there is a GREATER possibility that joss will use the comics as basis of continuity.

Sorry if i burst anyone’s bubble, but like i said, as long as joss doesnt give me a proper CONCLUSION for Angel’s story for my liking, then there’s nothing interesting for me about this upcoming spin-off

P.s.

Speaking of “chosen” one, i think i’m beginning to like the idea that in “every generation a slayer is born” instead of the slayerretes. I’m currently watching avatar: the last airbender, and i’m beginning to appreciate the linear storytelling of a certain character instead of “web-like” stories with multiple lead characters that even a simple audience like me, will have difficulty on “understanding” the whole point. Does joss target that kind of audience? If not, then, well, this spin off wld really not be for me.

But in anyways, i still hope for the best even if it’s just for the sake of “in loving memory” of buffy and angel.

Thanks, for replying btw✌🏽
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffy The Vampire Reboot Showrunner Responds to Fan Backlash

https://lrmonline.com/news/buffy-the-vampire-reboot-showrunner-responds-to-fan-backlash/

David Fury on the new Buffyverse tv series.

https://www.facebook.com/david.fury.37/posts/10160798619940531

David Fury

July 24 at 2:32 PM · ...
https://www.dailydot.com/…/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-reboot…/

As one who's credited with the most teleplays in the BUFFYVERSE (save for Joss himself), I'm dismayed that so many fans are not seeing this news as a thing to rejoice. I can only suspect that it's the term "reboot" that's not sitting well with them. This project is in its infancy, but I can almost guarantee the new series will be a continuation of the original universe, not a "do-over." It can just as easily be called "Daphne the Vampire Slayer" if she doesn't adopt the mantle of "Buffy" as an homage to a legend. The point is JOSS IS OVERSEEING NEW SLAYER STORIES FOR TELEVISION!! The trademark humor, social consciousness, genre-bending will all be there. It won't replace the original. It will expand the saga (and not in a comic-book form). Will any of the characters from the OS appear? Maybe. Who cares? That universe is the best. (Much better than this one.) I can't wait to watch!
elle2
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^i really dont like the sound of any show runners who are sensitive to fan’s backlash when there were other “backlashes” before, that they FAILED to respond of neither give a SENSIBLE excuse.😑

Oh well, at least, the only positive thing this spin-off wld do is to establish a new SYMBIOTIC relationship between showrunners and their targeted fans. They will give a certain “continuation” of a story from a new slayer in exchange for new job opportunites for these showrunners, writers, crews and actors.
dcai0830
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taaroko wrote:
Yeah, it's frustrating how Angel and Buffy/Angel have been handled in the comics compared to Spike and Spuffy, but this show isn't about any of those characters. Why does it matter that Joss prefers Spike over Angel if neither will be in the new show and Joss won't be running it anyway? Are you worried it will treat the comics as canon? (If it does, I'll be very annoyed, but I seriously doubt that it will. The priority will be winning over a new audience, and you don't do that by implying that there are several years' worth of comics you have to catch up on to understand what's going on. I expect it will be designed to function on its own, but that anyone who has seen the first two shows will be able to enjoy it even more.)

I'm excited for this new series because it's more of the TV Buffyverse, which was so great because it had interesting lore and well-developed characters. There is room in my heart for new well-developed characters and their stories. There's no reason the new show can't draw from things established by either existing series, because they're already in the same continuity together. I'm not sure I understand this feeling you have that Angel will be snubbed. I've always thought of the two shows as just two branches of the same thing, not really separate (as hard as the two networks tried to make them so). Without any of the old characters coming back for more than cameos, what could they do that would be specifically Angel and not BtVS, anyway, besides having W&H lawyers or Pyleans show up? (Neither of which would be hard to do.)

BtVS is the easier series to do a legacy sequel to anyway, because it's built right into the premise. In every generation, there is a Chosen One. And "Chosen" only blew that wide open by activating all potential Slayers going forward, so now we don't even need to kill off the previous Slayer to tell a new story. The same cannot be said of Angel, which is about one specific character, as opposed to an individual who is part of a long chain of individuals in similar situations.

If they come up with a new vampire-with-a-soul character, they'd better do a good job of explaining it, because it'd be weird and annoying if there just happens to be another one that we didn't hear about in all 12 seasons of the other shows. And even more, they'd better not water down their vampire lore and make it possible for a soulless one to be a good guy. That sort of nonsense, which would validate all the Spuffies' insistence that Spike was always kind of good even before he got his soul, might be enough to put me off the new show entirely.

It'd be really cool if, after two decades of Twilight and Vampire Diaries, we could go back to vampires being scary and evil. (As much as I enjoyed Vampire Diaries, it had very serious morality issues with all its sometimes good/sometimes evil vampires.)

I like this post. This is the only way to tell you that. Smile
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bustle.com/p/why-the-buffy-reboot-news-has-original-show-star-emma-caulfield-so-conflicted-9954433

Why The 'Buffy' Reboot News Has Original Show Star Emma Caulfield So Conflicted

ByEMMA CAULFIELD

As the saying goes, "everything old is new again." I think about this every time I Botox my forehead, or when I put new covers on my pillows, or when I get my teeth whitened. I also think about it whenever I hear of yet another reboot in the works for a movie or television show. Unlike the former examples, these reboots tend to elicit negative responses from me: “Ugh, why?” “It was perfect before.” “Seriously? I know writers who have great new ideas. Why not make a show about those?” “Man, Hollywood is the worst.” “They're remakinge Mary Poppins?! And Ghostbusters?! And Dirty Dancing?! And Footloose?! Whatʼs next? A reboot of Buffy The Vampire Slayer?" "Haha, that will never happen.... (wait, theyʼre what?!)"

Yup, a Buffy reboot (or at least a show set in the same universe, with a new slayer) is happening, and as an actor on the original show, I have mixed feelings, to say the least. Upon first hearing the news in July, I responded with, perhaps, a stronger opinion than I have with other reboots. After all, little information about what the series would look like was given at the time, so I had only my general feelings on reboots and my personal history to go on — and my history with Buffy, of course, runs deep, since I played Anya on the series.

Buffy is part of my past — my very "hands on, I actually helped to make it" past. I view that show as a sort of perfect circle: itʼs not perfect, perfect, as perfect circles are nearly impossible for humans to make without assistance, but I think Buffy got as close as a series could get. And look, I could understand remaking, re-imagining, re-tooling, or re-f**king-with a show whose concept was awesome but which fell apart in its execution; take Battlestar Galactica for example, a show from the '80s that became way better when it was remade in the early 2000s. But Buffy is no OG-BSG, and as such, a reboot just isn't necessary.

Is it impossible for me to be objective when it comes to Buffy, though, because I was on the show? Perhaps. After all, I myself am not a perfect circle, but instead a human being with an ego and a trunk full of memories. But if I lack objectivity, I am aided by the litany of “Best Ofʼs and “All Timeʼs” and other accolades from critics worldwide that Buffy received during and after its run. Buffy was a beloved show, and for an actor, being part in a show so applauded is a pretty freakin' cool thing — and not something to be messed with.

So perhaps quite selfishly, I want Buffy to remain like a fly encased in amber. I donʼt need Buffy Park to open on a private island, so the world can see cloned Buffys come to life. It might seem like a good idea at the time — "Buffy and the Scooby Gang are back, kids, and this time itʼs even better, because there's HD and 'skip the intro' and gluten free snacks!" — But instead of Buffy and Co. going primal and eating the tourists, Hollywoodʼs greed and lack of imagination will slowly devour their souls.

But alas, the reboot is moving forward. And, as new information comes to light, like the tweet from the show's writer about not replacing the original characters, I'm trying to check my emotions and focus more on facts. As a result, I have had new, more rational thoughts circulating in my mind grapes. They go something like this: “Joss "Near-Perfect Circle" Whedon is involved, so itʼs probably going to be great." And: “Trust and verify Emma. Calm down.” And, of course: “Too bad Anya died, cause TV show money is no joke. HA. Thatʼs such an Anya thing to say! You can take the Anya out of the Emma, but you canʼt take the Emma out of the Anya! Or is it the other way around?"

And then there are these thoughts: “Would I ever reprise my character if asked? Wait, why ask yourself a question like that, Emma? No one is asking you to come back!” And: “It looks like the new Buffy is to be a sequel! James Cameronʼs Aliens was a sequel! Aliens is my all time favorite movie! Go sequels!" And: “It would be refreshing to see people of color in a nearly all white Buffy-Verse!” And: "Maybe new blood in the institution that is Buffy would garner new appreciation for a timeless classic?”

As the saying goes, “time will tell”. I am proud of my past work on Buffy, and it will forever remain a gem in my creative endeavors. Every now and then, I will do a convention and get reminded of the impact I made on fans, playing Anya on a brilliant show named Buffy. No matter what happens with the reboot, I will continue to perfect my own circle. Iʼll never tell how far off I am.

https://www.slashfilm.com/spike-in-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-reboot/

James Marsters Says He’d Happily Play Spike Again in the ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ Reboot [TCA 2018]

Posted on Wednesday, August 1st, 2018 by Fred Topel

/Film was on the set of Marvel’s Runaways with the Television Critics Association and will have a full report on season two of the Hulu show. But speaking with James Marsters (who plays Chase’s father Victor Stein) after the Runaways panel led to talk of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot announced last month.

Marsters played Spike in the original Joss Whedon show, an antagonist who ultimately got implanted with a chip that prevented him from hurting humans. He grudgingly became a part of Buffy’s Scooby gang since he couldn’t be a monster anymore, and ultimately fell in love with her, albeit unrequited. They did have an unhealthy fling, but Spike moved to L.A. to be in the final season of Angel without her.

“I am open to whatever Joss has in mind,” Marsters said. “Whether that’s playing Spike or something else, I told him a long time ago. Joss’s mind is always surprising so I’m open to playing Spike if Joss is involved.”

It’s been 14 years since Marsters played Spike. He’s still in great shape, but Spike was a vampire who never aged for centuries. To have him play Spike now might require some Marvel de-aging visual effects, but those might not be out of the question.

“I think we’d have to get some really good lighting together to sell Spike, but they are doing more and more and more, both with actor health and with special effects,” Marsters said. “What would be great is if he comes back and he’s like, ‘Buffy, you look terrible. I still love you of course.’ That would be fun.”

Whedon is executive producing the reboot. Monica Owusu-Breen developed the idea of an African-American slayer show and has since clarified on Twitter that there would be all new characters and that his isn’t a straightforward remake.

Whether he is invited back or not, Marsters supports the idea of a new slayer for a new generation.

“I think it is fabulous,” Marsters said. “I saw a tweet by the woman who sold the idea that she wants an entirely new slayer within the universe established by Buffy. So she’s not going to be Buffy the vampire slayer. It’s going to be Sabrina or whatever it is and I think that’s a great way to go. I’m very excited about it. I think that the world very much needs a new slayer right now.”

Marsters returns on season 2 of Marvel’s Runaways, due on Hulu later this year or early 2019.
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.eonline.com/news/956987/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-reboot-update-fox-boss-says-it-s-a-great-take-on-the-show

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reboot Update: Fox Boss Says It's a "Great Take on the Show"

by Chris Harnick | Thu., Aug. 2, 2018

That Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot, remake, continuation...might not be happening any time soon. Speaking at the 2018 Television Critics Association press tour, Gary Newman, chairman and CEO of Fox Television Group, said the project is still very early in development.

"There actually is no script to see," Newman said when asked if he's read the project. "We've sat down with the creators and have had conversations with them about it. It's a very exciting prospect. It's still fairly early, we haven't pitched it to any possible licensees yet. All that is still to come."

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. veteran Monica Owusu-Breen is the lead on the project, which was reported to be an inclusive reboot, with series creator Joss Whedon also involved.

"We're thrilled that Joss has engaged," Newman said. "Monica Breen, who Joss worked with on one of his other series, is the person who would be day-to-day on the show, she's got a great take on the show, which if I told you I'd have to slit your throat, probably. It's not on an incredibly fast track, but we're hopeful that this one will come to pass."

When the news of the project was came out, it was that the series would be a reboot of Buffy, and fans spoke out. The series, which aired for seven seasons across the now-defunct The WB and UPN, starred Sarah Michelle Gellar and still has a loyal following.

Following the online uproar, Owusu-Breen posted a note on Twitter.

"For some genre writers it's Star Wars. Buffy the Vampire Slayer is my Star Wars," she wrote. "Before I became a writer, I was a fan. For seven seasons I watched Buffy Summers grow up, find love, kill that love. I watched her fight, and struggle and slay.

"There is only one Buffy. One Xander, one Willow, Giles, Cordelia, Oz, Tara, Kendra, Faith, Spike, Angel…They can't be replaced. Joss Whedon's brilliant and beautiful series can't be replicated. I wouldn't try to.

"But here we are, twenty years later…And the world seems a lot scarier. So maybe, it could be time to meet a new Slayer…And that's all I can say," she concluded
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/david-boreanaz-no-plans-controversial-buffy-reboot-just-let-lend-support-afar-144158282.html

David Boreanaz has no plans to be in controversial 'Buffy' reboot: 'I just let it be and lend my support from afar'

Ethan Alter
August 3, 2018

Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans may be torn about the recently announced reboot of Joss Whedon‘s groundbreaking TV series, but the show’s first — and arguably best — undead heartthrob is all in favor of injecting fresh blood into the dormant franchise.

“I think it’s great,” says David Boreanaz, who played the ensouled vampire Angel on Buffy for three seasons before graduating to his own self-titled spin-off. “I’m sure they’ll find the right storylines and the right people to fill shoes of whatever characters they want to portray. It was great to be a part of it when it first started, and now to see it being revived is just another testimony to the hard work that we did. I congratulate that, and applaud that.”

To be fair, fans also applauded the idea of more Buffy when the news was revealed at San Diego Comic-Con last month. The promise of a more diverse cast, including an African-American star, drew more claps. But it was the word “reboot” that inspired clapbacks, as it seemed to imply that the new series — which will be directly overseen by Monica Owusu-Breen, with Whedon serving in an advisory capacity (when he’s not working on his new HBO series, that is) — would be rewriting the show’s much-loved mythology from the ground up. The intensity of the backlash led Owusu-Breen to issue a statement on social media promising “there is only one Buffy,” and teasing the introduction of a “new Slayer” — potentially one who exists in the same universe as her predecessor.

For his part, Boreanaz indicates he’s unlikely to appear in the new series, no matter what form it takes. “For now, I just let it be and lend my support from afar,” he remarked when Yahoo Entertainment asked him whether he’d reprise his role if asked.

In fact, unlike Buffy fans, the actor doesn’t sound perturbed at the notion of someone else donning’s Angel’s signature leather jacket, should that be the direction Owusu-Breen chooses to go. “[Angel] doesn’t age, so it’s not like he’s not around! Whatever they want to do with the character, it’s such a wide, huge universe, you can really go anywhere with characters. I think the storylines will somehow reflect what the characters were about in the past. It’s all bloodline, so to speak. Ironic that I called it that! There’s always a bloodline somewhere, right?”

It’s not as if Boreanaz has copious free time to revisit his vampire roots anyway. His present job as the star and producer of the CBS military procedural SEAL Team — which returns for its second season on Oct. 3 — is practically a 24/7 proposition. When we caught up with him, he was preparing for a shoot that would stretch well into the evening and involve lots of water work by his alter ego, SEAL Team leader Jason Hayes. “We’ve been shooting Episodes 1 and 3 at the same time, and this Friday we’ll start Episode 2,” he reveals, adding that actor availability was one of the reasons for the nonsequential production order. Boreanaz’s workday frequently extends into the weekends, when he meets with his longtime acting coach, Ivana Chubbuck, to dig into Jason’s troubled psyche rather than just his physicality. “With Season 1, we were feeling him out and seeing how he ticks. His vulnerability is a little more raw going into the first five episodes of Season 2, and I’m looking forward for people to see that,” he said.

He’ll be plumbing the depths of Jason’s vulnerability with some new creative collaborators this year; creator Benjamin Cavell and showrunner Ed Redlich departed SEAL Team between seasons, and John Glenn is now running things behind the scenes — albeit with plenty of input from Boreanaz, who directed the penultimate episode of the first season. “It’s been easy and collaborative — not to say it wasn’t that way in Season 1,” the actor says of the handover to Glenn, who inherited a show that wrapped up its freshman season with its central team scattered. “John has been fantastic and adjusted extremely well. The most exciting part for us going into Season 2 will be exploring how all these characters will have to find the resolve in order to go back to the team. If not, there’ll be a lot of destruction that’ll happen.”

Boreanaz points to the 10th episode of Season 1 — which comes out on DVD on Aug. 14 — as the one where the series really found its voice as, as he describes it, “ER for the military workplace.” Directed by ER veteran Chris Chulack, the story took place largely in a single setting, which allowed for the kind of intense character work that the actor says will be an even bigger part of the show’s sophomore season. “I look at Episode 10 as a big breakthrough for us,” he says now. “The show has that ER pulse that is rapid-fire. And I know going into Season 2, you will see a storyline you’ve never seen before on TV, and I’m proud to be a part of that.”

The first season of SEAL Team will be available on DVD on Aug. 14; Season 2 premieres Oct. 3 at 9 p.m.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/david-boreanaz-gives-the-buffy-reboot-and-possibly-recasting-angel-his-blessing

David Boreanaz gives the Buffy reboot, and possibly recasting Angel, his blessing

Matthew Jackson
Aug 3, 2018

No matter which side you fall on, it's easy to see the reaction to the upcoming reboot/revival of the beloved supernatural series Buffy the Vampire Slayer has been...mixed. Some fans applauded the promise of a more diverse cast, a new showrunner, and even the clarification that the show will focus on a new Slayer rather than a recast Buffy.

Others didn't see the point at all, while still others simply shrugged and considered the show yet another cog in the nostalgia profit machine. Now that the fans have weighed in, the original stars of the Buffyverse are beginning to react themselves, and for his part David Boreanaz is happy to see the franchise move into a new era.

Speaking to Yahoo! about the reboot news, Boreanaz gave the show his blessing in no uncertain terms, framing the eventual new series as a tribute to the impact of the original show, rather than a replacement for it.

“I think it’s great,” he said. “I’m sure they’ll find the right storylines and the right people to fill shoes of whatever characters they want to portray. It was great to be a part of it when it first started, and now to see it being revived is just another testimony to the hard work that we did. I congratulate that, and applaud that.”

Boreanaz got his big break on Buffy when the show debuted in 1997 as the mysterious vampire with a soul known as Angel, and actually ended up playing his character longer than Sarah Michelle Gellar played Buffy Summers. After co-starring on Buffy for three seasons, the character left Sunnydale and Boreanaz got his own spinoff, Angel, which ran for five seasons before its cancellation in 2004. Though he's since moved on to other successful shows like Bones and his current series SEAL Team, Boreanaz will forever be identified with Angel, which of course begs the question: How would he feel if another, younger actor stepped into those immortal shoes?

“[Angel] doesn’t age, so it’s not like he’s not around! Whatever they want to do with the character, it’s such a wide, huge universe, you can really go anywhere with characters," he said. "I think the storylines will somehow reflect what the characters were about in the past. It’s all bloodline, so to speak. Ironic that I called it that! There’s always a bloodline somewhere, right?”

We still don't know exactly what form the return of Buffy will take, only that it's more of a revival of the show's mythology rather than a full-on remake of the original series. Just this week, Fox executives noted that they're happy to take their time with the project for now, and that there's not even a script available yet, so it's not clear when we'll learn more. It's always possible that classic Buffy characters and the actors who played them could be asked to come back to the show in some way, but at the moment Boreanaz isn't concerned with that.

“For now, I just let it be and lend my support from afar,” he said.

So, at least in its early stages, the return of Buffy carries the David Boreanaz seal of approval, and that has to mean something to trepidatious fans.
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Vampire Diaries actually betrayed the “B/A” type of feel and ended up “Spuffy”—not to mention, I actually don’t see anything different between vampires and ‘regular people” really. However, I enjoyed the Originals because it was so verbose and “over the top” so the sense of these self involved vampires was a lot clearer; I don’t yet feel ‘Legacies’ is all that promising, as this daughter, having competing forces contained within should have made her rather insane to begin with and offers too easy an “out” for dramatic posturing with sudden vampire/werewolf/superfantasticplanetarypower witchery.

For the reboot, I am all in favor of it; we actually are facing two timelines in the comics, and I always wondered if Buffy was going to become an adult OR if she was always “the internal slayer” we all have as a guide through the darkness of the unknown and of change. It seems it is the latter and I guess “Normal Again” was the big reveal “all along” and I personally rather hate it.

I do fear the reboot will be exactly like “Vampire Diaries” that will actually feel too tongue in cheek regarding “teen angst” (I loathe cynicism, particularly in the authenticity of experience of the young). I still think ‘the drama’ and actual complex pressure of young adults was handled with greater “heft” and sincerity in the original Buffy—after all, I am a B/Aer and that means neither party was “kidding” to the degree adults don’t even measure up. I will never, ever on every cell of me believe Buffy would sleep with Spike with a soul. Imf’inpossible. That is not her. Period. That only means a. “forever” is Joss Whedon’s actual belief that such love does not truly exist because he has seen and done all of its failures. Well, I have seen differently in real life and the capacity to continually grow and become more, deeper, stronger, better, as Buffy would say, is the very “imagination made real” that B/A embodies.

Anyway, I am not interested in a show of “torture” the main character and call it a day. I will need to see the “boards” laid down as the story structure. While Anne Rice is terrible, with an adjective for every single noun, she actually does describe the “mythical’ path to transformations and, believe me, every taboo is broken to accomplish it. And that is exactly what went on with B/A and why I love it so, in a story of “becoming” and achieving adulthood in the beautiful display of perfect union in perfect paradox—something I think is a lot like “truth” and we were shown, dark/light was visible in the experience of the “forever moment.”

I am sure the writers for the reboot will do what is “safe” and will set up a triangle, and that’s bad to me.

I have no problem with a reboot if I ‘buy’ the premise of what she is accomplish in the story of “beginning, middle, end” I will give every lee way to the actress because the writing under her may take a little time to show more than 'MOW." Maybe you disagree, but that first few scenes of the school bus, the great maw of the school door, and Xander picking up the stakes was utterly brilliant to me.

I sincerely feel the comics took the ‘easy path’ to end, which may be correct, but is truly not satisfying to me We were asked to suspend belief, and take this world of Buffy as the real one. That is what I gave and I feel seeing the world of the subconscious is the subject of all these “Total Recall” ‘Reverie” dream walker stories. I prefer my B/A to be the real thing, baby.

I will watch to see if this person retains her autonomy, retains her willingness to trust her own intution and actually also continues to learn, especially regarding her own value that isn’t just “being the one and only slayer”, but toward that actual “JUSTICE,” which includes that fan club of followers/scoobies. I disagree strongly with healing done in the Judeo-Christian “forgiveness in a vacuum of true understanding”==”he/she/it” is just folk and deserves my forgiveness because I’m not “all that” either, (YUCK) especially to “explain away” complication and making love itself “all about me” or mentally vacuous in “all about you” is problematic to me, if not a cheat to emotional, not to mention character veracity.

Hugs
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.cbr.com/alyson-hannigan-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-reboot/

Buffy the Vampire Slayer’s Alyson Hannigan Weighs in on Reboot

Buffy the Vampire Slayer alum Alyson Hannigan has weighed in on the series' impending reboot

by Eric Bartsch

https://static1.cbrimages.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-willow-header.jpg?q=35&w=984&h=518&fit=crop

was announced last month that Buffy the Vampire Slayer would be revived for a new treatment under the guiding hand of creator and Avengers director Joss Whedon. The original cast may appear lukewarm to any sort of revival or reunion, but Alyson Hannigan, who played nerd-turned-witch Willow Rosenberg, offered her opinion on the update.

The actor was positive about the prospect of a new Buffy, but only if Whedon is involved. “As long as Joss is involved it will be good, I’m sure,” she said in an interview with E! News.

https://www.eonline.com/shows/daily_pop/videos/276336/what-alyson-hannigan-knows-about-the-buffy-reboot

Hannigan added Buffy was ahead of its time and still hears a lot from fans about how good and timeless the show is. “I feel like the old show would still hold up,” said Hannigan. “At least that’s what people keep telling me.”

Buffy became one of those shows the original viewers watch years later. “Now the fans of the show, their children are watching so we have a whole other generation,” Hannigan said, also quipping that reruns would work today in primetime.

Hannigan admits she has no insider details, but she looks forward to seeing if the new Buffy lives up to the storied legacy of the show. “But I don’t know I just hope the reboot is as good as ours was,” she said.

The jury is still out on if Hannigan will return to the role of Willow for Joss Whedon’s next televised iteration of Buffy, which producer and Whedon collaborator Monica Owusu-Breen assured fans via Twitter wouldn’t be a full reboot

The E! link is a video interview
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/james-marsters-very-happy-to-see-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-getting-a-reboot

James Marsters 'very happy' to see Buffy the Vampire Slayer getting a reboot

Matthew Jackson

James Marsters, who played the villainous-turned-heroic vampire Spike on six seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and one season of its spinoff Angel, has weighed in on the upcoming new Buffy series, and his feelings are surprisingly uncomplicated.

The new series, announced back in July, will be created by showrunner Monica Owusu-Breen, and will focus on a Slayer played by a woman of color. Original Buffy creator Joss Whedon is on board as an executive producer, and while that news was reassuring to many, fans of classic Buffy were initially very nervous about the idea of someone rebooting their hero. Those anxieties led Owusu-Breen to clarify that the show will not necessarily be a new take on Buffy Summers, but will instead focus on a "new Slayer," perhaps even one who emerges from the same universe that Buffy walked into more than two decades ago.

Since then, it seems that everyone anyone who was involved with the original Buffyverse is interviewed for anything, they're asked to weigh in on the reboot, from stars David Boreanaz and Alyson Hannigan to writer Marti Noxon. This week it was Marsters' turn. Speaking to TV Guide while promoting the Hulu series Runaways, Marsters gave the new series his blessing, with the caveat that it continues to focus on one of Buffy's most potent themes.

"I like the idea of making a new slayer in that universe that's not Buffy, whole new deal," he said. "I think Joss [Whedon] being involved means it's going to be good... But I'm very happy that that theme of "don't give up" [which] basically is, I think, the theme of the show at the end of the day, I'm glad for that theme to keep getting played."

Marsters' remarks echo what's become a common sentiment among Buffy alums when discussing Owusu-Breen series: That if Whedon has leant his name to the show, it's going to be OK. While it's certainly too soon to know for sure at this point, Whedon's involvement with the show is good news, as is the news that Fox is willing to take its time with development on the show. Hopefully with time and patience, this show can grow into something special, and it sounds like Marsters will be ready to watch when it is.

comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/david-boreanaz-chimes-in-on-buffy-reboot-at-nycc-im-all-for-it

David Boreanaz chimes in on Buffy reboot at NYCC: 'I'm all for it'

Contributed by

James Comtois

Don Kaye

Actor David Boreanaz said at New York Comic Con that he hopes the upcoming reboot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is "huge and successful."

In a Q&A session with the former Buffy and Angel star, Boreanaz told attendees that the reboot — the mention of which was met at first with resounding boos during the actor's talk — was "embracing something new" and that he was "all for it."

Boreanaz played the mysterious vampire known as Angel on Buffy when the show debuted in 1997. He then continued to play the role in his spinoff series, Angel, which ran for five seasons before its cancellation in 2004. In August, Boreanaz gave the recently announced revival of the show his blessing, saying he thinks "it's great," and seeing it get revived "is just another testimony to the hard work that we did.”

The actor echoed those sentiments during his NYCC chat with Entertainment Weekly editor-at-large Lynette Rice, telling the initially negative audience that it was a "good thing":

"I'm very happy for them. It's embracing something new. Things move on. Stories evolve. Times change. I'm all for it. Good for them. I hope it becomes huge and successful."

Boreanaz's generous comments turned the boos into applause and he further lightened the mood by joking that he was happy not to wear the Angel makeup anymore. He also noted that with so many different people playing iconic characters like Batman or Superman, why couldn't the same be done for Buffy and company?

Since his time as Angel, Boreanaz has starred in the hit shows Bones and SEAL Team, which means the 49-year-old actor has pretty much been working in television non-stop since the late '90s. (The gap between the Angel finale and the Bones premiere was something like 16 months.).

SEAL Team just launched its 2nd season on CBS-TV, and after a clip from the show was screened, Boreanaz explained why he thought promoting a military drama at an event heavily about sci-fi, fantasy and superheroes was appropriate:

"I consider these guys true superheroes...There's no green screen, no fake blood. They go on missions and risk their lives to keep this country safe."

In other highlights of his talk with Rice, Boreanaz was asked to sing "Mandy" — a reference to a beloved karaoke scene from Angel — but politely declined, and also recalled the moment he found out he got the role on Buffy: "I was just walking my dog in West Hollywood," he explained, when he thought someone was cruising him and looking to pick him up.

The fellow turned out to be his manager (who was in the audience) with the news that would change the course of the actor's career: "The role was for a 245-year-old vampire with a soul...he was like Joe Lewis, you couldn't keep him down." That's what hooked Boreanaz: "Vampire? Didn't care. But heart of a boxer? I was in."
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://people.com/tv/sarah-michelle-gellar-supports-buffy-reboot-amid-fan-backlash/

Sarah Michelle Gellar Supports Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reboot Amid Fan Backlash

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2017%2F05%2Fgettyimages-667019862.jpg

Karen Mizoguchi
October 04, 2018

The upcoming Joss Whedon-produced show was first confirmed in July with a black actress in the starring role of Buffy Summers, which Gellar made famous for seven seasons until 2003.

Following the announcement, the Buffyverse has become a divided fanbase as many continue to share mixed reactions over the reboot that will not feature Gellar in the titular role.

“At the end of the day, it’s all about great storytelling,” Gellar, 41, tells PEOPLE. “If a story lives on, then I think it should be told in any incarnation it can be told in.”

Gellar’s positive comments about the Buffy reboot came hours after her former costar David Boreanaz addressed a packed room of Buffy fans at New York Comic-Con, where rounds of audible boos were reportedly heard when the reboot was discussed.

“Come on, guys. It’s a good thing. Let’s just embrace [it]. I’m very happy for them. They want to embrace a new generation, something new. … I’m all for it. I think it’s fantastic. Good for them. I hope that it becomes huge and successful,” Boreanaz said at a panel moderated by Entertainment Weekly‘s Lynette Rice, according to multiple outlets.

And Gellar agrees with Boreanaz, telling PEOPLE: “I’m with David

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2017%2F03%2Fbtvs-angel-buffy.jpg
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://uproxx.com/tv/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-reboot-cast-support/

The ‘Buffy The Vampire Slayer’ Reboot Has The Support Of The Original Show’s Cast

BY: Josh Kurp

When the Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot, with a black actress as the new Slayer, was mentioned during a panel with David Boreanaz at New York Comic-Con on Thursday, people reportedly started booing. But despite the public reaction to the series, which is being overseen by Joss Whedon and Monica Owusu-Breen, both Buffy and Angel have given their blessings to the reboot.

“Come on, guys, it’s a good thing,” Boreanaz said. “Let’s just embrace [it]. I’m very happy for them. They want to embrace a new generation, something new… Everybody wants old, they want to go back, which I can understand. You want to see us back in these roles. It’s great, it’s cool, [but] things move on, stories evolve, times change. I think it’s a great opportunity for a reboot like this to show where we are with society now, what you can do with technology. How you can explore those relationships with the same kinds of metaphors. I’m all for it. I think it’s fantastic. Good for them. I hope that it becomes huge and successful, and does what it does.” He added, “If someone can step in my shoes and play my character, fuck, go ahead! I think that’s great, because I ain’t putting on that makeup anymore.” Maybe the Angel puppet is available.

Sarah Michelle Gellar agreed with Boreanaz’s comments, telling People, “At the end of the day, it’s all about great storytelling. If a story lives on, then I think it should be told in any incarnation it can be told in.” If anyone’s going to be protective about Buffy the Vampire Slayer‘s legacy, it’s Gellar (she is the only winner of the Class Protector Award, after all). So her support is a positive sign.

Meanwhile, no one cares what Riley thinks about, well, anything.

pic.twitter.com/Sdz4oKh3gM

— monicaowusubreen (@monicabreen) July 26, 2018

(Via The Hollywood Reporter and People)
Janas2
Mortal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cc-media-foxit.fichub.com/image/fox-it-mondofox/47728a08-ab25-4ae7-b046-e20f7cab8f4f/buffy-20-anni-dopo-666x444.jpg

I Hope you can see the pick because is very beauty

Angel and Buffy togheter NOW Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: