Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buffy Season 2: 20th Anniversary Rewatch Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grace Newman
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff, bonnaleah!

bonnaleah wrote:
My love/hate relationship with Xander is in full swing. I love him dearly and then he acts like an ass about Angel and I can't stand him again. Xander just wants Angel dead which he will confirm later with the "kick his ass" instead of giving Buffy Willow's truthful message. 

bonnaleah wrote:
Xander is kind of a mess about Willow, and I loved how he talked to her as she lay unconscious. She's his best friend and he loves her.

Definitely with you here. How can Xander be so wonderful and so terrible at the same time? His lie to Buffy is a whole 'nother level of bad to me because it is a crime against Willow, the person he loves most. It's hard to know how much of a difference the lie made in Willow and Buffy's friendship, but I think it did really hurt Buffy, or she wouldn't have brought it up all those years later in Selfless.

Quote:
Do you remember cheering me on? Both of you. Do you remember giving me Willow's message: Kick his ass.

I'm looking forward to rewatching "Dead Man's Party" (even though I remember really disliking that episode) because I feel like having a better understanding of how Xander's lie affected Buffy emotionally from S7 might be helpful to understanding the interaction between Willow and Buffy in that episode. Willow did everything she could to save Angel, at pretty great risk to herself, and she thinks Buffy knows that and that it just didn't work; Buffy thinks Willow really wanted her to kill Angel.

bonnaleah wrote:
Interesting though that Angeus knew enough about the Catholic religion to advise "Ten our Fathers and an act of Contrition". 

I remember reading somewhere that growing up in the merchant class in Galway when Liam did meant he was probably raised Catholic, but I don't have any sources.

bonnaleah wrote:
The Angel/Whistler flashbacks in "Becoming" are the pefrect argument for those who want to call Angel "stalker guy" and put him on the same level as Spike. It was Whistler who took Angel to see Buffy being called and fighting her first vampire...it was Whistler that put it in Angel's mind that he could make something of himself and help. Angel kept an eye on Buffy so he could help her. 

I liked the way taaroko talked about those flashbacks in her (great, as always) review:

Quote:
A lot of people have commented on Angel's reaction to fifteen-year-old Buffy being icky, but despite Whistler joking about how Buffy must be prettier than the last Slayer, I didn't see any lust in how Angel looked at her. In "Helpless," he says that he loved her the first time he saw her, but I think that was agapé love, not eros. He saw a kindred spirit: a girl whose life was about to be hijacked by the supernatural world, just like his own life was. As someone who used to be one of the most terrible examples of the things in the dark that innocent girl would soon be fighting, how could he not want to shield her from some of it? I think the attraction came later, after months of seeing how well Buffy rose to the challenge of being the Slayer.

bonnaleah wrote:
Buffy should remember how she felt when she first found out about vampires than to expect that Joyce would just accept it all without any questions. I know Buffy was fighting the clock here but I thought telling Joyce to have another drink was absolutely terrible.

That scene is so painful, particularly because, as you point out, neither one is entirely in the right. I know I've recommended it before, but I'll put another plug in here for Yahtzee's "Being Lois Lane" for those who haven't read it. It's set in the aftermath of Becoming 2 and gets inside Joyce's head in a believable way.

bonnaleah wrote:
Spuffy's will say Spike helped Buffy because he wanted to save the world, but I think his snicker right before saying it kinda says it all. Angelus had tormented him for months and had moved in on a willing Drusilla....so all he really wanted was a dead Angelus, and for things to be the way they used to be with him and Dru. It's all very clear in the script. He helped because it would benefit him and for no other reason.

He wants whatever will get him Dru back. It's all about the woman he's obsessed with, right? He doesn't even *really* care about Angelus being killed. If he did, it seems like it would've been easy enough to help Buffy actually kill him. Just like his whole speech about not wanting to end the world was conveniently self-serving. That might be how he really feels, but he was game enough for it in Surprise/Innocence, as long as it pleased Dru. Angelus was the one arguing against it at that point.
taaroko
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy, all! Just popping in to thank Grace for all the lovely mentions. I wanted to do those reviews for myself, but I'm glad someone else likes them so much. And you have no idea how relieved and delighted I am to finally know that stupid couch is a Borne settee.
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Glad to know I could be helpful in some small way. I really do love your work, both your reviews and your fic ("Dancing with Death" and "The Slayer and His Vampire" especially). I'll be reading along with your blog during the Season 3 rewatch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: