Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buffy S12 # 3 Issue Discussion Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Comics Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Buffy S12 # 3 Issue Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Preview Pages For Buffy S12 # 3.

http://buffythecomicslayer.tumblr.com/post/176780000266/buffy-12-03-the-reckoning-part-three-preview

Last edited by comic fan on Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:38 am; edited 3 times in total
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First review of this week's Buffy S12 # 3.Some light spoilers

http://boundingintocomics.com/2018/08/16/review-buffy-the-reckoning-3/

Comic Book Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Reckoning #3, Season 12

Phillip Pratt August 16, 2018

“We demons were here first, Missy… and we’ll be here last.”

Fans that are accustomed to the storytelling stylings of Joss Whedon on TV will feel right at home with the Dark Horse comic, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Reckoning #3, Season 12. While not an exact replica of what one would expect from the Scoobies on the small screen, it’s darn close. With writing aid supplied by Buffy universe-vet, Christos Gage, Joss successfully mixes elements of horror, action, and comedy so well that the happenings in the foreground will oft distract the reader from the gravity and utter finality of the moment (keep an eye on the characters in the background).

The issue starts off in a very BtVS-way. Buffy and friends saying their final goodbyes to one another before they set off on another life and death situation/war with sharp, pointy objects in hand. Again, if you grew up with the show, this isn’t anything new. However, writers Whedon and Gage succeed in making it not come off as cliché, but have each conversation contain real levity. Each character accepts that they may not come out of the coming battle alive. Even those that haven’t been following each added comic book “season” after the television show wrapped with its 7th back in 03’ (this is the 12th), the characters feel familiar enough so that you’re not completely lost. If for someone reason you still are, that’s what wikis are for, people.

The story in of itself is exactly what a penultimate or season finale of Buffy should be. It’s funny, tragic, and sometimes horrifying as we watch our heroes, fight, quip, and sometimes die in gruesome fashion. Readers just jumping on with issue #3 will be presented with some new faces, but also be treated to many familiar ones as well. Including everyone’s favorite juice-cup sipping, once-upon-a-time-nemesis, Andrew Wells.

“But why? I’m way less useless in a fight than I used to be!”

Pencil work is handled by Georges Jeanty and I must admit, for me, it may be the books lower point. It’s not bad, please understand, but there are some trouble spots, mostly with the happenings in the background. For the most part, it’s fine, even if some faces/characters are immediately recognizable. I noticed Buffy looks more like Buffy in the latter half of the book than in the beginning pages, whereas Faith, Xander (he’s got an eye-patch, so that’s kind of easy), Angel (the forehead), and Spike (despite his likeness to Billy Idol) are all immediately, and consistently, identifiable throughout.

The Verdict

Dark Horse’s latest offering of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is basically everything you’d expect out of the franchise. Perhaps to its detriment. It can be a lot of the same. But if you’re a 90’s kid (like Moi), then this is probably your bread and butter. Visuals are adequate (generally), and all the characters speak in their usual, if not sometimes tone-deaf, manners. Fans of the franchise will most likely jive with all BtVS: The Reckoning’s storyline, where those not used to the rhythm of Whedon’s universe, may find it off-putting. But what kind of dweeb doesn’t like the Slayer?

PROS
◾Pacing is a brisk as the show ever was
◾Characterizations are spot-on
◾Lots of cozy nostalgia

CONS
◾Art was a bit inconsistent, especially in the backgrounds
◾Plot felt familiar

Overall Score

I ger the vibe that there is atleast one death if not more in this issue from the review.
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tweets between Editors Note Comics and Christos Gage

https://twitter.com/EdsNoteComics/status/1031597924575260672

Editor's Note Comics‏ @EdsNoteComics · 32m32 minutes ago

@Christosgage I read Buffy. Without spoilers, I loved it. Really well paced issue and the stakes felt huge on every page. Love the small beats some characters got. Thrilled to see the page 1 character in the mix. This whole season feels like the way thing should end.

Follow Follow @EdsNoteComics

@Christosgage but completely way too selfish question, were there a few lines in there I may have been partially responsible for inspiring? Page 5 if i want to be super specific. (And apologies since this overly self aggrandizing, but I had to ask)

Christos Gage‏ @Christosgage · 24m24 minutes ago
Replying to @EdsNoteComics

Without being sure what specifically you’re referring to, I think the dialogue is stuff we wanted to address in general. But maybe I’m misunderstanding what you mean?

It could have totally been planned ahead of time. Just something I was pushing for a while ago when you were still scripting and was happy to see it in the story.

Hurray for vague tweets without spoilers

Maybr a Gunn and Connor mention?
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christos Gage answers some questions about issue 3 on twitter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Christosgage

D Halphen
D Halphen
@SpiritDarko

@Christosgage big fans question : was Harth already a part of the very first reckoning which did create his universe ?

12:46 PM - 25 Aug 2018

Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @SpiritDarko

Nope. He remembers it because he has Slayer memories.

Juliette Dod Juliette Dod
@juliettedod
Aug 26

Replying to @Christosgage @SpiritDarko

But..but.. pic.twitter.com/gNwzCIXc5T

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlgtzGPXcAAuQO8.jpg:small

Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @juliettedod @SpiritDarko

Oh right. Haha! It’s been a while since I wrote it. Ok Harth WAS there, but he went to hell with the others.

7:47 AM - 26 Aug 2018

D Halphen D Halphen
@SpiritDarko
20h

Replying to @DMN1984 @Christosgage @juliettedod

Confused here. So it’s a loop. Not a « Reckoning happened without Harth, created Fray’s future and Harth as a vampire and Harth is back to get involved in the new reckoning » so what change ? pic.twitter.com/viEgaWpYDX

View conversation ·

Diana
Diana
@DMN1984 Replying to @SpiritDarko @Christosgage @juliettedod

Well I would assumed what changed is now Harth has all of the Slayer Powers. But my problem is, as Doc would say, he has now altered the timeline. How does he know he hasn’t altered so much that he was never born or he never became a vampire in the future?

8:47 AM - 26 Aug 2018
·
Christos Gage
Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @DMN1984 @SpiritDarko @juliettedod

Yes. What changed is that this time he took the massed Slayer powers from Buffy successfully. That is the difference. He DOESN'T know if he changed the timeline, but he's now outside of it, a temporal anomaly, so he doesn't care.

8:50 AM - 26 Aug 2018

D Halphen D Halphen
@SpiritDarko
20h

Replying to @Christosgage @DMN1984 @juliettedod

Ok that’s interesting. Thank you for taking some time to give us some piece of information. Just wondering how he succeeded this time when (why) he didn’t the first time. What change ? (btw all the character scenes are amazingly fun and heartbreaking)

View conversation ·

Christos Gage
Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @SpiritDarko @DMN1984 @juliettedod

If I remember right what changed is this time Harth got that old school staff the shamans used to empower the first slayer, which he used to steal Buffy’s Uber-Slayer power. If we’d had more room I would have explained that better.

9:07 AM - 26 Aug 2018

gite63 gite63
@gite63
20h

Replying to @Christosgage @DMN1984 and 2 others

Does the repetition of “Harth knows everything that's going to happen” serve a purpose?

View conversation

Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @gite63 @DMN1984 and 2 others

Being new reader friendly

gite63 gite63
@gite63
13h

May I ask if Giles being aged off-screen was for the sake of new readers? And the Buffy/Willow dialogue repetition (from S11, Buffy/Dawn on the roof) of issue #1, too?

View conversation ·

Christos Gage

Giles being aged off screen was due to lack of space...we only had four issues. And yes, I thought there might be some readers who only picked up this final mini. I have good news for you though, I’m not writing Buffy comics anymore so hopefully you’ll enjoy whatever’s next more.

Last edited by comic fan on Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christos Gage answers some questions about issue 3 on twitter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Christosgage

D Halphen
D Halphen
@SpiritDarko

@Christosgage big fans question : was Harth already a part of the very first reckoning which did create his universe ?

12:46 PM - 25 Aug 2018

Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @SpiritDarko

Nope. He remembers it because he has Slayer memories.

Juliette Dod Juliette Dod
@juliettedod
Aug 26

Replying to @Christosgage @SpiritDarko

But..but.. pic.twitter.com/gNwzCIXc5T

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlgtzGPXcAAuQO8.jpg:small

Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @juliettedod @SpiritDarko

Oh right. Haha! It’s been a while since I wrote it. Ok Harth WAS there, but he went to hell with the others.

7:47 AM - 26 Aug 2018

D Halphen D Halphen
@SpiritDarko
20h

Replying to @DMN1984 @Christosgage @juliettedod

Confused here. So it’s a loop. Not a « Reckoning happened without Harth, created Fray’s future and Harth as a vampire and Harth is back to get involved in the new reckoning » so what change ? pic.twitter.com/viEgaWpYDX

View conversation ·

Diana
Diana
@DMN1984 Replying to @SpiritDarko @Christosgage @juliettedod

Well I would assumed what changed is now Harth has all of the Slayer Powers. But my problem is, as Doc would say, he has now altered the timeline. How does he know he hasn’t altered so much that he was never born or he never became a vampire in the future?

8:47 AM - 26 Aug 2018
·
Christos Gage
Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @DMN1984 @SpiritDarko @juliettedod

Yes. What changed is that this time he took the massed Slayer powers from Buffy successfully. That is the difference. He DOESN'T know if he changed the timeline, but he's now outside of it, a temporal anomaly, so he doesn't care.

8:50 AM - 26 Aug 2018

D Halphen D Halphen
@SpiritDarko
20h

Replying to @Christosgage @DMN1984 @juliettedod

Ok that’s interesting. Thank you for taking some time to give us some piece of information. Just wondering how he succeeded this time when (why) he didn’t the first time. What change ? (btw all the character scenes are amazingly fun and heartbreaking)

View conversation ·

Christos Gage
Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @SpiritDarko @DMN1984 @juliettedod

If I remember right what changed is this time Harth got that old school staff the shamans used to empower the first slayer, which he used to steal Buffy’s Uber-Slayer power. If we’d had more room I would have explained that better.

9:07 AM - 26 Aug 2018

gite63 gite63
@gite63
20h

Does the repetition of “Harth knows everything that's going to happen” serve a purpose?

View conversation

Christos Gage

Being new reader friendly

gite63 gite63
@gite63
13h

May I ask if Giles being aged off-screen was for the sake of new readers? And the Buffy/Willow dialogue repetition (from S11, Buffy/Dawn on the roof) of issue #1, too?

View conversation ·

Christos Gage

Giles being aged off screen was due to lack of space...we only had four issues. And yes, I thought there might be some readers who only picked up this final mini. I have good news for you though, I’m not writing Buffy comics anymore so hopefully you’ll enjoy whatever’s next more.

Last edited by comic fan on Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Grace Newman
Chosen One

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Spuffies have turned on Christos! The captain is not supposed to abandon the sinking ship!

LOL
dcai0830
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace Newman wrote:
The Spuffies have turned on Christos! The captain is not supposed to abandon the sinking ship!

LOL

Lol truth!

But honestly, I'm sure Joss warned CG it wouldn't be pretty right? I mean I've read the Q/A's for s8. I sure hope he had an idea of what to expect.

Poor CG doesn't realize all that they are trying to do is find some 'deeper significance' that will explain the break up that they can't wrap their minds around. He thinks that they are taking digs at his writing lol. But when literally everything since s10 has been pretty surface what do you really expect for s12?

No - they are not all robots.
No - they are not melding into alter-ego personalities.
No - the fact that they are repeating lines from the show does not signify some grand plot twist of time wonkiness. They did the same thing in Lessons in s7. It's just nostalgia folks.
No - Buffy is reverting to her teenage state because she happened to literally just SMILE at Angel. Buffy doesn't have to hate Angel to be an adult.

They. Just. Broke. Up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Comics Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: