Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's your favourite book?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> The Library
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: What's your favourite book? Reply with quote

All right, to get our new forum rolling... why don't you tell us what your favourite book is, and why you love it?

"Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."
cluelessangel85
Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a book worm

I am guilty of falling into the Twilight trap. the series really is good even if the vampires do sparkle *shakes head* I still think that's odd

I also love The Host by Stephanie Meyer, The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare, The Immortals series by Alyson Noel and the Evernight Academy series by Claudia Gray. I also love The Argenue Vampires series by Lynsay Sands and I've also read the Harry Potter series.

Notice a pattern in my taste in books Laughing (all are supernaturally based)

oh I also religiously add to my collection of harlequin mills and book romance novels especially the nocturne ones and I love books by Mary Higgins Clark
Very Happy

you were warned about the book worm thing

Next on my list of books to get, The Vampire Diaries and The Night World series

'Always'
Leni
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorites are the classics. I'm particularly fond of Dickens (angst and happy-ish endings, yay!). But throw me about anything written before 1900 and chances are I'll like it.

But in titles... The Count of Monte Cristo was an eye-opener both to characterisation and to the fact that you didn't need a happy ending to have an amazing story. Last year, I even watched the anime based on that book - not as good, but I liked it.

Then of course Gone With The Wind, which will be forever loved because it was my key to fandom.

And finally, more contemporary stuff: Anne Bishop and her Black Jewels series - the style is not so good, but once you're in the second book, you can't help but bond with the characters. And what lacks in finesse, she makes up in a good show of the warm relationships between her characters. Frankly, I like better her last books. Maybe because she's had more practice, but I feel her writing (and the general characterisation!) a lot more secure after the first trilogy.

JACQUELINE CAREY and her Kushiel's Legacy series.

When my writing dies and is reborn, it wants to be closer to hers. I love JC's books - all six of them are brim full of adventure, and her main characters are... omg!delicious. Like I always say, it's a book with high overtones of S&M and I don't like S&M - and yet I'm in LOVE with her books.
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm...I have so many authors I love. I read a heck of a lot and cannot remember what I've read or not until I bring a book home and find I have read it. Don't you just hate that?

Anyway, my fav. has always been science fiction and fantasy, anything supernatural, as in supernatural thrillers and the like.

Currently I'm working my way through crime books.

Jonathon Kellerman writes a mean psychological thriller and I love his Alex Dellaware hero.

JA Kerley's crime series about an Alabama detective - he and his partner solve those special crimes, the weird ones that no one else wants.

Alan Campbell's series about angels and demons and set in another world. I started with Iron Angel.

RM Meluch writes the best science fiction characters and battles I have read. Her Merrimack series is awesome. I have my 20s something son reading her.

Terry Goodkind and his Sword of Truth books is amazing. Fantasy.

Stephen Booth's series of crime novels set in the Peak District in the UK is brilliant.

And James Clemens is another great fantasy writer. Lord of the Rings type novels.

And CJ Cherryh writes brilliant sci-fi and fantasy. I lover her Foreigner series (sci-fi) and her Fortress series. (Fantasy)
ljgould
Forum Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, am a bookworm. Even when working on my doctorate, I read novels. I think it was the only thing that kept me sane. (Shut up, Ares! Very Happy )

I started reading science fiction and fantasy in junior high, and I've read most of the classics since then. I got so into it that for years I went to WorldCon or any SciFi convention I could find. It was great for meeting authors.

Over the years, my tastes have changed. Now I tend to read more mysteries and non-fiction. But there are still some authors that I dearly love.

I love the Dresden books. The idea of a magician in the Yellow Pages is just too funny. I've read the Vampire Diaries, but wasn't overly impressed. I love the Sookie Stackhouse books, but hate the TV show. I refuse, absolutely refuse, to read the Twilight books. I love the Hitchhiker's Guide books. I also love the Lord of the Rings. I enjoy the Pern series and many other books by Anne McCaffrey. Bradley's Darkover books are also favorites. I still love the Foundation books by Asimov. I started with hard science fiction, and still enjoy it.

I read the Spenser books, and almost anything that Robert B Parker writes. I also love anything by Janet Evanovich. I love the Midnight Louie books. Both of the Kellermans are on my favorite authors list.

I read also read biographies, true crime, histories, and anything on anthropology/archeology.

Amazon.com loves me.

I don't read romance, westerns, self-help or self-improvement.

Right now, I have Craig Fergeson's autobiography, the latest Scarpetta novel, the new Hitchhiker's Guide (not by Douglass Adams), a young adult novel by Diane, and The Lost Symbol, and I, Alex Cross by my bed for the end of the semester. I hope the new Grafton book gets here before long so I can add it to the pile.

December 9th cannot come soon enough.
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? What did I say? *innocent look* Laughing

I love the Dresden books too. Didn't like the show but the books are excellent.

Oooooh! You like Kellerman too. I've just read their son's book. Very well done.

You're not missing anything with the Twilight books. Written for teenage girls, romance, blech! I, too, won't read romance or self-help books, nor westerns, although there is Stephen King's The Dark Tower series which is sort of like a western, but not. Set in another world(s) with Gunslingers as the heroes and champions, knights, really. I do like those.

The Pern books I love. I grew up with those - yes, I'm still growing. There's something about dragons that draws me in.

I love Asimov and his Foundation series. We seem to have similar tastes.

I forgot to mention I do like some of Anne Rice. Not all, but most of her early work.
ljgould
Forum Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed Anne Rice's vampire books, but I've never liked any of her other books. I love Stephen King -- especially The Stand.

I haven't read Kellerman Jr.'s book, but I may since you think it's well done.

Strangely enough, there are very few books that I actively dislike. I can usually find something worthwhile in almost anything.
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't recall the name of J Kellerman's book, I think his name is Josh, Jake? Oh, it's Jesse. (I had to go and Google it) Anyway, it's a detective story, only the person doing the detecting is an art dealer. His style took a bit of getting used to but I stuck with it and loved it. Also, first person, which I love.

Have you read Anne Rice's Blackwood Farm? A huge book and one I couldn't put down. It's a vampire book with a difference.
ljgould
Forum Guardian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name of Kellerman kid duely noted.

Haven't read Blackwood Farm. I sort of gave up on her after the last Lestat book.

The length of books doesn't bother me at all. I took a speed reading course years ago, and it seldom takes me long to read even a very long book. If a book really catches my interest, I'll finish it in one sitting.

I think that's why I have so many books. Laughing One of my friends, who reads almost as fast as I do said we should open a used book store. We'd never have to buy inventory.
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh!!! I speed read as well. And I didn't have to go on a course, either. I have always been a fast reader. And I have to have a bag of books by my bed. I think I read on average 25 books a month. When I've been ill I've read 3 a day. I set myself up with an online order form for the local library last time I was convalescing. I ran out of books and Bruce and Gareth had to run to the library to pick up the ones I reserved on line. It's a great free service.

I have two bookshelves that are groaning and books are stacked on the floor in the study. I buy books as well as borrow them. And when I go away I always take 3 books with me and I still end up bringing back extras.

I'm fortunate that my sis-in-law is as a voracious a reader as I am. And we like the same books so we always compare notes.

There's nothing better than lying in bed, a cat on your chest, feet, legs, whatever, and a book in hand. :0)

Give Blackwood Farm a go. You'll love it.
ljgould
Forum Guardian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll give it a go. I've got to run some errands tomorrow, so I'll see if I can find a copy.

Several years ago, I counted the books in the house. I quit counting at 14,087 when I realized I still had eight boxes under the various beds in the house. Of course, some are textbooks -- gotta love those publishers who give them to you for free.

When I'm not teaching, I read four or five books a week. When I'm teaching I may not read at all (THIS SEMESTER!) because I'm too busy or too tired. I hate not having my time to read.

My cats aren't conducive to reading. They like to play with the books. Natty's a paper whore -- she'll nibble on the corners while I try to read.
cluelessangel85
Chosen One

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*pokes tongue* I stand alone

I agree with you LJ my cat likes to play with my book while I'm trying to read she wont leave me alone, all attention must be on her.

'Always'
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well!! I'm in awe. 14,000 books far exceed my lot. I have boxes of books in storage. But I'm nowhere near your numbers. It sounds like you read as much as I do when not teaching. I must admit it gets in the way of my writing.

Ares likes to smooch my books, she sits on my chest and I have to hold the book above her head to read, otherwise she pushes it aside or chews the pages. My husband rolls his eyes and tells me to push the cat off. As if!!!

If I am reading on my laptop, she walks across the keys or sits on the keys. I think she wants attention. Rolling Eyes

Cats! Just as well we love them.

Pokes tongue, Clueless? Laughing
ljgould
Forum Guardian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whispers to Ares: Maybe Clueless is talking about the Twilight books...

Last week I had an online chat with my online class. Natty jumped in my lap and stood on the keyboard. Then she managed to hit the enter key! The class found that quite funny. I think she uses the computer when I'm at work to communicate with an underground network of cats who are planning to overthrow humans.
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I roared with laughter! Jeez, don't mention the Twilight books...

Sorry, Clueless, we love you, babe. Heart

I think all cats must be computer whizzes. Everytime my hubby goes to a customer's house that has a cat, the feline is all over the computer and keyboard he is trying to work on. (He loves it too, but is too manly to say so.)

Ares has actually perfected the art of skipping across the keys without pushing Send. I don't know how she does it, all 6 kilos of her.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> The Library All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: