Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Justin Cronin's "The Passage"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> The Library
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaryZg
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Justin Cronin's "The Passage" Reply with quote

Anyone read it? I read it a couple of months ago and got smitten. The guy is an amazing writer and has come up with a new twist on the vampire theme that I liked very much.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy pure fantasy very much, but ever since I discovered SF I found my truest niche. Cronin's is the SF take on the vampire theme. And it has a post-apocalypse setting, another one of my favorite things to read about.

There will be a movie too, done by none other than Ridley Scott. I was so excited to learn about it, because while I was reading the book I was thinking how it would be amazing to see the movie. And there will be a movie!
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this for Christmas but I havenít had chance to read it yet. It had been recommended to me by friends, though I was warned its rather dark and scary. My copy is one of those bigger-than-average paperbacks and it looks pretty hefty lurking on my bookcase.

I hope to get to it soonÖ You think Iím in for a treat, then?

"Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."
MaryZg
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's dark, all right. Post-apocalyptic setting. But it's mostly about the rebuilding of society than anything else. Or better said: once the planned trilogy is done, it will be mostly about the rebuilding. The Passage, as the first trilogy part, is still about setting the ground for future efforts. But there's hope - the humanity is on its way of recovery, or so it seems.

Since I believe you're not scared of dark, and as long as you're into SF, I think you'll be all right. And Cronin really knows his way around a story. That's always a treat.

Personally, I can't wait for the next part to come out.
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post apocalypse is one of my favourite types of story, which is probably why friends suggested it.

Quote:
Since I believe you're not scared of dark

Who told you? Itís supposed to be a secret!

"Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."
MaryZg
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *can* read, you know, all the evidence to the contrary notwithstanding...
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.. Realism with the sentimental streak. I require the great depths of a person to have great subtlety and paradox, which is why Joss is a great writer on CHARACTER, even if he stpped off the ledge to replace Angel/us in the series story and thus, he subverts it at every turn that anyone can be anyone as "proof" they are damned to never change or offer the hope of becoming as an everyone and thus, ndeed "human."

You;ll break your arms to read this book. I think the "jump" was bizarre and the characters suffeed to the backdrop. I think a lot of the end was twisted around to set up the sequel, which seemed like the point.

I think JJ Abrams fans would like this, as he is notorious for superficial development of character over the substance of action. I mostly like him for action and humor.

HUGS!
sybil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> The Library All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: