Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorite Buffy/Giles moment?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helmi
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Favorite Buffy/Giles moment? Reply with quote

I just watched Never kill a boy on the first date and it really made me remember just how much I loved the Buffy/Giles relationship. During the seventh season the writers did their best to destroy the wonderful relationship Buffy and Giles had and according to the spoilers I've read on the comics they pretty much succeeded on that after the show ended. But back to topic, I thought that before season six Buffy and Giles had just absolutely wonderful, understanding and loving relationship that I thought was one of the best parts of the show (one of many). I think Giles understood Buffy a lot better than her real family or friends did (except Angel who understood her best) and during the fifth season he seemed to take the number one spot on her most trusted person list. So, I have to ask what is/are the favorite Buffy/Giles moments to you guys?

Firstly I have to say that I love the whole interaction between them in Never kill a boy on the first date, but especially the talk at the end. The way he cheers her up and tells her she's doing pretty well (as the slayer) and his support and understanding of the situation Heart , I just simply love that scene, can you tell.

And probably my favorite Buffy/Giles moment is in Innocence, the talk in the car at the end of the episode. How Giles tells her if she's looking for accusations and blame he is not going to give it to her, all he has to offer is his support and respect, it always makes my heart melt Heart . Also the scene in Passion when Buffy says she can't do it without him and they fall to the ground, crying and holding onto each other... There's plenty of mention-worthy moments, but I'll give other people a chance...

"A vampire in love with a Slayer. It's rather poetic... In a maudlin sort of way." - Giles in Out of Mind, Out of Sight (s1e11)
LoveKatieholmes90
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helmi..you know very well how I share with you the Biles goodness. I have lots of favorite moments from them...the first is the same you quoted...Innocence scene at the end...it shows how much Giles care for Buffy and how he can be there for her..he's not a stuffy old english man...he's showing he's someone she can always depend on (for the time being, she's still a teen). I know many criticize Giles for going away in season 6 but it had to be done...Buffy had to know that kind of responsibility alone...it may seem harsh but sometimes you need to loosen the rope..if it becomes too right, it's never good.

Another moment I love is the one I watched yesterday...in Something Blue Buffy asks Giles to be the one who gives her away..I know she was under the spell but the spell didn't concern Giles and how he reacts and the fact that Buffy would ask him if she got married proves a lot.

I also love Helpless when it's declared he has a fatherly love for the girl (YES, he does for me) and Giles finally throws away his duty, recognizing that this time he has something way more valuable..he has Buffy.

I simply hate how this beautiful, delicate relationship was treated over the years...especially in season 7 and the comics...sometimes the writers forget the roots, the beginnings and what makes a relationship work to have the "conflict" effect and they step on what they've built for many years.

Uhm..I also love when Giles comes back after Buffy's alive in season 6 and they just look at each other...it's a look that conveys everything...I tear up everytime I see this scene.

I'd probably gonna add more moments later..but I adore this thread!

"...you walked down the steps...and...and I loved you"

"Why?"

"'Cause I could see your heart"
Kean
Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There is no spell."

I just love how he knew there was something more to what happened with Angel and Acthala. I love even more that he knew it was killing Buffy and just saying it out loud would set her free.

Why couldn't we have had this Giles in S6? Sad
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kean wrote:
"There is no spell."

I just love how he knew there was something more to what happened with Angel and Acthala. I love even more that he knew it was killing Buffy and just saying it out loud would set her free.

Why couldn't we have had this Giles in S6? Sad

THAT!! That wonderful, AWESOME moment you quoted...how could I forget about that? No doubt Giles was at his best during the first three seasons...oh, why they ruined everything?

"...you walked down the steps...and...and I loved you"

"Why?"

"'Cause I could see your heart"
Helmi
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoveKatieholmes90 wrote:
Another moment I love is the one I watched yesterday...in Something Blue Buffy asks Giles to be the one who gives her away..I know she was under the spell but the spell didn't concern Giles and how he reacts and the fact that Buffy would ask him if she got married proves a lot.

I forgot about that, it was such a lovely moment and Giles seemed really touched by the request, it was very telling of his feelings. And that brought to mind another season 4 moment, in A new man when Buffy says that "this is for Giles" before stabbing the demon that "killed Giles" he really looks/sounds happy and touched that she would avenge him. And she knew it was him from his eyes!

And now I have remembered The Prom, when Buffy tells him that Angel is leaving her, he is so understanding and says that to his understanding a situation like that requires ice cream Heart . There are so many wonderful moments, and it seems they are centered to the first three seasons.

Kean wrote:
"There is no spell."

Why couldn't we have had this Giles in S6?

Things like that really showed how much he cared about her and how well he knew her. It's such a pity that that Giles wasn't seen during the sixth and seventh season Sad . The writers really should have read some old scripts to remember how to write Giles.

"A vampire in love with a Slayer. It's rather poetic... In a maudlin sort of way." - Giles in Out of Mind, Out of Sight (s1e11)
cheryl
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giles is such a fundamental part of the reason that I love this series that I wouldn't even know where to begin with all the goodness.

"I'd like to test that theory" runs in my mind as one of those goose bump worthy, didn't see it coming, moments.

The moment that he chooses Buffy over the COW and Wes during the Graduation saga is another that comes to mind.

Until the hack writers of the latter seasons, *spits* decided to deconstruct everything beautiful about these characters, Giles could rival both Buffy and Angel in the "got it" factor. He had it.
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because Giles was so important to ALL of the scoobs, it is hard to segregate moments with Buffy only in both favorite moments and in significance because Buffy only began the connection Giles himself holds in the lives of these young people having precious little "parental" influence--and they shape him into that better human being, capable of being that loving father who develops their skills to protect themselves, yet risk practicing their skills to become good and independent adults.

I'll just pick Giles and Buffy poring over a book and comprehending that such shadowy and huge terror was the weapon of this demon; and the Irish meant "actual size," the comprehension and "power" of accomplishment judiciously applied by both parties.
Hugs!
sybil
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no one is bringing up that wonderful, “Welcome home” no questions asked, in the awful, "Dead Man’s Party” or how worried Buffy was in Checkpoint re Giles losing his green card, or how she asked him to be her watcher again, IIRC the Dracula episode, or THE.BEST.EVER. Giles and Buffy LAUGHING that she slept with Spike—it was so absurd and she wasn’t dead for having been “stupid” and "remember when" : how about how funny his tweediness was in using “hone” while she noticed the 80’s fashion and then he turned around in “Grave” and said only “you cut your hair”—she had cut things off and had changed and he said it in a way SHE would get it.

Sure wondering why I even care about season 9 still. Buffy the outsider hero, Angel and schmoopyness with Faith and the complete replay in reverse—so Echo of Dollhouse just keeps echoing into every. single. heroine. We have to have the billowy, heroey instead of the promise of wild, outrageous offered in Faith and Spike. I am tired of the stereotype of a saint for “redeemed” people. They ALL have the same wan sad, yet beatific peaceful, expression, act in the knitted brow of self sacrifice and a dead memory, in token, sideways offerings of love. Guess what. I know stories of saints AFTER they were “saved” who had humor, spunk, fun and playfulness and appreciation for the gifts of being physical. This hatred of the body as virtue just sucks, especially when the STORY shows the body is the teacher, NOT THE SOUL.

I think the comic books in their lack of subtlety just don’t mix as my medium of choice. I ‘d rather listen to an audio book than twist my brow into figuring out who the hell this month’s artist is showing me in flat, 4 word sentences. And I’ve attached my affections to all these people who won’t be used in season 9 with all this same old crap of separate, but equal.

I can’t give a ding damn about the slayer army, no matter how often I see these girls. They are all Buffy and not being Buffy is a separate story. Live long and prosper, but get out of the way. I didn’t sign on for their stories, even though, plot lines are always revived to be repeated and yet evil seems to always be neatly starched and pressed to be revived once more, but rarely is. (I’m looking at you, Lilah, I love ya and Dru,too—and what universe does Twilight inhabit that he was waiting to be born in—“heaven” is soulless, therefore magic powers (the seed) powers heaven or magic itself is soulless? I don’t get it.).

I miss Giles. I miss him and don’t think they showed us he had his own life to develop and juggle. I mean “magically” solving his problems doesn’t begin to explain his own practices with magic or why he sings, rather than play a violin. I would love to have seen him juggling his love life with watcher and father to ALL of the scoobs-especially with weddings actually being a concern now (or maybe just threatened, like Kenny, square pants, would have be fun).

I am glad Brian Lynch actually knows how to make a good guy different from another good guy and make me care. I agree, repeating the same plot lines, turning the lazy susan, with different faces, isn’t working for me anymore. It’s not like people don’t face DIFFERENT problems in their lives in becoming either a superhero or clark kent the dweeb as a result of the intial trauma set forth in daddy issues and that “power struggle.’

It’s a big surprise to think that parents are the same 20 something you were, shown, and that their parents were “clueless,” but the barriers to both parents and children in changing to friendships is also a required showing of a different kind of care acceptance being given with each other. Giles speaking to Buffy “you cut your hair” said this guy really did “get” Buffy and she really is in trouble. A lot.

HUGS!
sybil
Dingoes
Mortal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passions- Buffy confronts Jenny about Giles 'I don't want anyone to be lonely'
Passions- Buffy punches Giles, hug ensues- KILLS ME!
Dead Man's Party- Giles moment in the kitchen when Buffy shows up at his house.
Earshot- 'Unless you're too busy having sex with my MOTHER' Giles runs into a tree.
A New Man- 'How'd you know it was me?' 'Your eyes. You're the only person in the world that could look that annoyed with me.'

And to transition into straight up Giles moments- any moment involving singing/playing guitar....HELLO!
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELCOME TO YOU!

You are showing so many reasons for Giles to be important in Buffy's continuing story. I just can't believe they "didn't know what to do with him."

I also can't believe he was "Mr. Watcher's Council" after all he had been through with Buffy. I can't believe he'd use a slayer to kill a slayer and it was Buffy, yet he can "understand" Faith's need to go help slayers who didn't handle their potential to slayer triggering? Wouldn't he have learned from Buffy's own struggles to juggle the dreams and the need to understand them, or the craving to have a normal life yet, to still maintain her duty honorably, even as she feared all those words for "hard?"

I loves me Giles and I honestly think they lost sight of his value to ALL the scoobies and could have made stories right there. Afterall, he knows and was shamed by the fact he was Mr. Rebellious himself and that it actually sometimes is exactly what is needed to solve a problem--Buffy proved it!

I MISS all the scoobie interactions, the idea that Giles was an adult and actually had an adult's life that wasn't his job, even considering children of his own. He had to have had some faith in life, in this world, despite the hell mouth, as he said in the Wish verse: there has to be something better than this. He is capable of huge leaps of faith.

I miss Giles and knew, just knew, even for inernalization of the father it was a mistake and one I just don't think I'll get over. But, at least, Paranormal Project was a brilliant move in the Buffy/Giiles world. I just happen to think he was critical to ALL of the scoobs.

Thanks for your list. I can't even handle that moment of Buffy crying saying she couldn't do it without him. Just kills me in its love and power--in the same sentence.
HUGS!
sybil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: