Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pop Culture
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emmy award
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also a whole bunch of Harry Potter references:

"We're going to the Magic Box. No school supplies there."
"Yeah, Mom. I'm not going to Hogwarts."

--Dawn and Buffy in The Real Me

"I came here expecting you to kill me. Instead you go all Dumbledore on me."

--Willow in Lessons

"Bad guys have cool names, like Voldemort or Lex."

--Andrew, in some season seven episode.

Moving on from the Harry Potter stuff, there's so many geek references in season six and seven, it's almost impossible to list, but they include Star Trek, Dragon Ball Z, Star Wars and Godzilla. Plus there's a bit in Intervention when Xander refers to Glory's minions as 'hobbits with leprosy.'

There's so many more than this, I know; this is just the tip of the iceberg. However, it's all that I can think of right now. Need sleep.

-- Emma
S J Smith
Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cordy refers to Angel as a "Care Bear with Fangs" in the Halloween episode of BtVS, season 2.

Oz's band, "Dingoes Ate My Baby" from (a) the movie (b) the Australian case against the parents who may or may not have killed their child (I don't remember how the case played out).

Icon By Mzz Goddess Blue
emmy award
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just look at episode titles, you can get the pop culture references.

The Thin Dead Line - obviously a play on the title of the movie The Thin Red Line. I haven't seen either, so I don't know if there's any significance beyond that, but it's all there in the title.

Beauty and the Beasts - the fairytale Beauty and the Beast, in which the Beauty tamed the Beast.

When She Was Bad - that poem about a littl girl that I have no idea who wrote - 'When she was good she was very very good/When she was bad she was horrid.'

Where the Wild Things Are - cult children's book. I remember reading it in pre-school.

No Place Like Home, Over the Rainbow, There's No Place Like Plrtz Glrb - Wizard of Oz, and in Over the Rainbow, I think Cordy clicks her heels together just like Dorothy in a bid to try and return home.

Through the Looking Glass - reference to Alice Through the Looking-Glass, my favourite out of the two Alice stories.

The Yoko Factor - reference to Yoko Ono, the woman who supposedly broke up the Beatles.

Apocalypse, Nowish - reference to movie Apocalypse Now. There's also a way more detailed use of this movie in Restless with Xander's dream sequence.

Into the Woods - there's a musical of the same name.

Something Blue - from that old wedding rhyme in reference to what women should wear when they get married; 'Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.'

Shiny, Happy, People - that R.E.M. song

Sense and Sensitivity - obviously a play on Jane Austen's 'Sense and Sensibility'.

I Robot - You Jane - play on the expression 'I Tarzan - You Jane' taken from Tarzan.

There are a few more, but I'm way too tired to remember them. There's also a heap of things that I've now remembered from within the episodes, but I figure I'll leave a gap of about twenty-four hours before I post again. Very Happy
bonnaleah
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled across this little gem today while surfing youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nv8Y4u0OAQ
Grace Newman
Chosen One

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was so fun to watch, bonnaleah!

I like Rory Gilmore talking about BtVS because, as has been mentioned in another thread, Alexis Bledel ended up marrying Connor (well, Vincent Kartheiser, hee) and I think they have a kid now.

There was another Buffy reference on the "Gilmore Girls" revival that came out last fall. Rory's friend Paris yells at one of her employees: "Apologize to your parents. Tell them you'll pay them back for the two semesters you spent studying Buffy the Vampire Slayer’s effect on the feminist agenda."

And it's probably an in-joke because Paris is married to a character played by Danny Strong (Jonathan on Buffy).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: