Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone have an issue with Bangel in Choices?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> B/A Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angelisbetter
Mortal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Does anyone have an issue with Bangel in Choices? Reply with quote

So, Choices isn't one of my favorite episodes but it does have a lot of good scenes. It even has some great Bangel scenes like their heist at the Mayor's office. However, a lot of Bangel scenes bother me in that episode. Choices and The Prom are obviously meant to set up to explain and substantiate the break-up and Angel leaving. But does anyone find Choices too over the top?

There's an initial scene of Buffy and Angel fighting demons. It's cutesy and has a married couple vibe. Yet, when Buffy says:

"No, it's just... Don't you kinda get the feeling we're in a rut? You never take me any place new.?"

It bothers me on many levels, especially when Angel acts like she didn't say something serious.

First of all, why are they in a rut? They haven't been back together for long, and they're always so busy with demon fighting that they don't even have the time to be bored in their relationship. I know Buffy's young and all, but does she ever take Angel any place new? Does she ever go, with friends, anywhere other than the Bronze? It just doesn't fit the relationship or the show. The only time she goes on a date in the first three seasons is with Owen to the Bronze. So where is that new place she hasn't been with Angel?

Second of all, why point out such a serious issue in their relationship if they're just going to be flippant about it? Why would Angel not take what she said into actual consideration?

It seems like the writers are trying to create issues, unnecessarily, in Angel and Buffy's relationship when they already have legitimate issues. Buffy dated Riley and they barely went anywhere too!

And that scene with the Mayor, at the school... I get that the dude's evil and trying to hurt Buffy, but doesn't it just make you roll your eyes when he, conveniently, has a speech ready to address Buffy and Angel's issues? Plus, the next episode, Joyce says the exact same thing...

Honestly, I prefer show rather than tell. Everyone is more than aware of Angel and Buffy's issues regarding the curse, vampirism, the age gap, etc. It's been talked to death, so the crap about a "rut" and two adult figures making speeches about relationships they know nothing about right before the break-up is too much. The over-exposition is just bad writing and it makes the break-up look less natural and less like a choice made by the characters. Hell, it makes me even more opposed to the break-up because I defensive about other characters talking about my ship!

What do you guys think?
Grace Newman
Chosen One

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just about to rewatch Choices, so my feelings might change, but I thought Buffy's talk about being in a rut was more about her feeling dissatisfied with the idea that she wasn't going to get to leave Sunnydale than about Angel particularly, despite what she said. In Enemies, they went to the movies and it was clearly the first time they went together, given Angel's dialogue. Obviously, it didn't go that well, but that was only two episodes ago that they were doing something new together. And then they took a break and were only very recently back "on" again.

I agree, though, that in retrospect, since it's the episode right before the breakup, it seems like the writers are trying to force it to be a relationship thing, rather than just a Buffy thing. Buffy's theoretically going to be fighting demons well into her future whether Angel is with her or not, so it seems unnecessary to put that on him.

The Mayor's speech I chalked up to him being mad at Angel for not being willing to throw Buffy over for Faith in Enemies. Angel dissed his "daughter," so now he's going to attack Angel's relationship with Buffy. I can see why it feels heavy-handed, though.
dcai0830
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the writers wanted me to connect the rut comment with the break up. I kinda never do. I enjoy this little fight. I personally have this back and forth with my husband often and I've had it alot in relationships. You get in a routine and you stop being spontaneous or adventurous and you kinda turn and tell (usually the guy) hey how come you don't do something different for me. So I appreciated the talk because it felt like we were saying a little snip-it of a real life relationship where you grip about doing the same things or going to the same restaurants or fighting at the same cemeteries.

I share in your annoyance AngelisBetter/Carrie (I don't know what to call you lol) that they wanted this conversation to serve as some sort of gaping wound that would end the relationship. As Grace said, Buffy will be hunting demons with or without Angel. Angel at least does little indoor picnics with fruit and cheese trays for their training days. I'm sure she'll miss that! This isn't really a big to do and certainly nothing to break up over.

And you are right they could've gone straight into the real problems, they could and should have shown them resisting the urge to have sex because that is a real problem for two people who are young and attractive and love each other. They should have shown Buffy wanting to invite Angel to like a day time event he can't go to or things that were closer related to his immortality or his vampiric limitations. I think it's kinda dumb.

What the mayor says is very pointed though. And so accurate it hurts my heart. Maybe we need to resurrect the mayor so he can give Comic!Spike and Comic!Buffy that speech. She apparently forgot it.

I love this episode for all of the reasons I put on BB, it is one of the most underrated Bangel episodes. To see them fighting, arguing over regular couple things, to hear Buffy call him honey, to see them partnering up to get the box, their body language and Angel's confidence, plus I think they look good in this episode. Even if its the beginning of the end I always enjoy it.
Mortal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Does anyone have an issue with Bangel in Choices Reply with quote

I do not enjoy the Mayor's speech and how the Mayor seems to think Buffy and Angel are not smart enough to know the difficult aspects of their relationship. I know it is going to motivate Angel to break up with Buffy and that leaves me with a sad feeling. Choices still is one of my favorite episodes of S3 even though I know what it is leading up to. We get to see how Buffy and Angel fight along side each other and work together to achieve a good result and how much they are a viable and stable couple even though they will not stay together. I can safely say that I don't have a problem with Bangel portrayal and would add that they are shown in the same light they always have been.
dcai0830
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone have an issue with Bangel in Choices Reply with quote

Bangelfan4life wrote:
I do not enjoy the Mayor's speech and how the Mayor seems to think Buffy and Angel are not smart enough to know the difficult aspects of their relationship. I know it is going to motivate Angel to break up with Buffy and that leaves me with a sad feeling.

I don't remember how I felt at first watch, its sometimes hard for me how I felt the first time. I mean obviously I was so upset when Angel left Buffy that I refused to watch his show for years so I was probably much more upset about the speech when I first watched it. Now it feels different because I know what's coming so maybe that's why it doesn't bother me.

Also, some part of me really enjoys post s3 BA so much. I just wanted more lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> B/A Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: