Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What book do you think would make a great film?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> The Library
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: What book do you think would make a great film? Reply with quote

Many good books have been turned into films, but there are still an awful lot of books around.

What book do you think would make a great film?

"Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."
ljgould
Forum Guardian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you how many books I've read and though, "Wow. That would make a great movie!"

Unfortunately, I've been disappointed more times than I've been pleased. Usually, it's because I disagree with the casting or because the script is awful or because it's difficult, if not impossible, to take a 400 page book and turn it into a two hour movie.

I guess I've been disappointed too many times, so I've given up thinking in terms of movies.
cluelessangel85
Chosen One

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

practically any book I've read Laughing

I would love to see The Mortal Instruments series, The Evernight Academy series and The Immortals series made into movies. I love the Harry Potter movies and the Twilight movies, and I recently read that the rights for another book I love, The Host, have been sold so yay.

The only problem is they always miss something out when they make a movie, the books are always better.

'Always'
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess I've been disappointed too many times, so I've given up thinking in terms of movies.

Yes, it's actually a bit worrying when they bring out a film of a favourite book because it's never shown in the way that you think of it.

Quote:
The only problem is they always miss something out when they make a movie, the books are always better.

Well, it's a different medium so to a certain extent they have to interpret it differently - as well as leave stuff out.

Also - to all you avid book readers, don't forget you are welcome to review books on this board. Just make sure to put 'review' or 'spoilers' or something in the title so everyone knows. Smile

"Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally thought of a couple books I'd like to see turned into movies-- well, actually they're both trilogies, but they wouldn't necessarily need to be three movies each.

First is the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb-- mostly because it's got a lot of animals, but I also think it might be one of those rare pieces of literature that could actually be improved by turning into another medium. It's in the first person, and the narration can get a little clunky because of that.

Second is the Space trilogy by C.S. Lewis, and I can pretty much guarantee that this is never going to happen. Somehow I just don't see modern audiences feeling the love for sci-fi with a (fairly heavy-handed) Christian theme. It would look awesome, though. The worlds that the first two books are set on are very unusual, and the artists working on it would probably go nuts over the visuals.[/i]
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm...I love sci fi so any sci fi book that I have loved would do me for a movie.

A few crime novels too, those with a bent to the supernatural that I have read would be good.

But as LJ has said, we've been sadly disappointed when a book is turned into a movie. It has to have the right director, and the author on board with any changes.
spartan72
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peeps by Scott Westerfeld. Its a vampire-like novel that makes it more like a disease for cannibalism. Its an amazing book and when I was reading it I could literally "see" it in my head as if it were a movie screen.
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been meaning to get back in here and revive this thread for a while now. Has anyone read the Earthsea trilogy by Ursula K. LeGuin? The three books are A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, and The Farthest Shore.

They're classic fantasy that I somehow missed for most of my life (I read the first one when I was young, but it faded fast), and they seem to be forgotten to some degree by the rest of the culture as well. They were fantastic books, full of the mythological tradition but innovative as well, not too long and not too difficult for young readers, and I think they'd make incredible movies.

The main character of the first book is Ged, a sorcerer in training, and the next two are from the perspectives of young people whose lives he touched in his travels. The reader gets to see him as both the familiar bumbling hero on a quest, and the wise leader who inspires a sense of awe. It doesn't take long to love him, and he has a few quirky ways that would make him stand out from the standard wizard of Hollywood.

What really got me thinking about how great these books would be on film is the setting. Even though so many fantasy tropes are in play - dragons, world in peril, peasants at war - the cultures we see aren't at all modeled on medieval Europe or any other place and time in history that usually gets romanticized in fiction. Ged's a black guy, and he's not African, he's of a primitive island culture of goat-herders. Other characters come from backgrounds that are likewise unique.

Visually it would be stunning; lots of beautiful wilderness and cities, made-up creatures, dramatic spells. The only thing that might not translate well to the big screen is the setting of the second book - some important scenes take place in pitch darkness, which is rather important to the plot. Maybe that would just make it cheaper to film, though. Smile

What do you think? Will these books ever have a chance to be adapted? And has anyone heard anything about Studio Ghibli doing an animated version?
Arthur
Mortal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: A portrait of an artist Reply with quote

James Joyce novel would become a very good movie.. I would love to make one myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> The Library All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: