Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cangel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> B/A Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Buffy was just screaming how in love with Angel she was in trying so hard to not want what she couldn't have in all that fumbly in high school—Owen the adventurer, Scott Hope the tender and romantic, who didn’t even understand his own sexuality, Riley the “perfect” who wasn’t perfect for Buffy and HE always knew it. How terrible for the “other guy” trying to find what Buffy already has, always knew she had and the fact she is just as cursed as Angel in being denied him.

I don’t honestly think that Buffy loving her family, accepting their lovers with respect, if not love or deep friendship, was clear enough. I really didn’t need to see her start using people clearly in love with her, as if her not love was this great consolation prize—which she herself has suffered from the very beginning from her “dates” in high school. Her high enjoyment of sex to medicate other issues was never lost on me; and she isn’t that stupid that she had not already learned that. Further, her bi curiosity because of her enjoyment of oral sex with a minimum of 200 potential gay women in her army, being spent with the one single person who is culturally and emotionally silent and therefore in pain was unwarranted. I fully understand the love Willow had for Oz THE PERSON that made his genital arrangement not the point, just as Scott Hope thought the emotional goodness Buffy always offers, no matter how down she is, was a tenderness and affection of a romance Scott thought more important than worrying about the fact he actually thought the body of a man was more pleasing. Especially young guys always invested in advertising sexual prowess and power to hide ignorance in both.

To me, her attempts to find someone after Angel was NOTHING but trying to medicate the pain of NOT being able to reconcile her love for him with her duty to the world, and to deal with their metaphysical reality that is all tied up in the curse. Angel’s vampirism is not an issue, for his mortality has already been shown to be possible, more than once in Joss’s realm and has to do with Angel’s perceptions of himself. He literally “killed” the man Liam to escape his pain and his reactions to it, just as Buffy was “called” when her father chose another girl (around her age) over her and over his wife—he cheated, to boot.

Joss was really going for the fairy tale ending of a quite human Buffy and Xander to be the couple of “full circle” at the end of the tale. Because Buffy is the fairy tale, her ‘mate’ couldn’t be a vampire, without creating the reason the good girl could choose the enemy. Angel was merely a herald to fight the master. Like a Holden. Then the chemistry happened and enter Angel with a soul.

That is why I always knew Dawn, who is “human” Buffy would end up with Xander (and need we forget that IWRY happened nine months before, so Buffy had to die for both sex and motherhood as that standard replay, besides all the other beautiful and satisfying twists of her learning, solving her paradoxes within her own insight for action given within the episode of “the Gift.”—why I just can’t wrap my brains around a Buffy regressed as deeply as we have been given that has been described as OOC—Joss ignoring his own canon—which he has stated is worth it for the sake of the opportunity to produce a good story. Yes, we saw Buffy steal, but free will, self determination were also her skill set in double shifts AND slaying AND providing for family. If character is action, this girl had both in spades. That is why I see the whole army as the response of an “army of her” to confront being totally overwhelmed ever since Giles left. Angel broke her heart, but Giles left.

I have no idea why Buffy is the sex addict, Willow is the magic addict, Angel is the “alcoholic,” and Spike can’t get off the teat—all describing Buffy. I mean, people do a little of a lot of things to ‘medicate pain,’ including talking with each other. Ha! I miss that stuff between the scoobs most.

With all that talent in her family from Giles, Willow, Dawn even—actually able to read and interpret the “lost” and “magical,” I just can’t comprehend a. this Buffy who doesn't do what is expected to NOT find the solution to the curse that demands sacrifice of the self; b. this usurious Buffy, giving her “not love” to someone who has encountered what she already knows she has with Angel. I don’t understand this “weakness” in emotional comprehension that Joss insists is her condition to sexually ‘suck her thumb.’

And then to flirt with Xander’s deep love for an especially pathetic Buffy in some ‘congrats, you deserve me now’ award—I was gobsmacked—when the solution was to actually find the very ritual seen in season 8 and FINISH it. No sentient universe/twilight beastie a ala Jasmine need apply to just ONE MORE TIME punish both sex and motherhood—Angel was the mother, actually)

Shoulder to shoulder is EXACTLY what would have happened FOR ALL OF THE SLAYERS already engaged in it, not to mention, the “kitchen sink of stink” finales Joss uses in every single project. Why? Because the ritual is to see each of us is everyman, each of is the world, the potential of the world, even as they see the suffering of those who don’t see all man is family and we all have our demons that make us suffer and act badly, not some person as the enemy. They BOTH feel life, the world is their family, even as they find source, comfort, resource within each other to celebrate it. That is a healthy, happy adult. They would also both be humans. Spike can go off and save Dru (ugh) or lose his soul and be interesting again. After all, the truth teller, poet and story teller has to have the last word. But neeeoooowwwhhh.

In short, everyone learns love has many faces—especially when you know their story—and that makes love good, even if it is different. However, all the different loves possible are NOT the ONLY couple who has survived everything thrown at it, grown with the changes each has integrated within their personalities, and that the questions raised in questions of identity, purpose, meaning, self worth, loss, death, pain and change, sexuality, sexual “intimacy” re their souls and their demons is answered in the other.

I have no idea why being told “you must love me, because I want you” is attractive to all the other ships, or even browbeating punishment for the audience that something like Cangel is high destiny when neither of the people saw more than skin deep ‘pretty’ in proximal space, but not enough to spare even a look to say that much—because they already KNEW each other’s stories and settled the issue. Respect your characters or really annihilate them for a good purpose other than to boost sagging ratings because “mars needs women.”

And we know, that to survive all this not "it" we have seen, Joss really is indeed saying B/A really is "it," and the unattainable "can happen" when pure love, true love IS what happens. I love that everything that is opposite about them and should be a deal breaker is exactly why they fit so perfectly!
Hugs!
sybil
taaroko
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing nobody's mentioned yet that I think is rather telling about Angel/Cordy is how little Angelus cared about hurting Cordelia in Angel S4 versus how obsessed he was with Buffy in BtVS S2. If Angel's love for Cordy was at all comparable to his love for Buffy, it would have shown through Angelus.
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taaroko wrote:
One thing nobody's mentioned yet that I think is rather telling about Angel/Cordy is how little Angelus cared about hurting Cordelia in Angel S4 versus how obsessed he was with Buffy in BtVS S2. If Angel's love for Cordy was at all comparable to his love for Buffy, it would have shown through Angelus.

Great point! Angelus was visibly disappointed when he realized that the Slayer in town was Faith and not Buffy.
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye. It's all about the passion - for Angelus, sadism is love inverted, and it's always proportional.
Kean
Chosen One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racheltng wrote:
taaroko wrote:

Great point! Angelus was visibly disappointed when he realized that the Slayer in town was Faith and not Buffy.

Personally, I thought he was a little relieved that he wouldn't have to face Buffy again. He seemed to me to view Faith as the less threatening opponent.
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question "When did Angel start loving Cordy?" just got posed on BuffyBoards, and I thought I'd share my answer with you guys.

I think he loves her at least as early as "To Shanshu in L.A.", and her friendship becomes much more important to him after he's done with his dark phase, but he's never *in* love with her. I just watched seasons one through four again in the last couple of months, and I couldn't see anything convincingly non-platonic about them pretty much ever. I think that if they had actually met in "Tomorrow", it would have started out all romantic, and then it would have been like a balloon popping or something as they both realize that this romance thing is just a bunch of hype everyone else expects to happen between them, but that they don't actually feel. However, the expectation balloon never actually has a chance to get popped because he gets stuck in a box and she gets roped into a cosmic promotion scam and then body-jacked, so he's left in uncertainty until Cordy tells him they had been in love after all--only it's Jasmine!Cordy who says that, not the real Cordy. I don't believe the romance in "You're Welcome" either (which is probably part of why I like the episode). I think that on his part, it was euphoria over her being back and having someone who understands his whole situation, and on hers it was a need to make the most of her last day on earth.
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taaroko wrote:
I don't believe the romance in "You're Welcome" either (which is probably part of why I like the episode). I think that on his part, it was euphoria over her being back and having someone who understands his whole situation, and on hers it was a need to make the most of her last day on earth.

To put it in their own words :

Quote:

CORDELIA
(looks down)
Guess we missed our moment, huh?

ANGEL
Maybe we were meant to. Or maybe people like us just don't get to...have that.

Where Cordelia admits that the moment was lost - meaning that on her part nothing truly commendable happened before on the romantic front - I never deny they had a wonderful tender friendship that to her maybe meant more than any of her romances - except maybe with Doyle. See, all Cordelia romances were cut short - maybe because 'she' indeed was never meant to have. it. Fated and all.

On Angel's part though - I think he is playing it up to her - because he cannot but know that he had already 'had it' once ( people like him and Buffy do fit in the Champions category ) , so he is obviously not telling it all, not wanting to distress her.

If you add to this the scene from the Chosen - right after the end of S4 with Cordelia in a coma and the kiss - you feel seriously sorry for Cordy for being used like this by the writers... but you also realize that Angel's feelings for Cordelia are always on par with Buffy's feelings for her Scoobs - there is passion screaming and then there is another kind of love - that is no less precious but not primal.
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, the expectation balloon never actually has a chance to get popped because he gets stuck in a box and she gets roped into a cosmic promotion scam and then body-jacked, so he's left in uncertainty until Cordy tells him they had been in love after all--only it's Jasmine!Cordy who says that, not the real Cordy.

That was pretty much a perfect sentence.

Good find from dorotea, too. Makes me wonder if Cordy's whole life was aimed at the eventuality of being raised to an agent of the PTBs.
angelsbuffy4ever
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: what bothers me about Cangel Reply with quote

So I thought it'd be nice to throw my two cents in about Cangel, even though this topic has certainly settled down.

The idea of Cangel just makes me go crazy and my insides scream out "WHY?!". I had to analyze my frustration with it, and I've pretty much come down to the irritation that Cordy has vied for Angel from the start, making their relationship more of a competition than a natural love, despite the writers' attempts to evolve her character over the seasons.

It all started with her shameless appraisal of him in "Never Kill A Boy on the First Date" with "Hello, Salty Goodness!" Also her clear interest in Angel in "Some Assembly Required" when she insisted that he accompany her home. Also, her jealousy that Angel is caught up in Buffy's arrival in "I Will Remember You". For her to tell Buffy that "You can't have Angel and save the world!" and how she visciously told Buffy that "When it comes to dating, I"M the slayer". Cordelia disapproves of Buffy and Angel, but wants Angel to herself? That doesn't sound like champion to me, that sounds like selfish...

Cordelia's evolution is forced. Her character is naturally someone selfish, practical, and demeaning. Her opinions are said aloud, uncensored, hence she is the comedy, not the love interest. We are led to believe that she is now a warrior, a champion, destined etc., but then of course we see snippets of the old Cordy, with her love of fine things and compliments to Eve's Manolo Blahnik shoes. Cordelia is still herself under the surface, she has just learned to say the right things in front of the right people.

To me, the inconsistency in her character just shows me how much the studios forced Cangel upon us. I find it ironic that Wesley and Cordy mock Angel's intensity for Buffy, when by the end of the series Wesley has assumed an Angel-like soulmate love for Fred. Meanwhile Cordelia has taken the role of Buffy-like love in her goodbye to Angel in "You're Welcome".

I wondered to myself if I could see Angel with someone else, and I truthfully think that I might be more open if the woman they brought in was worthy of his affection. Couldn't he at least have been paired with someone more genuine in her feelings for him? Someone new, with little history of Buffy and Sunnydale? Because in my mind, if you've seen the Angel from Buffy seasons 1-3 you'd be honest enough to your own heart to steer clear of Angel. Because his soul cannot belong to anyone else's , it belongs to Buffy.

Meanwhile, I have always been amazed that Buffy has never thrown Cordelia into his face. It is almost like she wisely rebuffs him, never caving in to being the jealous ex like Angel usually is portrayed to be when it comes to Spike. Instead, she allows him his freedoms, the free will to let him choose how he wants to spend the rest of his life. And we get our answer years later in Season 8 when he is the one who tells her that they cannot be happy with anyone else. Pushing Twilight's actions aside, I find it incredible how much Angel is willing to throw everyone out in the cold to be alone with Buffy as the Adam and Eve of a new dimension. Forgoing even his own son to this dimension, Angel's loyalty to Buffy is one tracked. It is both tragic and merciless to leave us helpless, but he loves her that much.

So yes, Buffy is amazingly tactful. Or the writers choose to let Buffy not address it because they know if Buffy brings up her insecurities, Angel will tell her just like he did in "Earshot" that she is the only one. And that would make the whole Angel/Cordy thing they tried to build up look like a sandcastle demolished in a tsunami. They wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot like THAT.

Thanks for the read guys, looking forward to input if you have any. Embarassed
“Maybe we've lived a thousand lives before this one and in each of them we've found each other... I know I've spent each life before this one searching for you. Not someone like you but you, for your soul and mine must always come together.”
- Nicholas Sparks
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with restarting a conversation. I just lost my very long discussion here. It went somewhere than here. *sigh*

I think of Cordy as Angel's best friend. A sister figure in his life.

All along Cordy had been reminding Angel not to get groiny with anyone, to stay away from loving someone. And then later on that went out the window.

I think it was all Jasmine-induced. Cordy loved Groo and then she was tricked into thinking she loved Angel romantically.

I do think she loved him as a person, someone in her heart.

People do love more than one person in their lifetime and Angel has a longer lifetime than anyone. I think he can love another, but his true love will always be Buffy.

Ares
aradia
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing always I wonder is why the hell the writers played the card CA so strangely? I mean, I see an increasing affection and concern Angel has for Cordelia, at least from To Shanshu in LA on Belonging (Do you remember his despair when she was sucked in the portal? Not only friendship, in my opinion).

The writers could choose to increase this friendship and allow it to become love, but instead they chose the awkward way. Suddenly, Fred popped out blurting about Moira and Angel bought it? Then Groo told Cordelia the same thing, an image of herself appeared and Cordelia bought it? I really can't understand.

I mean, they are smart writers: why the hell they chose to develop this story in this unbelievable way?
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give anything to know the "back stage story" that really ran things on this show. Seriously. It wasn't just Doyle's death and David Boreanaz knee. It reached a head when David Greenwalt, JOss's mentor, was fired, then various writers were show runners because Joss, of course, was off doing his new, great love "Firefly," M N was mightily give us all the reasons SHE needed a psychiatrist, and he would "visit" from the couch of the writer's room with ZERO contribution or to throw in "fixes" that completely sent the direction of the writing into complete chaos, "

Waiting in the Wings" as one of them, very early on, was a huge fix, to deal with the observation of Angel of "the sun that doesn't shine" over her heart shaped back side Greenwalt set up to be a REAL love affair and some sad reboot of B/A because Greenwalt really liked Charisma.

Joss gave the PTB of WB the sex they wanted for their main guy, as they didn't have the ratings of a Dawson's Creek for their revenue stream and we all know that WB ended up CW; and he showed by clever editing the reference to the "blooming onion" Spike liked to eat in the "food" of the forbidden--onion and garlic are relatives of orchids/lilies and we both know that these are female genitalia and resurrection--AND Joss did it all, under possession, to make the problem of the curse moot, not to mention as a farce, as he showed HOW to give the PTB what they want, show connections to Buffy, the PTB had denied even existed and would disallow even saying her name, and how to preserve HIS own vision of B/A that would allow Angel to CONFIRM that "his problem" in the curse, wasn't even about sex at all.

It was about himself, as "solved" in the true love mythology of the psychic journey of "male/female" principles: his metaphysical union (of self) as shown with Buffy.

In that episode, we saw in the crazy "Alice in Wonderland" exaggeration of "what was really behind the curtain" and all the embarrassment and clumsiness was stepped around as their personalities resumed their normal shape. However, that itself was subverted again, when Cordy fell for Groo, who was shown to be a completely innocent version of Angel. Her journey from shallow "material girl" to care about the mission was the point. But she failed to pass on the visions to Groo because of her own selfish interests in this romance NO ONE could follow between Angel and Cordy. And that is because diffeent writers were ALSO the show runners, trying to develop the arcs of telling the story.

It was supposed to be showing the "inappropiate" assignment of sexual lust on the body of his SISTER figure. You see, if you love a sibling, it is supposed to follow AUTOMATICALLY, if you are Angel, that you are going to seek its expression, not only spiritually, but in the drive to join (anima) on the persona of mounting tensions of those triggers of beauty, innocence, appreciation of her love and care for him, and thus sympathy to protect, and to be understood by, this person--all in the body. After all "the body" is the house where the demon lives and that makes him vampire and "wrong."

AND they "inserted" a demon into Cordy, like the soul makes you float, but she had a soul, so this power of floating by a demon was to make her more suitable to Angel's "parts" of demon and soul. However, they never bothered to explain what this demon floating does, until she floats up to this "room with a view" that is a TRAP, in the aether, where she can watch but can't "do" anything without a body.

WHY that all ran amok, is because FAITH is actually better suited to Angel than is Cordelia, in that she is the shadow side of Buffy, in being a slayer and in having a soul, but ALSO a "tarnished" one.

SHE is a sister figure, too, and, as much as fic liked to pair them up, usually in some grief over the loss of Buffy, Angel did not treat Faith as anything more than a sister. AND that is the only growth of Angel on the show; however, it also happened under "the Orpheus drug" as to her PYSCHOLOGICAL purpose, that of "female principle"-action" as the slayer, to get up and help Angel on the battlefield of his psyche. Which she did. OR you can take the entire episode as Faith's perception, and how Angel helped HER, by his encouragement, his soul persona to get up when it's hard, and fight, and he is "re-integrated" in his demon and soul parts, as is Faith to choose to not die, accept her sin and the struggle, return to life, as Wes knew her death was a risk, at the hands of Angelus, but in the "hell" of life, as the power of the drug to face the REAL underworld of the psyche, is its' power to offer "peace" and "an end" to struggle, aka death.

They are Apollo and Diana/Athena are the representations, in myth. She is a goddess of wisdom, skill in arts industry and war, of philosphy and of justice. Some actually DO give this goddess children, but not from Apollo, as her request from her father (Zeus)was to have the same fame as did her brother; and she is his favorite child. she is a guardian of mothers however--which is why she gets dragged back into Buffy's finale; and it all just feels rushed and awkward, but also suggests they are "pals" or at least forgiveness is the maturity to be recognized here in "the integrated Buffy at the accomplishment of her journey. Except I didn't buy that, either; it wasn't shown properly with her scoobs, just as Angel's story had an Oedipal construction , as Angel always builds, making himself "grand poobah" of the family, of course, specially now with the "rise of the god king" Illyria and the "mix of sister and mother" shown in Fred "staining" this new hybrid with the memories of Fred, to "grow a soul" indicating HE is not "baked cookies," and why he actually is still a vampire.

HUGS!
sybil
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RATS! I forgot to put in this link about ATHENA, which the first paragraph is trying to tell you THERE IS ONLY THE GODDESS, who has the son, without having the presence of father needed in the paternal system that was later established in ZEUS being that father from whom ATHENA sprang full formed and from his "head." BUT, you will see the use of Athena to accomplish all of this and how Orpheus, a favored of Athena, means "ANGEL was never there, only FAITH was."

http://www.goddess-athena.org/Athenaeum/Psychology/Athena/Erichthonius_divine_child_of_Athena.htm

AND, in case you wondered, the Amazon women of myth have been found "for real" and they do indeed have golden hair.
HUGS!
sybil
angelsbuffy4ever
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: what I admire most about Angel/ why romantic Cangel bothers Reply with quote

After spending some time thinking, I do agree that Cordelia is definitely important to Angel. I do appreciate her as a sister/best friend figure. I can try to accept why Angel and Cordy were explored since he is the male lead and she is the female lead of the series. What I don't really get is trying to make the relationship something it is not. For example, I don't understand why Cordy and Angel were written as "destiny", "in the stars". I think the writers were trying to hit a bit too close to what Buffy and Angel had and that doesn't feel right. Like Joss said, "you can't replace a banjo act with a banjo act".

A possible reason why Angel and Cordy was poorly executed was because Joss himself did not consistently nurture it. I've noticed that when he has a hand in things, it develops better. I may be wrong, but I believe Joss was caught up in Firefly after season 3, leaving Angel's character to his other writers. There were writers that thought that Cordy/Angel was such a great idea, but sometimes I feel like they were grasping at threads. They were desperate for Angel to care about someone else. Sometimes I felt like asking them "Do you know what you're saying?" lol. Of course the fact that Joss believes in Buffy and Angel also helps our cause. Cool

What I love most about the Bangel relationship was DB's excellent portrayal as a soulmate. While on Buffy, Angel played the part of her soulmate very loyally and true. In a beautiful way, Buffy and Angel are raw emotion. Their actions speak from the soul. Throughout BTVS 1-3 I consistently felt like Buffy and Angel were truly one soul split down the middle. Naturally, when Angel went onto his own show, I was bound to get disappointed, as he became something completely different. The writers' focus was new for Angel's character: make a show not develop a love story.

I also admired very much how Angel hardly played with Buffy's emotions. He was the vulnerable one, never trying to make her jealous. He was often the one stepping forward with his love for her when he said lines like "You don't ever have to play games with me, Buffy. Ever.", "I have loved you since the first moment I saw you.", "No matter what happens, I'll always be with you.", and "I love you, nothing can change that not even death." If Buffy was hesitant to pursue a relationship with a vampire, Angel clearly makes a convincing argument why she should reconsider.

Compared to Cordelia he is much more unsure, especially when they have "Were we in love?" exchanges. I see them more as puppy love, doing small things here and there, some jealousy, some attraction. But I think that with all the time they spent at the office, available to tell each other how they feel (especially since Angel was picking up on a connection) but not pursuing more, says a lot. I appreciated Cordy's return in "You're Welcome", and even then, he resigns contentedly that "maybe we were never meant to" have a connection. It is almost like he has quit before he has really allowed anything to start. He cares for her, and is happy to leave it at that.

Because, IMHO, we have seen the Angel who sees what he wants and goes for it with nothing holding him back. Because he's done it before for Buffy. Change the clothes, clean up the hair, change the attitude, find your courage, tell the girl you love her when it doesn't matter if she accepts you right away/keep trying. That's the Angel I loved for her.

Whew*! Very Happy
“Maybe we've lived a thousand lives before this one and in each of them we've found each other... I know I've spent each life before this one searching for you. Not someone like you but you, for your soul and mine must always come together.”
- Nicholas Sparks
_tragicsymphony
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cangel had a beautiful friendship, but it wasn't until "Hero" that I started appreciating their brother/sister dynamic. Doyle's death made them closer, and that's where their magic lied. It was in their shared grief, because that's what led to the strongest friendship on both series. They had a genuine love for each other as family, and there was a beauty to that.

Here's why forcing a romance was so problematic:

1 - They were manipulated into believing they loved each other. Their friends wanted it more than they did, so Angel and Cordy were never given the chance to figure it out themselves. Don't even get me started on the "kyrumption" and "moira" crap. It's telling how the ones making those claims had never seen Buffy and Angel together. Fred gets a free pass, since she was still a little crazy and eventually admitted she might have been wrong. Lorne's an empath demon though, so there's no excuse for the way he was written in AtS3. It makes no sense for him to misread Angel's destiny like that. How could he miss the fact Buffy was Angel's soulmate? They're the "Chosen Two" for crying out loud. And if anybody should know where Angel's heart truly lies, it's Lorne.

2 - Well, they never said "I love you." Cordy had to ask Angel if they were in love, who wasn't even sure of that himself. All he could say to her was, "All I know is that you were my dearest friend, and I want that back." Then, he actually asked her the same question later on. Angel's been in love before, so why would he need to do that? Bangel never did. They already knew, since they could feel it in their souls. When Cordy finally told Angel they were in love, it wasn't even her coming to that realization. Jasmine had already taken over, so the real Cordy was long gone. "Awakening" drops a major anvil with the C/A dream sex sequence. If this is his perfect fantasy, then how come he never tells her he loves her? It only gets worse. When he realizes he has to kill her, he still can't say it. All he can say is, "I'm so sorry." If he can't say it then, when can he? It's like watching "Becoming, Part 2" in reverse, just without the painful ending. At least, Buffy/Angel said they loved each other before she killed him. The last time Angel sees Cordy is in "You're Welcome." And yet, it's strictly about helping him get back on track by passing her visions on to him. She briefly mentions them missing their moment, and he admits, "Maybe, we were meant to." It's the first time they acknowledge they were never meant to be. Their final scene together is actually very bittersweet, but they still can't say they love each other. It's a lovely farewell to Cordy's character summed up by, "Thank you," and "You're welcome."

3 - Angel fantasizes about sex with Cordy, yet says Buffy's name at the moment he's about to lose his soul. What does that tell you?

4 - Cordy's in a coma and on her deathbed. Why isn't Angel broken up about it if he's so in love with her? He never left Buffy's side when she was infected with "the aspect of the demon." But as soon as Cordy's in trouble, Angel's running off to Sunnydale so he can make out with Buffy, grill her about Spike and question their future.

5 - Angel was so grief-stricken over Buffy's death, he went to Sri Lanka for three months. But when Cordy dies, it takes him two months to start dating Nina. And even then, he's still pining over Buffy.

6a - Angelus is my favorite character after Angel, since he's so intriguing and complex. And he provides such insight into Angel's psyche, particularly his heart. I thought bringing him back in AtS4 was brilliant storytelling, so it's no wonder that's my favorite season. The Angelus arc does a great job of proving Angel and Cordy were never in love. Angel's dream sex fantasy in "Awakening" illustrates this perfectly, and it only gets better once Angelus is released. When Wesley interrogates Angelus, he says, "The last time you were free, you terrorized Sunnydale." Angelus remembers Buffy fondly saying, "That slayer, she's a pistol." He's also not impressed by Cordy offering herself over to him in exchange for information about the Beast. It's almost like he's settling for who's there or the woman Angel thinks he loves. When she tells Angelus the deal is off, he doesn't seem to care. But, he is amused by them not saving the world. It isn't until Cordy threatens to return his soul that he gets angry. And when he learns there's a slayer in L.A., his eyes light up instantly. His first move is to call Buffy's house with a smile on his face to find out if she's there. And when Dawn tells him she is, he hangs up with a disappointed sigh before muttering, "It's the other one."

6b - Angelus is the only benchmark for the state of Angel's heart, so his behavior towards Cordy is pretty revealing. When he lost his soul the first time, he did everything he could to ruin Buffy short of killing her. Giles even warned her about that, saying, "It's not over. I-I-I suppose you know that. He'll come after you particularly. His profile, uh, well, he...he's likely to strike out at the things that made him the most human." Angelus foreshadowed that himself when he told Spike, "She made me feel like a human being. That's not the kind of thing you just forgive." He wanted revenge for what she made him feel as Angel, so he took a sick pleasure in humiliating her. His endgame was never about killing her physically, but emotionally. It was psychological warfare. So when Spike questioned why he didn't kill her, Angelus explained, "You gotta work from the inside. To kill this girl, you have to love her." He even taunted her about it during the mall fight, saying, "You know what the worst part was, huh? Pretending that I loved you. If I'd known how easily you'd give it up, I wouldn't have even bothered." Angelus spends all that energy psychologically torturing Buffy, but doesn't even bother with Cordy. Hmmm, shouldn't that tell you something?

6c - If Angel were in love with Cordy, wouldn't it have shown through Angelus? You'd think Angelus would have felt the same depth of love he did with Buffy and be just as obsessed with making Cordy suffer. That's not the case though, since he's never fixated on Cordy the way he was fixated on Buffy. His indifference about Cordy proves Angel doesn't actually have a strong love for her. Nobody knows Angel's heart better than Angelus, which is why he doesn't bother with Cordy. Buffy's earned a degree of respect from Angelus as a fighter and his equal, whereas Cordy simply amuses him. He's always possessed a twisted affection for Buffy, which is why he likes to call her "lover." It's almost endearing, whereas Cordy getting called "kitten" is pretty condescending. "Soulless" proves he's actually more interested in Fred than Cordy, which I always found interesting. Not only does Angelus threaten to rape her "to death," but he also manages to physically assault her without even leaving his cage.

7 - Angel/Cordy were victims of severe character assassination. Sadly, that was the only way for them to work as a couple. They weren't each other's type, so without making significant changes to their characters, a relationship wouldn't have been plausible. Angel became more like Xander and Doyle, while Cordy became more like Buffy. She even dyed her hair blonde, and that's how we got "St. Cordy," a total insult to her character. And, where did her sass go? Angel lost his mystery and intellect and became a caricature of himself instead. He was suddenly replaced by a dumb jock stereotype, and his glory days of reading and brooding in the dark were long gone. It was embarrassing.

8 - If the C/A romance had been done well, fans may have responded better. A love story about two best friends can work, and they had been through a lot together. It would have been realistic, but only if it was written organically instead of as B/A 2.0. Even so, David and Charisma did not have any sexual chemistry together.

9 - Darla's death was the only reason Angel turned to Cordy. He needed a mother for Connor, and Cordy was there. But he actually had a deeper connection with Darla, superseded only by the one with Buffy. And her sacrifice was so beautifully done, I couldn't help crying. It was absolutely heartbreaking. To have Cordy then sleep with Connor in AtS4 was really disturbing. I know Jasmine was in control, but can you say ewww? The only good thing about it was that it ended any possibility of resurrecting an Angel/Cordy romance.

10 - Doyle's one of my favorite characters, which is why this has always bothered me. How come he's not a champion, but Cordy is? I've always found him more heroic than she was, yet he's not considered a hero until his death. He gave Angel his mission and was the first one to connect him to his humanity in L.A. It's because of Doyle that Angel even developed a mission statement about "saving people's souls" in the first place. And Doyle's only ever a messenger, which makes no sense. He was the original seer who had to bear the burden of receiving painful visions from the PTB. Cordy never would have gotten any visions if he hadn't passed them on to her before he died. I don't understand why everyone makes such a big deal out of her bearing that burden, but not him. Honestly, Doyle was a lot more deserving of being called a champion than Cordy.

Angel and Cordy loved each other as family, but they were never in love. That familial bond was introduced pretty early on with "Expecting" and "To Shanshu In L.A." "You're Welcome" re-establishes that connection, allowing her to leave as just his best friend. It's nice to see, since that role was ripped from her to force the C/A romance in AtS3. The kiss is about one thing, and that's getting him back on track by passing her visions on to him. Cordy receives a beautiful sendoff, even getting redeemed a little in the process. She was sadly ruined to the point of no return, so they had no choice but to get rid of her. But fortunately for Angel, he was able to recover from his character assassination without any permanent damage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> B/A Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: