Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Hi Everyone!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pessimistic B/A Fan
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Hi! Reply with quote

Hi there,

I just wanted to say a quick hello. I'm new here (duh, obviously), but not to B/A as I've been shipping them since 2001. I admit to not watching the show from the beginning, but here's why. I'm old enough to have seen the original movie in the theater, and I didn't really love it. So when it first started, I made the conscious decision not to watch the series (what a bone-headed move, right?) A few of my friends did watch, and knowing my love for most things vampire, told me I was missing out on something spectacular. But knowing how most mythology shows go, I knew I'd missed too much to just jump in. So when FX started airing reruns in 2001, I quickly joined in. At that time, I was trying to watch Buffy season 2 on FX, Buffy season 6 on UPN, and Angel season 3 on the WB. Yeah, I was slightly confused at first. But I was never confused about Buffy and Angel.

I'd planned to watch for the humor, the fighting, the vampires. What I hadn't expected was to fall for B/A. But I did. I fell in love with their relationship as quickly as Buffy fell in love with Angel. And I was hooked. So here I am, years later, still loving them.

I've lurked around fanfic sites for years now, but I've never joined in. Recently, I posted a bit on the Dark Horse site, largely because I wanted to know if there were any other nervous B/A fans out there. But I ended up getting slammed by a fair amount of B/S fans, and really didn't want to go back. That, and I was too much of a wuss to read the latest comic issue. Kairos was more than kind about sending me a spoiler on it, and pointing me toward this site. I can't offer enough thanks for that.

I suppose I should explain my name as well. It might make me sound like I don't love B/A, but trust me, I really do. I used to be the #1 optimist about them, telling all my friends that they would end up together, no matter what, trust me. But over time, I'm afraid I lost a little faith in Joss. Now, I'm just downright terrified. I don't officially read the comics, but I did read all this recent stuff, and I'm so afraid Joss is going to find a way to separate my fav couple forever. Maybe I'm freaking out over nothing, but I guess the name has to stick for now.

My real name, if anyone wants to know is Samantha (just Sam), and I'm so happy to have found you guys. So, thanks. (Sorry this was so long. Guess it wasn't a quick hello after all Wink ).
Leni
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sweetie!

Well, can't say I don't share your fears some day. But think of this, even if Joss does his worst, there's nothing fandom can't heal. B/A's been alive for years between NFA and the comics, hasn't it?

Wink

We'll make it. B/A will make it. It's what we do.

Welcome to the community!
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Hi Leni Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome. I really should be in bed right now, but I'm putting it off. And thanks for the words of encouragement. I knew somehow that finding other B/Aers would heal my troubled mind.
Kean
Chosen One

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi hun!

I was snooping over at DH on Wednesday hoping to find some spoilers about this weeks issue and I noticed that thread you started. I'm so sorry you got hit like that. Fandom can be a really unkind place. Lucky for you though you found your way here! Very Happy

I can certainly understand your apprehension about the future of our favourite couple. I know I have similar fears. But what I will say is this, Buffy and Angel have always always been about the journey. Not the destination. There's a very good chance that we will never see them get happily ever after. What we have gotten though is Buffy telling Angel he is the love of her life and that she wants to live that life with him. They are pretty strong words. Nothing that either of them has faced, separately or together, has managed to come between them. I would take a lot of heart from that going forward. After all, as Mr. Whedon said, B/A transcends everything Smile

Hope you have fun!
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, someone newer than me! Welcome to the forum hun, hope you have fun here! Smile

I haven't been reading the comics (yet; I'm still stuck watching season 6 with my flatmate) so I can't participate in that discussion. All in due course tho!
taaroko
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, there! Welcome to the forum! I saw what happened over at DH. Seriously not cool. But you're safe here. That stuff is why I don't post on public forums that allow shipping. It just drives me crazy when I use reasoned argument that I strive to make as objective as possible (because points are proven through logic, not subjective ranting, even though that's fun too sometimes) and am countered with poorly reasoned (and frequently poorly spelled) trash talk. I want an intellectual debate, not name-calling and hair-pulling. Even Whedonesque gets borderline hostile sometimes, but I've come up with all of my best metas from those discussions, so I won't complain too much.

By the way, my favorite cure for pessimism is good fanfiction. Wink
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - welcome to the forum!

I'm glad you found the courage to stop lurking and join us here. I'm sure you will have fun!

"Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."
Bangelfanforever
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Welcome to the forum Pessimistic B/A Fan! I'm looking forward to getting to know you better. I hope you'll enjoy posting here.

Sometimes I share your fear, sometimes I don't. I personally think it's clear that Angel is the love of Buffy's life and Buffy is the love of Angel's life. What scares me isn't the canon but the fandom. Spuffy is so popular online that I'm sometimes afraid the writers will listen to the Spuffy shippers and make Buffy end up with Spike since the comics are far from over.

See you around.

Caro.

I'm BAFanForever on twitter. Feel free to add me.
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, glad to see you here! No more ugly shipper attacks. You are among friends. Very Happy

I like the way you make it sound like I was just being gracious and helping you, but actually, my motive all along was a completely selfish one: to snap you up and bring you over here. Victory!

Here's hoping you find some satisfying discussion and fun threads to take part in.
Pessimistic B/A Fan
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Thanks Everyone Reply with quote

I just wanted to thank everyone for welcoming me. It's so nice to be here amongst friends. Somewhere where I might be able to post a topic or question and not have my head ripped off just for having an opinion. Yeah, obviously, my experience on Dark Horse wasn't the best, as I was really just looking for other B/A people to chat with, although I thought I could have civilized conversations with other fans. It didn't really turn out that way, so I don't think I'm going to head back there in the near future. I'll just stay here in my warm, little comfort zone for awhile. So thanks again!

Quote:
Bangelfanforever said:

I personally think it's clear that Angel is the love of Buffy's life and Buffy is the love of Angel's life. What scares me isn't the canon but the fandom. Spuffy is so popular online that I'm sometimes afraid the writers will listen to the Spuffy shippers and make Buffy end up with Spike since the comics are far from over.

Hey Bangelfan, I completely agree with you that they are the loves of each other's lives. And interestingly, my fear doesn't really come from the online S/B fans, cause I don't think Joss necessarily will ever really change his story to please anyone. The truth is, I just worry about how Joss himself is going to handle it. I worry that someday he'll blow apart all of our hopes on a whim. But, you know, even if he did follow what the fans say, and if indeed B/S are this great internet presence that they claim to be, doesn't Joss seem like the kind of guy to root for the underdog?

Pessimistic
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam,

Sorry I'm late to the party. Has all the champagne been drunk? Damn!

Laughing

I'm careful where I post because getting slammed isn't fun. You'll be safe here, we love B/A and even if there are discussions about things we may not agree on, we're all very friendly and no flames are thrown.

I'm like you. I made a point not to watch that new show Buffy the Vampire Slayer because I had seen the movie. It wasn't until my boss was talking about a new show called Angel that I decided to take a look. (I thought Angel was a girlfriend of Buffy's and had gotten her own show.) Heh!

Boy, was I pleasantly surprised.

Ares
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Hi Everyone! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: