Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buffy Reboot
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.cbr.com/buffy-reboot-sarah-michelle-gellar-interview/

Sarah Michelle Gellar Is Completely Into the Buffy Reboot

Former Buffy the Vampire Slayer star Sarah Michelle Gellar says she's happy with the upcoming reboot.

by Nicole Sobon

It has been over 20 years since Buffy the Vampire Slayer hit the small screen, and yet, even now, the show continues to be a cultural phenomenon. So, it’s not entirely surprising that in a time when old favorites are being rebooted, a Buffy reboot is (finally) in the works. Unfortunately, the reception to the reboot news has been rather divisive, with many feeling a reboot is far from necessary. However, there’s one party that is on board with the project — and her opinion probably carries more weight than most: Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Talks of a Buffy reboot have circulated for years now, however, it wasn’t until this past July that anything came of those reports. The rebooted series, which will hail from 20th Century Fox Television, will see series creator Joss Whedon team with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. writer Monica Owusu-Breen to tell a new Buffy story that will feature a black actor in the lead role this time around.

has been over 20 years since Buffy the Vampire Slayer hit the small screen, and yet, even now, the show continues to be a cultural phenomenon. So, it’s not entirely surprising that in a time when old favorites are being rebooted, a Buffy reboot is (finally) in the works. Unfortunately, the reception to the reboot news has been rather divisive, with many feeling a reboot is far from necessary. However, there’s one party that is on board with the project — and her opinion probably carries more weight than most: Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Talks of a Buffy reboot have circulated for years now, however, it wasn’t until this past July that anything came of those reports. The rebooted series, which will hail from 20th Century Fox Television, will see series creator Joss Whedon team with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. writer Monica Owusu-Breen to tell a new Buffy story that will feature a black actor in the lead role this time around.

It remains to be seen what happens with the new reboot, however, Owusu-Breen, who will serve as showrunner on the potential series, has confirmed it won’t necessarily be a full-blown reboot. Maybe we’ll see a new generation of slayers that follows the original show’s series finale? Anything is possible. For now, though, the original cast just wants to see fans give the new iteration a chance.

https://www.cbr.com/david-boreanaz-chastises-nycc-audience-booing-buffy-reboot/

David Boreanaz Chastises NYCC Audience for Booing Buffy Reboot

Former Buffy the Vampire Slayer star David Boreanaz revealed he supports the series reboot after NYCC attendees booed it.

by Mira Jacobs

While some fans are less than thrilled about the planned reboot of Joss Whedon’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer, it has full support from actor David Boreanaz, who played Buffy’s vampire boyfriend Angel in the original series.

Boreanaz appeared on a panel at New York Comic Con on Thursday and made his opinions clear when the topic of the reboot came up, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The audience booed at the idea of a new Buffy, which is being developed by Monica Owusu-Breen with input from Whedon, but Boreanaz answered their negativity with: “Come on, guys…It’s a good thing. Let’s just embrace [it].”

Aside from Buffy herself (Sarah Michelle Gellar), Angel was the most influential character in the original WB series, having appeared in its very first episode in 1997 and departing after the third season to star in the spinoff Angel, which ran for five seasons. Since then, Boreanaz spent 12 years in a starring role in Bones, and can now be found on CBS’s SEAL Team. However, some fans will always remember him for his breakout role and don’t wish to see him replaced. Boreanaz acknowledged this in his panel.

“Everybody wants old, they want to go back,” said Boreanaz. “Which I can understand: You want to see us back in these roles. It’s great, it’s cool [but] things move on, stories evolve, times change. I think it’s a great opportunity for a reboot like this to show where we are with society now, what you can do with technology. How you can explore those relationships with the same kinds of metaphors. I’m all for it. I think it’s fantastic. Good for them. I hope that it becomes huge and successful, and does what it does.”

This perspective is not only supportive but realistic, as the original series had various limitations due to its budget and the special effects possibilities of the time. Vampire characters like Angel had the additional complication that they were meant to be immortal, which is harder to ignore after the actors have aged 20 years. Boreanaz seems to have accepted this: “If someone can step in my shoes and play my character, f–k, go ahead! I think that’s great, because I ain’t putting on that makeup anymore!”

Currently, the new show is in its earliest stages, but Owusu-Breen has clarified that it will be a new version of Buffy’s universe rather than a continuation of the old series. The reboot will have a diverse cast, with a black actress in the titular role, but preserving the spirit of the original show is clearly a priority.

While fans may have their doubts, it appears that the project has the support of the original cast, as well as Whedon himself.
Janas2
Mortal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for my first post,
Is the pick related to Buffy reboot? Cause I believe so and to see David and Sarah togeter It was beatifull Smile

Hugs to all
Janas
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janas2 wrote:

Sorry for my first post,
Is the pick related to Buffy reboot? Cause I believe so and to see David and Sarah togeter It was beatifull Smile

Hugs to all
Janas

I believe that is from EW Buffy 20th anniversary cast reunion photoshoot from last year.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/03/29/buffy-reunion

sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the updates, comic!

Thanks, too, for the pictures I recall, showing Buffy and Angel as THE only couple.

I am sure Comic mentioned somewhere that Boom has the comic franchise. It is no secret most think that "closure" for B/A was settled and the big sacrifice by merciless Ilyria--with Fred dragged along "somehow" into hell in place of Buffy to save humanity will be "fixed" when Angel decides the time is right. So, his story "ended" in his shanshu with Connor. So, B/A and Joss? Fuhgehdaboudit.

As for the reboot, I guess I change my mind. Joss's name is bandied about on both the reboot and the comics, which means absolutely zero--something like Kazui has zero to do with anything and still gets paid.

Anywho, I am glad youse guys could find something to cheer about because what we were given was the stick without the swizzle. We have learned NOT what the story actually was, showed and promised, year after year, and became WHO joss is, considering he is an abusive, lying, cheat. Go find fan fic and read it again. you have tested "story" and you know better what rings true about it, even if it is your purest hope, offered every sacrifice, and given the patience to understand your deepest inner truths. Do that. You will be reminded of both your sanity and your heart. You were never wrong to believe in Buffy and Angel. Never.

Hugs!
sybil
Grace Newman
Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that it warmed my heart to see SMG say, "I'm with David" in the People article about the reboot. It's the little things! Smile

I really wonder if the project will end up going anywhere, though...

I'm cautiously optimistic about the BOOM! comic reboot. I'm hoping they won't be able to resist bringing Angel in. Smile

And while I know the ending of Season 12 was disappointing to people, it also wasn't really an ending.

sybil wrote:
It is no secret most think that "closure" for B/A was settled

I really think most people who read Season 12 agreed that the ending was left totally open for any of the main Buffy ships (Bangel, Fuffy, Spuffy) to still be a possibility. And the Q&A with Christos Gage confirmed it.

Angel's last words in Season 12 are asking to stay with Buffy and Buffy's last spoken words are reminding him that he's a person she loves. Like. Spuffies can say whatever they want, but I'm never going to just accept their take on it. Buffy and Angel are finally going to be in the same place at the same time after a very long time apart and they still love each other. Anything can happen! Smile
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree that “staying,” rather than always “leaving” suggests there is some sort of hope, I have to point out that the love fest was a “smoosh” for everyone. Furthermore, Angel is interested in saving Illyria/Fred as the supposed romance he actually found “interesting.” Which means, he is still interested in POWER and in high intellectualism vs. his own path outlined in Sanctuary, as in he MUST create it for ‘rest’ for those whose souls actually need that in order to even exercise “free will”—not to mention accept that his free will IS his path to redemption/shanshu.

In narrative balance, these displacing children, Dawn and Connor, have to be killed as the strawmen they are for the desire of a “fairy tale” sort of “normal,” as is wished by teen Buffy, and is not the reality her mother actually showed her; and a “mortality” that doesn’t include death, which is the failure of Angel’s tale—he went to hell over and over so that can’t be the great ‘horror’ to a VAMPIRE, for it is the paradox of life/death that is the deepest fear and desire, (the teen aged “death wish” in being overwhelmed with consequence to “simplistic” choices) that is at the bottom of Angel’s ‘problems’. That is expressed in fear/hate of the human father’s unimaginative/strict life path and Father, as in God. (I do think Christians rather count on “the rest” of the story regarding salvation within their faith).

The nature of “shanshu” is within the “forever moment” shown with Buffy, over and over, that is derailed, over and over that had its purpose, but was simply denied in the actuality of LEARNING. The focus of purpose is found to exist in every single choice thereafter as “renewal.” Life is lessons (making mistakes you might continue to make, in a different guise, perhaps, until actual learning takes placeor has no inherent interest-which is the biggest failure there is of all the comics; and life is important in the reality of death. I really am not up for just “blowing crap up” and calling that “good Buffy.”

Angel’s shanshu de facto is in Connor, just as Dawn became the “real girl” or ‘normal’ on behalf of Buffy. I didn’t write this crap because I had invested in the original characters of the piece and waited patiently for the writers to actually “get in down the road” toward the goals of the piece in achieving maturity. (and BECAUSE of the mythical and even fairy tale structures, using the platform of death to show change and consequence). I did not invest in Dawn or in Connor to gain the “normal” and “mortal” goals of the protagonists, especially showing up half way through the narrative. Yes, when Joss wanted to “kill them all” he actually had fulfilled the damn PROMISE of the originating story offered. The implied promise is in Buffy and Angel ‘making it’ to maturity to actually have the promise of a life of love they fought so hard to establish, but had not ‘conquered’ their respective “curses” (it is called internalizing lessons, which was the point of ‘killing Giles’ in season eight—a natural sign of a female child internalizing the (social) lessons of the father, and naturally, it had to be Angel to do it as he is the LOVER, the sign of independence to form one’s own familty, that had been truncated and denied in not dealing with the Angel/us curse, for example. (And in the face of a goddess/witch who knows every working curse has its answer within it, I just can’t even believe the narrative merrily ‘skips over’ this fact with some wave of the hands that no one can “break it”. JKMN).

They have no intention of dealing with ‘the curse” and, worse, all that feminism is chucked out the door in the submission of Buffy, still with slayer powers, in a patriarchal order, while Buffy besmirches Faith’s independence to recognize following all rules at the point of a gun is hardly the independent, yet cooperative nature of females/feminism. Need I point out that transformation was often shown with “fire?” Yeah, there is a clue, for a female to break all the conventions of male “strength” in actually “saving people.”

Buffy’s independence was in her BALANCE of family and in the creation of her own and that means Angel. Period. That further means actually “dealing” with the problems that were between them. And Buffy sleeping with another vampire in a “sane mind” is beyond credulity whatsoever, especially when it was done with ‘he really, really, geez, really and REALLY “lubs me.” That view of STALKING and dogging someone until they relent in the ‘great big glory of you” because ‘moving on’ doesn’t include any human being, including Xander, who is de facto JOSS, is simply amazingly poor ‘teaching’ about ‘self empowerment’ after rape and all other forms of loss of autonomy and even self-love. With the dependence upon and the use of the actual antagonist as the MIRACULOUS (HUMAN DRIVE supposedly vanquished in a master vampire) as “solution=redemption” to HIS pain (in an “all about Buffy” story) and then to also make HIS love “the cure” for one’s own pain with a great big boink does not track to “self empowerment).

Furthermore in this narrative, threre once was a reason Buffy chose an immortal vampire (albeit with a soul) in the first place; and THAT in a nutshell is the path out toward the mutual goals of ‘maturity’ aka “becoming.” It is in the “duality” of paradox between these two that has actually been “shown” to be where the answers have to lie.

Therefore, more stories about the slayer, still living in a world of autonomous demons (not internalized demons that are in all humans struggling to learn) is simply an adolescent at age 30 who completely thinks that “independence” is in holding a job, while actually depending on “family” for room and board in times of unemployment. So the point of being a slayer is completely lost, as well.

I appreciate your desire for Angel to be dragged back into Buffy’s life as if merely the first love she simply can’t ever forget, but I saw a much greater story, and I do mean “epic” story, that simply will never be answered because anything after it de facto must be “another story.”

I thought this one was a myth that the modern person could appreciate—especially because the ‘horror story’ always has an agenda and “becoming” was “it” as a constant change (paradox)—whatever gender and whatever kind of sexuality, toward learning and self empowerment, with an eye on the highest connections people have in love and in death—both as complexities and as absolutes.

I was in hopes the “reboot” would do the story right, but it promises the awfulness of the triangle,BAS, as well. Which is why Illyria/Fred and Angel in union is exactly the same “stuck’ horror of becoming/beating god and screwing his sister that began as Liam. So bored now.
HUGS!
sybil
dcai0830
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite what some fans would have you believe, there is no grand love story between Illyria and Angel. Angel is not confessing his undying love to Illyria by saying he will wait for her to fight the army of hell and then go and get her.

Angel was willing to sacrifice his life for Darla in the Trial, he was willing to risk never being able to return to this dimension to save Cordelia from Pylea, those women were important to Angel but there is no denying that they were not to him what Buffy was. If you accept comics as canon then Angel himself tells you in s8 that Buffy is the only woman he has ever known happiness with. The fact that Angel will go and get Illyria from hell just means he is still Angel.

We see no love story between Illyria and Angel. They are played in s12 entirely for laughs. I don't doubt that I'm suppose to read that they care for each other but it is a far stretch for any reader or fan of Angel to believe that this is the GREAT LOVE of Angel's life. When we saw absolutely no evidence of it.

At the end of s12, Illyria has gone to hell (nevermind the whole Fred thing as apparently the comic book writers gave 0 craps about that) and Illyria has told Angel not to follow her and to KNOW happiness. Happiness for Angel = Buffy. The fact that Angel chooses to stay with Buffy is a BIG step. It leaves the door wide open for them.

Whereas Illyria and Angel had whatever relationship they had and Illyria left him and asked him not to follow. Whereas Buffy and Spike tried and mutually decided that their relationship did not work. Angel and Buffy have never had the opportunity to explore their feelings for each other without external obstacles tearing them apart.

Season 8 was a living metaphor for the fact that what Buffy and Angel want most in their lives is to be with each other but the tragedy is that their desire to be with each other leads to the end of the world. Now that they are back together without the threat of the world ending over their heads (assuming they could figure out the curse) I think that of the different potential relationship pairings that are possible (as it was an open-ended finale) theirs is the one that has the most fertile land to explore.

Can you imagine Buffy and Angel trying to work together and not being attracted to each other? Not developing feelings for each other? I mean literally try for a second to envision SMG playing Buffy and DB playing Angel and being in the same room and not having that electric chemistry that always exists between them two.

"oh yeah you two... just friends."
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I happen to agree with you re Angel’s supposed romances—always, always shown as some alternative realties, e.g. journeys within the actual psyche—see Dru, see Cordelia, see Fred, the mythical repercussions are in ‘the dark wife’ versus the woman actually loved and even promised should he be worthy of her.

So, yeah, I do agree with you in the story that I thought I was seeing. However, the great hero Angel just “staying” in some proximity with Buffy, is not the necessary “big step.” Buffy is indeed looking at some sort of future, but Angel is, EXACTLY as you say: The same.

The world ending is EXACTLY what has to happen or death, has to be the reality of these ‘incarnations’ of self for the ‘renewed and renewing self. (the end of childhood in favor of responsible independence; what I felt was the main theme of the story: that “becoming” (an adult) as achievement, but also is a life long pursuit: paradox.

I was so hopeful in season eight. (all the fantabulous transformations of Durga to Parvati in the marriage to Shiva—all this happens within self, of course) I can see how too many flaws destroyed Angel, and began with the FACT Angel could never hide his identity from Buffy, as she knew him as a vampire and as a human, so the premise never worked, regarding Twilight; We all know Angel is built on the premise no one hurts Buffy; Angel would choose hell before harming Buffy. I mean this plot that she needs to get her mind right through violence, violation and torture by the beloved? What sick F**K thinks this stuff up? People who think Spuffy is “hot” that’s who. And it actually wasn’t the “rape metaphor’ that is puke worthy. It is the bungled mess that makes Buffy male, beating up on a “female” Spike, and then HE is the one who gets miraculous redemption with a soul, while Buffy NEVER NEVER AND I REPEAT NEVER got her own power back in understanding that NONE OF THESE PEOPLE can make her see that SHE is choosing to let this “forever moment” shape every single choice thereafter INCLUDING the continual misogynistic loss of personal autonomy by this “family of friends.” The heck?

The courtship and marriage of Buffy and Angel cannot take place until that third death. That part has to be another story, even if we are shown a finale of real choice, knowing and accepted consequence, that may mean Buffy and Angel choose their devotion and to make that “dance across death” JOYFULLY. They should both be MOVING. NOT FALLING HELPLESSLY.

Hey, it’s called “story” and I didn’t write the rules; Joss did, but he chose “stasis” IMO. Angel IS the same; Buffy is perfectly still, the same as Spike was at the end of season seven. Oh, yippy. Never mind Angel and Spike are now “besties”. REALLY? And Dawn? My teeth dissolved in the sugar. Connor…Connor WHO? In San Francisco where he actually lives? REALLY? And, BTW, Illyria was a male god, who stole Fred’s body which farts soulness, I guess.

I am sorry, but I need to empty the bucket on “just more” for more’s sake, and do it while I have the dry heaves.

I hoped the reboot would actually dare to do the story, but that’s totally ridiculous because Joss never really did know what to do with Angel and it so shows. That is why ATS is such a mess and shift in Angel’s actual problems. He can’t decide to be an atheist and call it a day. Time used to be a character in this ditty, as well.

And with Joss, I have to note his cynicism, his distrust of humans to actually have character, not just be a character as shown in his favorite play ‘As you like it.’ I prefer “The Tempest.” Different folks’ strokes!

Be well, my dearings,
HUGS
sybil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: