Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LIFE n LEARNING n STUFF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Misc/Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: LIFE n LEARNING n STUFF Reply with quote

I know I’ve been a negative Nellie on the Jossverse, but I hope some of you guys are happy with things, despite me, or still have faith because Joss didn’t write every word. Or maybe because you felt supported in your understanding by the narrative or fans, or because you felt he has offered new ideas to consider that have clarified or refined your own views, or maybe in the surprises or people to care about in fiction, or maybe just the fun of meeting people who take the journey with you.

ANYWAY.

Stuff to share, if you like.

Have you gone to a comic con or fandom convention around the jossverse or even a favorite actor or writer, etc and maybe met any of the jossverse fandom, even if the “professionals” I mean, if they also are fans. Ha! Have you stayed in touch?

Do you think the world of fandom has offered greater understanding of other “ways of thinking” or of other countries?

Do you think you actually found a lot of doors open for you for trying things again or for the first time? Why do you think that is?

How about the notion of Buffy philosophy, coursework, or Buffyspeak in “common” use—how do you feel?

Have you made the effort to pursue ideas from fandom you didn’t know or directly from Joss’s narrative and will you share?

Have you found fandom useful and why?

Do you think there is such a thing as a “typical Joss fan?”

Have you changed your mind about yourself or your beliefs or the world itself because of Joss?

What is the most fun for you in the jossverse? Can you even pick one? Ha ha!

HUGS! Very Happy
Sybil
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have the time for this right now but I hope that someone will make use of it and spill their thoughts, since it does sound like some interesting conversations are hiding in here. I'll be back to tackle it (or parts of it) later.
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now, this is an interesting post, Sybil. I’ll see if I can share a few thoughts on some of your points:

Quote:
Have you gone to a comic con or fandom convention around the jossverse or even a favorite actor or writer

My daughter and I go to Hallowhedon every year. We’ve said hi to lots of Buffy guests including – Giles, Cordelia, Ethan Rayne, Lilah, Xander, Spike, Groo, Harmony, Clem, Tara and Warren. (There were also other guests from his other shows, too.) I’m very pleased that I managed to get Anthony Stewart Head (Giles) to sign a picture of Project Paranormal! Did you know the man is really interested in the paranormal?

Quote:

I’m not sure I’d say useful, exactly, but… Buffy has been responsible for a lot of things in my life. It provoked me to start writing again, after a break of a good many years, and I’ve learnt to make websites along the way. The website making has given me a mutual interest with my son, (the one responsible for persuading me to make them!) and our trip to London every year for Hallowhedon gives my daughter and myself a chance to have fun together, and perhaps bond a little as well. Plus, I’ve made some fabulous friends and acquaintances and read some wonderful stories and discussions also.

Quote:

Absolutely not. I’ve spoken to fan people between at least 14 – 70. Men, women…

Quote:

The friends I’ve made, and watching Angel without his shirt on!

"Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you gone to a comic con or fandom convention around the jossverse or even a favorite actor or writer, etc and maybe met any of the jossverse fandom, even if the “professionals” I mean, if they also are fans. Ha! Have you stayed in touch?

NO. I’ve never met you guys in the flesh or gone to a comic con. I try to stay in touch with the fandom on forums, even though most people are on ‘fandom of me’ places now; I feel “outside,” unable to keep up, or like a freak except here really.

Do you think the world of fandom has offered greater understanding of other “ways of thinking” or of other countries?

ABSOLUTELY. I can’t imagine going somewhere only to eat at McDonald’s. Myth has been my unifier, even if I see the concrete as basis of the greatest divisions and judgments. The biggest exposure to me has been to see my own as daring, even brash, but also based on the bloody and cultural violence of justified theft.

Do you think you actually found a lot of doors open for you for trying things again or for the first time? Why do you think that is?

Every art makes it look like "I could do that" --especially with software! I did try to draw and wish I could write. I see vids in every song. ha! I have been pretty well silenced because other people “do it better" and I respect their abilities to juggle life demands better in order to have learned to "do it better."

I do believe Buffy is important and the culture of discourse invites the discourse of culture, I feel rBuffy eveals the nature of new ideas, (aren't), but the wisdom that is actually intended is tens of thousands of years old.

Have you made the effort to pursue ideas from fandom you didn’t know or directly from Joss’s narrative and will you share?

I have refined dogma to that of personal understanding. I am glad that things I won't experience still exist for someone in the world; and I can change how I feel about things, which makes every old tale a new one .

I started fandom with the enjoyment and beauty of deep loyalty, friendship, and the power of understanding, then first sight, true love insisting on having a full life, then the miracle of mercy on both the light and dark nature given respite. I was greedy and wanted the tale to be actualized FOR THEM.

When the stories were derailed, for whatever reason, I was told to keep the faith in Joss’s vision, to not be upset about the OOC ness in the telling of tales to maybe just pose questions, and to just see “another story.” It really helped. Art and artifice are not equivalent.

Bottom line? I liked myself better when characters "made sense." Buffy lived it: be kind; and Angel grasped it’s power for himself and how to behave in the world. Be kind. I thought their COMPLETE understanding of each other IS the balanced reality of the world, but they had the real secret in why we can/should/do celebrate.

Lately, I am learning the (derailed) story of sun and moon (in the same sky aka a human being) has become the story of human life shamed; and thus, gutted virtue is only worthy when pain and terror are shown the bloody altar, while the resolution of paradox is in the triumph of loss.

NO WAY! I think it is IMPOSSIBLE to say one must fit a "category" like fantasy or horror or soap opera to be a Buffy fan, no matter how shipper preference makes a very lazy and simplistic way to “merchandise” POV. I think EACH fan is here for a unique combination of interests--which is part of the genius of Joss to make surprises and put flesh" on that which we always KNEW to be true.

Have you changed your mind about yourself or your beliefs or the world itself because of Joss?
The jossverse offered a way to structure or approach the subject of “everything people believe about themselves and the nature of reality.” Ha!

A circle of friends who could see why B/A holds the narrative together as a piece, thus the world myths MEANING, in new dress and told in the language that is so creative, just in having reversals of sentence position or that serves poetic meter.

THANKS A LOT! We all got our burdens and we alll try to answer very big questions. I'll find happiness in the resolution of paradox in B/A and hope to better remember the living lesson well: BE KIND!

HUGS!
sybil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Misc/Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: