Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Awesomely untranslatable words

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Misc/Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Awesomely untranslatable words Reply with quote

Just read this article about 20 words from various world languages that can't be translated into any other language. One or two may have made me think of B/A; want to guess which ones?
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site had some wonderful links to other places, as well.

I think that someone who really needs to be a writer will love practicing this, using Angel, for example, who has been around the world and, with an eidetic memory, also has a grasp of many languages. The funny of course is that meaning isn’t “the word” and sometimes, “the word” is all there is to describe a minerva. (kind of a “hairball”—like Joss used for the “network” planet in “Serenity”. Yeah, I only know the myth part).

I have heard of some of these words (chuckit25 is Basque, and speaks several languages --he makes it seem just *everybody" is bi-lor multi-lingual, for one reason or another. He is very sensitive to countries trying to destroy languages, and thus, the people themselves. (Duh). Thus, he made a great effort to appreciate language/dialect. "The mistakes make it work; you don't forget."

I learned some Scottish Gaelic, which does me no good at all, as I have no practice with anyone, let alone a native. No, the Irish and Scots don't understand each other's languages, as I noted on the B/A songs thread and, Kean, IIRC, helped us out, back then and saved us all.

I have to admit, that I'm not educated, and the study of words that has no place to use them, hasn't trained my brain for them to "stick."

Finally, I am trying to write a story I just kinda need to tell, “just because” I need to and don’t want to do the really heavy lifting of “short story.” At least, now. I will have to get a beta, loaded with a Hazmat suit and a few nukes, and have no where to put it except here. Even if no one ever reads it, the power of words (and the level of angst produced just slams me so hard) is making me feel utterly shabby and wordy and awful. It always shuts me up. I give up when it is done well. Even, if I disagree, the power and sharp precision make a new truth that is inarguable and changes me and I can’t stand where I was, but can’t be where the writer took me—I have no power to respond.

Thank you for the world of word play, Kairos. It really does speak to a clear mind and a need to truly connect by saying your "experience" as powerfully and with as much beauty as can be gathered and given whole. It was also a little trip to other countries, without the hastle or cost. (My world is mostly about, "Oh, look at that. The cat barfed up a hairball. Somebody should clean that up." There is nobody else). I don't know how you manage to write and participate in some many arenas in your life; the time management is incomprehensible, so it's kinda like “living literature” for me!

HUGS!
sybil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Misc/Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: