Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Buffy/Angel NPR Shout out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> B/A Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kendra_W
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Another Buffy/Angel NPR Shout out Reply with quote

Been meaning post this for a while, but during my daily drive into work I heard an NPR report about Dark Shadows. Now, they link Barnabas Collins to the beginning of the modern conflicted vampire, and naturally- we've got some Buffy and Angel scenes in the report.

To listen to it, go here:

http://www.npr.org/2012/05/10/152339082/dark-shadows-the-birth-of-the-modern-tv-vampire

Take Care,
Kendra
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I can't help notice that the article spoke of "the good years."

Yes, Spike's gradual becoming was worthy in the humor, failures and frustration that he couldn't lie to himself in the journey toward human; but his journey was truncated in that he likes being a vampire, while Angel feels damned--maybe Angel lies less, or is more of a truth teller, afterall. Angel's story is a blindness to himself that had been materialized out of thin air on his own series. It's a case of "say it often enough and it is true."

However, as much as this is my complaint on Angel, the narrative lie with Spike is even more painful, as "the mirror," now a same with same parallel, to Buffy became the story over that of Buffy's bcoming in order to prove Buffy would kill loved ones. The gradual change for a shock for Spike, was to mirror Buffy's shock in the rape (to fight for her life) ; but has made her as stuck as any of her vampires and she really is now "become" a cartoon.

I am so glad you are still a devoted fan! Do you know if Ducks continues to write? That forum is where I found you and comic and Cheryl, too!
Be well!
sybil
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Kendra.

That was very interesting. Vampires have become more sensual, more human, more 'handsome' since Dark Shadows.

We never got Dark Shadows here but I had seen snippets of the show elsewhere.

I see that Joss Whedon was congratulated for his Buffy the Vampire Slayer show.

Thank you

Ares
Zuriel
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a couple of rerun episodes of Dark Shadows that weren't impressive, yet at the time they aired, I suppose the show was a new and fresh idea. It felt like a soap opera and I never did like those things.

And it's hard to go back to that kind of vampire with any sort of interest after having the new and improved versions. Very Happy
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to that article, the first 200 episodes had only a hint of the supernatural and it nearly got cancelled.

It came into its own when the vampire was introduced and he became the star of the show.

And yes, the new 'wave' of vampires are certainly much more appealing...

Wink

Ares
shahidjee
Mortal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Boreanaz knew he wanted to be an actor since the age of seven, inspired by Yul Brynnerís performance in The King and I. After college, he decided to pursue acting seriously in California. He made ends meet by parking cars and handing out towels at a sports club until 1993, when he got his first TV gig as a guest appearance on the wildly popular at the time sitcom Married With Children, playing the teenage daughterís burly biker boyfriend. But his big breakthrough came a few years later when he was cast as Angel on Buffy: The Vampire Slayer.

640-816 course pass4sure 640-816 course
VCP-510 course pass4sure VCP-510 course
CISSP course pass4sure CISSP course
350-001 course pass4sure 350-001 course
642-832 course pass4sure 642-832 course
350-030 course pass4sure 350-030 course
PMI-001 course pass4sure PMI-001 course
hp from pass4sure hp from pass4sure
spanishprograms http://spanishprograms.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> B/A Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: