Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buffy movie in the works (for real)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrystalSC
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Buffy movie in the works (for real) Reply with quote

Announced today, Warner Bros. is planning a Buffy reboot. BUT it will be without Joss Whedon or the original cast. It's on the front page of imdb.com
Here's an article with the writer of the film Whit Anderson from the LA Times.

Personally, if it doesn't have Joss or the original cast, I'm not interested in seeing it. I'm rather upset they would even contemplate making it without the cast really.

What about you?

Someone on io9.com posted the best response!! LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgI2ZQVyrBo
CrystalSC
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joss Whedon responds: http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b212644_joss_whedon_reacts_buffy_movie_news_i.html

The only thing I don't understand is when he says "This is a sad, sad reflection on our times, when people must feed off the carcasses of beloved stories from their youths—just because they can't think of an original idea of their own, like I did with my Avengers idea that I made up myself."

Is he joking? I understand it's probably irritating that a young fan who now is a writer is getting to take over his creation. (and I don't like it myself) but how is it really different from what he's doing with the Avengers?

I do feel a bit bad for the writer because most of the angry response seems directed towards her. But she is a Hollywood writer now and taking work when it comes your way is probably very important. I doubt many people would've let the chance pass them by.
dorotea
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrystalSC wrote:
probably irritating that a young fan who now is a writer is getting to take over his creation. (and I don't like it myself) but how is it really different from what he's doing with the Avengers?

Avengers as a collective of superheroes have been around for far much longer. The original first ever authors of Superman, Iron Man etc are dead - are they not ? Is there a cult of super hero tv series, romance novels going on right now - or am I mistaken and we actually have a flood of second rate urban fantasy overwhelming the media? Finally, how do you think Hitchhock would have felt about the 'remake of 'Psycho' in his lifetime? Tolkien about somebody writing a continuation to the LotR while he was still alive ? Mitchjell about Alexandra Ripley's Scarlett? I kind of freaked out when I saw that article via Whedonesque...
bonnaleah
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dorotea, our minds are running on the same track. I was just about to post and saw your reply...Well said.

CrystalSC wrote:

The only thing I don't understand is when he says "This is a sad, sad reflection on our times, when people must feed off the carcasses of beloved stories from their youths—just because they can't think of an original idea of their own, like I did with my Avengers idea that I made up myself."

Is he joking? I understand it's probably irritating that a young fan who now is a writer is getting to take over his creation. (and I don't like it myself) but how is it really different from what he's doing with the Avengers?

I do think this part of his statement was made jokingly, but at the same time I don't think what he's doing with the Avengers is even close to being the same thing as this Buffy reboot. I'm really not that familiar with the Avengers, but if I've understood it correctly it's a bunch of the Marvel comic book heros coming together and forming a group to fight crime or whatever. I don't even know some of these characters but according to the Marvel site the current avenger team includes Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Hawkeye, Jocasta, Wolverine, Luke Cage, Wasp, Iron Man, Captian America,ect. Most of these comic characters have been around forever and I guess if they were all created by one person, and that one person was still alive and working, but was still bypassed for this new Avenger movie, I would see it as the same thing, and maybe one person really did create all these comic characters...but I kinda doubt it. I really can't blame Joss for not wanting to see Buffy turned over to someone else, and while he declined working with the Kuzui's, [and who could blame him after the way they butchered up his script for the first movie], I think it's really unforgivable of the Kuzui's to sell it out from under him, and then for the fricken WB to not even ask him if he wanted to be involved. Joss is Buffy...the whole thing makes me so angry and sad at the same time, and I wouldn't touch this movie with a 10 foot pole, and it seems most of the fandom feels the same way.
cheryl
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto, the only ones who seem to not care about this are the bitter fans, sigh, which makes me about as sad to see as this news.

IMO, FOX should have taken care of this a LONG TIME AGO and purchased the rights so that Joss could make the movie. It's also worth mentioning SMG in all this. Joss is Buffy's brain and SMG wears the face and emotion. I wouldn't touch a Buffy movie without SMG anymore than I would without Joss.

Joss needs to gather his crew, take Buffy to HBO and show them all how it's done. Him in charge, him writing and directing. I am going to get a A T-shirt that says, REBOOT this, assclown.

I do feel slightly sorry for the chic who thinks she is going to do a reboot of Buffy while SMG and Joss are alive but not enough to keep her X'd out face off the back of my T-Shirt.

So yeah...not happy about this would be an understatement.
Kean
Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrystalSC wrote:
Joss Whedon responds: http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b212644_joss_whedon_reacts_buffy_movie_news_i.html

Yeah, he is joking. He's basically saying he isn't happy but what can he do? He can't really give a full condemnation of it because he is essentially using someone else's characters to tell his story in Avengers. I think he was trying to address the inevitable hypocrite comments that would have come if he had raged against this.

I'm going to say what I said on BB: they can make what they want, but I don't have to watch it. I certainly will not support it by seeing it in the cinema or buying a dvd. I actually quite like the "NUFFY" movement that is going around. I honestly think this is destined to be the biggest failure Hollywood has seen since Gigli.

Sidenote: I LOVE that the image that was paired with that Eonline article was Bangel macking on each other in Chosen.

Very Happy
Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some reactions from within the Whedonverse cast on Twitter:

Amber Benson

Well, @Phoenix_Ranger, they asked me to play the penis montster from 'Double Meat Palace' in the reboot & I said that Tara doesn't do dick.

Eliza Dushku

Joss made the "Buffster" & w/out him... I just don't trust the girl. Or the world.

Jenny Mollen aka Nina

I will only say this once. Without Joss, there is no Buffy!

Julie Benz retweeted what "Nina" said and added "Never have truer words been tweeted!"

Emma Caulfield

Buffy reboot? ahahahhaha.

Brian Lynch (editor of IDW and After the Fall) posted this image

And my personal favourite, Hart Hanson (creator/executive producer of Bones posted DB's reaction of the news)

Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kean wrote:
Sidenote: I LOVE that the image that was paired with that Eonline article was Bangel macking on each other in Chosen.

Me too. I've noticed that they use pictures of B/A in most of the articles. Heart

Why is everyone saying that it would be without SMG? From the statements I read that are directly from the people involved, they've not said anything like that.
In fact, the producers have all worked with SMG in the past which means, they know her. Maybe there is a good possiblity of them considering her for the role. The project was just greenlit, right? So there's not even been any casting yet, right?

I understand completely where you're coming from regarding the differences between Joss writing the Avengers and Whit Anderson writing Buffy (I had just not completely understood Joss' tone and whether he was joking or not).
Someone on another site had written that reboots get made all the time and cited Spiderman and Star Trek as an example. My response was:
Quote:
"There is a larger time gap in most of those projects though. The Star Trek reboot didn't feel as jarring because there have been many big screen Star Treks with multiple casts. Spiderman, Superman, Batman etc...came out many many years ago.

Buffy ended only 7 years ago. I personally think it's nice that people feel so much love for it that they are afraid of it being ruined."

And really, I hate the way they say "this wouldn't be a high school Buffy" as if Buffy's high school days were really immature. The first three seasons of BtVS were gritty, dark, romantic as well as humorous and fun. But perhaps they were referring to the movie.
Kean
Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrystalSC wrote:

Why is everyone saying that it would be without SMG? From the statements I read that are directly from the people involved, they've not said anything like that.
In fact, the producers have all worked with SMG in the past which means, they know her. Maybe there is a good possiblity of them considering her for the role. The project was just greenlit, right? So there's not even been any casting yet, right?

Well, if SMG would not get on board with a Joss ran Buffy movie I can't imagine in a million years her getting on board with this. Also, SMG played Buffy in the TV show, the way I understand it her portrayal of Buffy is the property of 20th Century. I'd wager there would be some legal issues to duke out in order for her to play this eboot Buffy, which for all intents and purposes, is a totally different character.
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I couldn't imagine SMG agreeing to play Buffy without Joss involved. I know people like to play up this big feud between them - and I do get the impression that he & SMG aren't ever going to be the best of friends but if they hated each other THAT much, they wouldn't have both showed up for the reunion, would they? (& perhaps he denied it because she didn't want it stated but I fully believe that was SMG in Dr. Horrible with the wig & glasses) - but I get the impression that they do respect each other and have a lot of pride in their work.

Kean wrote:
Also, SMG played Buffy in the TV show, the way I understand it her portrayal of Buffy is the property of 20th Century. I'd wager there would be some legal issues to duke out in order for her to play this eboot Buffy, which for all intents and purposes, is a totally different character.

Geez, all these "rights" things are such a mess. Sad It's too bad they didn't get this straightened out years ago. Sad

From his statement, I see Joss acknowledging that there is nothing he can do about it but be unhappy. That seems pretty honest and reasonable to me.
cheryl
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto again on the no way Sarah will do this without Joss. It's just beyond sad that this happened.
racheltng
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh* I know everyone's saying that they're not going to see it if it comes out, but I don't think I'll be able to say. I think I'll have to see it just to satisfy my curiosity. But then I'll probably cry afterwards and have a BtVS marathon.

I finally have some sympathy for fans of the original Battlestar Galactica. Many of them are still hella pissed about the reboot, even though it's been far more successful than the original. My stance was always, "The new one's not going away. Get over it." Well, I don't see myself getting over this anytime soon.

Of course, the whole thing could be a flop, actually, probably will be a flop. Which is ok as long as it doesn't turn potential new fans away from classic Buffy.
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. I'd be more bothered by this if I thought there was a snowball's chance in hell of getting a REAL Buffy movie with SMG/DB, ASH, Aly, NB...

Since there really isn't, I don't really have an opinion either way. It will likely be better than the original movie (which I still love for the campy fun) but not as good as the first 5 seasons of the show. I can't imagine it'd be possible for it to be worse than the last 2 years.

I think it's sad that Fox and Joss didn't/don't try to fight for Buffy on the big screen with the original characters/cast but it's also not unexpected.

Basically I'm on the "we'll see" bandwagon but it won't be Buffy. It'll be Buffy-like. Sort of.

*shrug*

-Luc
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I'm not sure abot this. I'm sitting on the fence. I won't say anything bad about the film, but I won't be going to the midnight show either. Maybe this could be a really great thing. But when it comes down to it, there shouldn't be a need for a reboot. The film(s) should have been made years ago. Should've seen this coming with all the other remakes around...oh well ought to be interesting at the very least.
mayfever
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spartan72 wrote:
TI won't say anything bad about the film, but I won't be going to the midnight show either.

ditto. I'm just not that fussed. I'm gonna watch it, I'm not kidding myself here, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna be one big failure. It'll be fun to watch it all go down the drain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: