Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20th Anniversary Rewatch
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: 20th Anniversary Rewatch Reply with quote

The 20th anniversary of "Welcome to the Hellmouth" / "The Harvest" is coming up soon (March 10). I'm planning to start a rewatch then and try to watch as many episodes as I can on the 20th anniversary of their first airing. Anyone else planning something similar?

It would be fun to discuss with other B/A fans, especially since I didn't do it when the show was actually airing. (I only got into the show recently, so sorry if I'm being annoyingly newbie! I'm about the same age as Buffy the character, and I really wish I had been watching in real-time!)
Cryngle
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing annoying about your enthusiasm. Welcome to the fandom! I will join you in March. I've rewatched recently myself, but ready to do it again. I always learn more and find new paralells between B/A.
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Grace and welcome to the forum! I assure you, someone new falling for B/A is the best possible thing that can happen here. Smile

I can promise you I'll be lurking at the very least when you do your rewatch -- hopefully more, but I'll have to play that by ear. Either way, all power to you!
bonnaleah
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Grace. Count me in for the re-watch too. I've almost finished my ATS re-watch and have already been thinking it was time to re-watch Buffy.
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Grace! Welcome to the forum - and good luck with your rewatch!

"Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome! Glad to hear there is interest!
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELLO! Grace! NEWMAN!!

I guess you are kinda underwhelmed a bit for the big first experience of doing this. I can't tell you how I just stumbled on this on the first March showing, just around Buffy's age, and how RUINED I am for any other show "stacking up" to this one. BE WARNED! hee hee.

I do hope you will write like possessed so we can add or high five or down low "sneaky" on spoilers. Do be clear if you DO NOT WANT SPOILERS!

Also, when I do all caps it is not shouting. It is that lazy in having to hit an extra key to make emphasis. hee. Understand that some of us are those 'rents that just don't understand anything quite the way you do, but I think you will enjoy being hooked and seeing people on screen you might know. A lot of conventions of "why" don't they just" are conventions to control the drama. Like phones. That's all I will say.

I love the scary "dirty trick" of the first scene and how that school door looks like a monstrous mouth eating someone going in! ha! You gotta tell me if you see and like that kind of thing, too.

Be a little patient, enjoy whatever you enjoy, but there are some episodes that will raise your blood pressure for fun and fear!

I do hope YOUSE GUYS OUT THERE spare a word or two for a new fan. It really helped me so very much to "share" and for "knowing folk" to argue stuff and to help me so much with "what to see"--that Giles wasn't lying--in all the "clever" I didn't catch--Okay, so drooling down my chin at YOU KNOW WHO--the pretty--the hands, the backs Joss likes to film, besides you know...really, all the very pretty and the blubber in Kleenex, the laughs, the sure I was gonna just really DIE--never a thing like this before for me! SHARE THE LOVE! THAT IS WHAT IT IS FOR!!

HUGS!
sybil
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. GRACE! I forgot to mention that there are many kinds of resources on this show. I mean people actually have college classes and dissertations on this, but I will toss in this link in case you are curious. They are not perfect and the "original script" vs the shooting script" may have cuts (for time) but! Darkness and "mumble" may happen to your understanding. I don't know how much you control this rewatch, is why I show this:

http://www.buffyworld.com/buffy/
HUGS!
sybil
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the info and the link, sybil!

And, oops, I was totally unclear on the age thing. I meant that I was also born in the early 1980s, so I was in high school when the show started airing. I COULD have watched it in real time, but I was completely clueless.

I know there's a ton to explore on so many levels as you watch, so I really will appreciate your insights! And you don't have to worry about spoilers -- I binge-watched the whole series this summer, so I've been through it once. But I'm looking forward to rewatching and taking more time with each episode instead of just racing through to see what happens next!
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do hope I didn't talk down to you! I just was trying so hard not to wreck your encounter with this show before you dipped in your toes--what ever age you are! I just shared the fact I was young and that made me sympathize with these people so easily (the outsider, which everyone feels--even the person whose life will "peak" in high school. ha! )

This show is very painful and I just can't "laugh off" that pain STILL because I remember "being in it." The only difference, I suppose, is that we are more practiced in surviving it all, and using different techniques to stand "outside" the circumstance or to push away the power of it to 'sting" in how we decide the importance of certain experiences. Standing outside of a moment makes us able to laugh or "judge" it as "non-critical" in a more complex life as adults. Or something.

This is indeed a kind of hardening, cynicism, but I honestly believe Joss wrote in the great "breath of air" called "surprise" that makes his humor LESS cynical than endlessly making fun of his "stupid" pets and minuplate them to act endlessly like idiots. Which, soap opera does, and no one can completely call BTVS NOT a soap opera, in some senses.

I guess I just think Joss loves these characters, but, as a writer, he does torture his protagonists in creating drama that also ISN"T dealt with, as soaps explain away "every single thing" that makes them literally laughable. But, I don't know that, either, as I never watched the genre of soap opera that is fading away, like Bold and the Beautiful--we all work outside the home so much because one income no longer supports an entire family like grandparents talk about, I guess and I mean USUALLLY women, the assumed, target audience, want other things in their lives, I guess, too! (Like "the Pill "and book, Feminine Mystique. also happened).

I say target audience, but I do know a guy who spent a lot of time with his mom watching her telenovelas--Spanish soaps --as "their time" to just 'be' with each other and, I think, made him a little more "clued in" because of it, or at least capable of actually asking questions.

So do you think that Buffy is a strong female? Is Joss a feminist? Big picture stuff....

WHEW! I am glad I don’t have to tippy toe—you know! Also, you have good stuff to share. Spill!! Enquiring minds want to know! Hee.

So you then know about the characters, action, the Angel, and the B/A and the funny and even the use of “the” to make the entire category specific, as in Slayer comma The. And then there is the ANGST and the gutectomy heart break because you really care!

What “got you?” Do you feel you are a shipper? Or do you like great romance, if you believe it seems genuine? Do you even believe in first sight “true love?” I honestly think that many B/A people enjoyed Spike immensely, at least in the first years, when Joss actually ran the show and the fandom re Joss himself is quite split, as you may have seen here.

I do think that Joss truly made “writers” a thing to notice about all our other tv and movie consumption. I know it did for me and that is why I give shows a chance, too, even if the actors are unknown or “unwow worthy” to me. Of course, actor and director driven projects usually crowded out who actually put the thing on the page to even BE on the stage.

Some people like to watch a great story, others understand they like the story because of something that GUIDES the story, e.g. the characters are well developed and even if they aren’t your “prince,” or even evil—behold the freaking hotness of Angelus and the leather pants—and what’s WRONG with me?—you admire or even root for them. Some people appreciate the “conflict” that drives drama and results in action sequences that are just so cool or effectively show the “dance” of matched antagonists. For some the “circumstances” drive the drama and for others the characters own “flaws” make the choices and create the consequences to drive our hopes or despair. And yes, you can’t get away from the fact that this show is emotional, even if the bigger“brainiacs” among us helped guide me personally to try and learn about it as a piece (of literary note and why).

Have you watched other shows that made you feel like Buffy (and Angel—also on his own show—I don’t know if you saw that, additionally in your binge watch)? Which ones? Who’d you root for or ship or why did you like it, maybe in the same way you liked BTVS? Also, do the things that drive your interest seem a recognizable “hunger” in the very same hopes you have for the show? And last, I gotta ask, because I can’t answer anything on this subject: Do you watch reality TV?

So, I’ll turn down the spotlight in this interrogation—hee—so you can even think HOW you think—which I thought I knew, but at Buffy’s age, I hadn’t ever tried to “organize” any of it. I never really thought there could be several kinds of “right and wrong,” depending where you live in the world and how you are taught; how easy it is to be “judgy,” you know?

So what kinds of things do you like to talk about or notice in the show that help you enjoy it more because you did notice and shared it? What stuff do you even want to understand better, cuz it got “complicated?” And BACK you go into the “hot seat!” BWAHHAHAAA! (VEG).

HUGS!
Sybil
a
P.S. I suppose if YOU just start with "Welcome to the Hellmouth" even prior the "watch date"--to give us a warning to actually watch it, as well, we all might have some ideas on what to mention because we might get some sense of what or how you think; what you like?
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do hope I didn't talk down to you!

Oh, not at all! Just wanted to clear up any misconceptions!

Quote:
What “got you?” Do you feel you are a shipper?

I do! I've totally fallen hard. One thing that really drew me into the show is that it now seems so different from the prevailing taste in TV, which seems heavy on anti-heroes and unrelenting grimness (at least to me!). It was really heartening to see a show that featured people actually thinking about, talking about and doing (or trying to do) the right thing, even if they disagreed about what it was. A show that was often dark, sure, but leavened with humor and a sense that, while things could get very hard, there was always something to work toward and hope for.

So when you have two characters who work so hard and sacrifice so much, it seems like they deserve to get what their hearts desire. And it was pretty clear to me that what THEY wanted was each other.

But that's more of a retrospective reason why. In terms of what "got me," they pretty much had me at hello, to put it in '90s terms. Very Happy I just believed the chemistry between them, even when some of the acting was awkward in early Season 1. The "oh, boy" in Teacher's Pet, the "This can't..." "Ever be anything, I know" in Angel ... The small moments, the big stuff, I was totally there for all of it, heart full and overflowing and often broken. (And I often watched their scenes more than once, as you can probably tell!)

Quote:
Have you watched other shows that made you feel like Buffy (and Angel—also on his own show—I don’t know if you saw that, additionally in your binge watch)? Which ones?

I have seen Seasons 1 and 2 of Angel. Still working my way through it!

In terms of other shows, I don't think I've cared as much about a show since "The X-Files," which is what I actually WAS watching in high school. But I stopped watching after around Season 6, and now it seems so long ago. But I definitely would have been considered a Mulder/Scully shipper in those days.

Quote:
Do you watch reality TV? 

I do admit that I have watched and loved The Great British Baking Show! I love how the contestants get along and even help each other sometimes.

Quote:
P.S. I suppose if YOU just start with "Welcome to the Hellmouth" even prior the "watch date"--to give us a warning to actually watch it, as well, we all might have some ideas on what to mention because we might get some sense of what or how you think; what you like?

I will definitely do this. Once we get closer to the anniversary, I will post a schedule so you know when I'll be watching!
elle2
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ i hope it's not yet late for me to say "welcome in Blood Roses, Grace!"

A newbie always means New Hope. And even more fun that you are a Bangel shipper.

May you find more interesting topics to talk about in the future, and if you know other B/A fans, kindly invite them too. Thanks.

Very Happy Heart

P.S.

I hope anyone here who is prolific in writing reviews and recaps, may also open a re-watch thread of Ats, for Angel fans too. Wink

thanks.
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATS: Oh, he is so hot. Oh, my… he’s so gorgeous. Jeez, he really is big…AHHhh. Just…WOW! HEE! That Doyle..I kinda like a lot better than Whistler….DANG! what kind of pick up line is that to tell someone they are gonna die if they don’t change their path? It IS creepy. So…creepy guy, creepy guy…whenEVER is he gonna show up …antic-I-paaaaaaaa yea yea shun! I just can’t take how dark this is, I can’t SEE anything. What? WAIT!—omg—is that his butt crack? My first review of ATS…hee! Don’t ask if that was “then” or “now?” hee.

THAT might not be what you had in mind....Or not.

Hugs
sybil
Grace Newman
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
^ i hope it's not yet late for me to say "welcome in Blood Roses, Grace!"

Thanks for the welcome, elle!

Re: AtS, I'm planning to watch more of it soon, so I'd be interested in discussing!

Also, sybil, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy . Too funny!
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone wants to start a new rewatch thread for Buffy and/or Angel, I'd be glad to sticky it for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: